Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions BimmerCode or BimmerUtility?

07-27-2023, 03:45 PM   #1
JackMK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 m340i X 2023 G87 M2

BimmerCode or BimmerUtility?

Looking to code my 2023 M340i X and have used BimmerCode in the past. I just wanted to know if there is really a difference between the two? More people seem to be using BimmerUtility
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 05:45 AM   #2
MichaelNRW
B58 Power
Rep
Drives: 05/2022 M340i xDrive Touring

Garage List
Bimmercode is mostly for end users while BimmerUtility can go a little bit deeper and needs more knowledge.
e.g. Bimmercode canīt activate the lane change assistant because acess to the SAS3 is missing while BimmerUtility can do this.
      07-28-2023, 12:33 PM   #3
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

To add to the previous comment, BimmerUtility can also be run on multiple devices such as a laptop as well with the same license. The only advantage to BimmerCode is the ease of use because it's pretty dumbed down if you are not using expert mode. If you want similar functionality in BimmerUtility, you can utilize "cheats" which are predefined settings for a feature you want to enable.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 10:14 PM   #4
JackMK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 m340i X 2023 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
To add to the previous comment, BimmerUtility can also be run on multiple devices such as a laptop as well with the same license. The only advantage to BimmerCode is the ease of use because it's pretty dumbed down if you are not using expert mode. If you want similar functionality in BimmerUtility, you can utilize "cheats" which are predefined settings for a feature you want to enable.
so if I sort of want to access more features to code on my 2023, BimmerUtility is prob the way to go. And is there necessarily more features on BimmerUtility and will the locked coding access effect this (ex: can't code M hud)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 12:04 AM   #5
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMK View Post
so if I sort of want to access more features to code on my 2023, BimmerUtility is prob the way to go. And is there necessarily more features on BimmerUtility and will the locked coding access effect this (ex: can't code M hud)
None of the coding tools will bypass secure coding. This requires a connection to BMW servers to access the config file mapping as well as signing the config files to be loaded onto the ecu’s. Even if you obtain the dealer software, it still requires back end communication for secure coding.
That being said … even without secure coding capabilities, Bimmerutility is still the better tool for older vehicles and will likely be the first to support secure coding capabilities if/when someone cracks that nut.
Appreciate 0