Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications M Performance Exhaust Install

12-28-2023, 09:23 AM   #1
XxSullyxX123
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 M340i xDrive, '20 Rubicon

M Performance Exhaust Install

Hey gents, I picked up my 2024 M340i a few weeks ago and immediately ordered the MPE (brand new from a forum sponsor), as the one I bought didn't have it from port. I installed it last Friday and I had a question for anyone who installed their own at home, like I did. I am no stranger to DIY work, and have done many exhausts and suspensions etc on my cars and friends over the years.

Did anyone have trouble fully seating the MPE slip joints fully over the stock pipes? it was a tight squeeze for my chubby self on rhino ramps, and I spent most of my energy with the exhaust chain cutter. I got the pipes pushed in nearly to fully close the gap on the second slip joint "cut", but there was a slight opening left as I could not get it the extra inch to fully seat. I tried all sorts of things to seat it more, and it just wouldn't go. I cut the stock pipes properly at the dimples, it wasnt a function of not reaching it was a function of being too tight to get on more. Anyway, I clamped right over that spot nice and tight and don't appear to have any leaks, and it sounds fine. just curious if anyone experience this and what you did. after a few heat cycles now I was thinking of getting it back on the ramps and unbolting to see if i can slide it on more, I just am unsure if it will be any easier.

Not my pic, but i edited it and drew a line on it to show as far as I could bury the pipe.
Attached Images

01-30-2024, 11:51 AM   #2
XxSullyxX123
Private
Rep

Guess I'm either the only one with this issue, or the only one that installed my own exhaust and could opine lol.
As its been about a month since I did the install, I can say that it sounds great and there is no exhaust leak at the clamps for reference if anyone in the future runs into this.
It conceptually bothers my OCD and if I get the time, I will loosen and give it another go to fully seat it.
      02-02-2024, 10:55 PM   #3
South Sounder
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340, 2013 X5-50

I installed the MPE on my 2020 M340 a couple of months after purchase. Had a similar challenge but was able to get fully seated by having a helper push on the muffler from the back while I wiggled the piping from under the car and then installed the clamps. Nearly four years later and no leaks.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2024, 07:37 AM   #4
XxSullyxX123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Sounder View Post
I installed the MPE on my 2020 M340 a couple of months after purchase. Had a similar challenge but was able to get fully seated by having a helper push on the muffler from the back while I wiggled the piping from under the car and then installed the clamps. Nearly four years later and no leaks.
smart. I rushed to do it while my kids were at school and my wife wants nothing to do with my modding infatuation over the years
      02-12-2024, 07:40 AM   #5
omgthedonny
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSullyxX123 View Post
Hey gents, I picked up my 2024 M340i a few weeks ago and immediately ordered the MPE (brand new from a forum sponsor), as the one I bought didn't have it from port. I installed it last Friday and I had a question for anyone who installed their own at home, like I did. I am no stranger to DIY work, and have done many exhausts and suspensions etc on my cars and friends over the years.

Did anyone have trouble fully seating the MPE slip joints fully over the stock pipes? it was a tight squeeze for my chubby self on rhino ramps, and I spent most of my energy with the exhaust chain cutter. I got the pipes pushed in nearly to fully close the gap on the second slip joint "cut", but there was a slight opening left as I could not get it the extra inch to fully seat. I tried all sorts of things to seat it more, and it just wouldn't go. I cut the stock pipes properly at the dimples, it wasnt a function of not reaching it was a function of being too tight to get on more. Anyway, I clamped right over that spot nice and tight and don't appear to have any leaks, and it sounds fine. just curious if anyone experience this and what you did. after a few heat cycles now I was thinking of getting it back on the ramps and unbolting to see if i can slide it on more, I just am unsure if it will be any easier.

Not my pic, but i edited it and drew a line on it to show as far as I could bury the pipe.
Where did you get it? I want one too for my 2024 M340 the exhaust note is sad and boring lol. I had 2017 mpssk and it was way better
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 07:49 AM   #6
XxSullyxX123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgthedonny View Post
Where did you get it? I want one too for my 2024 M340 the exhaust note is sad and boring lol. I had 2017 mpssk and it was way better
from getbmwparts.com a forum sponsor here. even with paying for pallet shipping it was cheaper than the local dealer and cheaper than the price if you buy it port installed
      02-14-2024, 07:20 PM   #7
omgthedonny
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSullyxX123 View Post
from getbmwparts.com a forum sponsor here. even with paying for pallet shipping it was cheaper than the local dealer and cheaper than the price if you buy it port installed
Thanks 🙏
Appreciate 1