Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications MHD Review. From JB+ to JB4 to MHD. Finally tuned.

02-06-2024, 04:11 PM   #1
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

MHD Review. From JB+ to JB4 to MHD. Finally tuned.

Warning: Kind of a long post.

It has been a long journey... Three and half years.
From getting excited to plug in the JB+, really excited to plug in the JB4 and now getting BLOWN away with MHD.

After the first drive with MHD, I finally understood why people end up with a actual flash over piggyback.

I currently have the JB4. I thought I was going to be happy with the JB4 / DP / E30. I was, but JB4's only downfall is that it is not going to be consistent. You will get more power for sure but it will fluctuate depending on factors.

So I finally pulled the trigger and got the MHD Unlocker / Super license / MHD wireless adapter. Less then 1000$ (more like 900$) total spent and I am VERRRRRY happy.

I would like to do the first use / drive review for those who are contemplating MHD or debating whether to tune their car or go JB4 route.

So first things first, JUST DO IT! lol... It is that simple. It is amazing.

The MHD Unlocker was the deal maker. For the price ($299) it just cannot be beat.
We are talking about UNLMITED amount of DME unlocking for your car.
Most places charge about 200$ average for a single unlock so with this device you never have to worry about any accidental update that will lock your DME.
I tried to revert to stock on a DME which will lock it again and then unlocked it for test purposes and it was flawless.

At this time I plugged in the MHD wireless (the older, black one) and then connected on my Wifi.
MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON AIRPLANE MODE AND BLUETOOTH SHOULD BE OFF or it has a possibility of disconnecting.
As long as you follow this direction your connection should be rock solid. I did not have any problem once I was in airplane mode.

For those of you familiar with MHD, they have the stage 1 and stage 2.
Stage 2 is for those who has at least a DP on or they do not recommend it for stock cars.
Since I have the DP, I flashed the new patch which has the multi map that can have 4 maps to flash at the same time and just switch it on the fly. This is the one that I've flashed with. Stage 2 multi map. I went with 91/93/E40/E85. I am currently on the E40. I will later try all of them eventually and do a review.

The Unlock process was about 90 seconds and the initial flash (stage 2, multi map 91/93/E40/E85) was bit longer, about 105 seconds.

As soon as I flashed to stage 2 E40 I went for a drive.

HUT.DAMN.

It is a different car now. The simplest and the best way to describe it is that now there is a Sport++.
Comfort feels like Sport, Sport feels like Sport +... You get the story. I just touch the throttle and I am going 45 already.
Its such a satisfying feeling.
The response is so there all the time.
No more wondering.
No more butt dyno.
It is simply more power throughout the entire RPM band.

It is raining bullets in Socal right now so I haven't pushed it yet but even with just a touch, I can for sure feel the additional power and it is a lot.
Fuel is 4.5 gal of E85 / 6 gal of 91, which is around E40 and it is running beautifully.
Stock smoothness and power delivery. No spikes or drops.
Just constant additional HP and TQ.

I immediately realized that I should have gone this route before I bought my JB4.
Don't get me wrong, JB4 is great for anyone who does not want to tinker with the DME.
Or those who does not want to pay 1000's of $$ for femto.
They DO WORK. So not bringing it down by any means.

Let me add a HOW-TO about the MHD Unlocker for those of you who are thinking about it.
You have to have the MHD license to use it because it is tied to your flasher purchase which will be reflected on your MHD app.
So a multiple user should be able to use it if you have the license.
If you have pre-2020/June DME, you are in for a treat.
You can unlock on a whim and it is very simple.
I already used it multiple times. THIS IS A GREAT DEVICE from MHD.

1. Turn off the car and lock

2. Open Hood

3. Open the cover for the DME (Small cover by on the driver side)

4. GENTLY take the six DME connectors out. It takes some patience. There is a latch and a button that prevents the latch from being pushed down.
Press the button GENTLY and then push down the latch GENTLY.
Start from the connector 1 (The one closest to the headlight) and work up to 6.
Important, MAKE SURE THAT ALL SIX GETS TAKEN OUT.
FYI, when you put it back, it is easiest if you go in reverse order, from 6 to 1. You will see why as you do it with how the Latch swings.
Always good to be cautions when dealing with the brain of your expensive M340i lol.

5. GENTLY put the MHD Unlocker DME connector in (there are only two) port 1 and 5. Its easy because each connector can ONLY GO IN to their respective ports. They are all shaped different so there are no danger of being able to put the connector in a wrong port. But don't just push things down, be GENTLE.

6. Put the Positive (Red) clamp on the positive connector and the Negative clamp on the bolt CLOSEST TO THE PASSENGER door, inside of the cover. This is the only negative connection available for this cable because the line between the positive and the negative is pretty short. It wouldn't reach down to the other negative port by the washer fluid cap.

7. At this time the Unlocker will (should) light up. Open up the MHD App at this time and on top left there is a three bar. Touch the three bar and you should have a drop down menu. Click Hardware. Connect the wifi on the phone (Should say MHD Unlocker) and the default password is 12345678.

8. Follow the instructions on the app, as it will guide you. It took me about a minute and the DME was unlocked. ITS THAT EZ.

Hopefully this is helpful for everyone. Ill update as I go. Safe day everyone!
Appreciate 8
Davg31107.00
jpowers36218.00
k4sh_90539.00
seccsc239.00
RTPenland408.50
baturbo47.50
      02-06-2024, 09:32 PM   #2
Onetotree
Registered
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i RWD

Thanks for the review! Great to hear how well it’s working out. Looking forward to your review of the different maps. Thanks for the insight into some of the processes/steps involved.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 10:30 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 11:30 AM   #4
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Congrats
Appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 12:20 PM   #5
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

"touch the throttle and it flies"

i'd love someone to remap my ONLY the throttle response in my 550! press the throttle and nothing happens! lol
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2024, 09:37 AM   #6
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post

i'd love someone to remap my ONLY the throttle response in my 550! press the throttle and nothing happens! lol
Wait, your 550i isn't flying on the touch of the throttle? I mean, 550's are badass. Would LOVEEE to have that V8 turbo on my disposal. I don't think you even need a tune lol. I am sure you are being modest

Isn't there throttle mods out there for 550i?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 11:43 AM   #7
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340i Pride View Post
Wait, your 550i isn't flying on the touch of the throttle? I mean, 550's are badass. Would LOVEEE to have that V8 turbo on my disposal. I don't think you even need a tune lol. I am sure you are being modest

Isn't there throttle mods out there for 550i?
due to the V8 being so badass, BMW M division (i believe) slapped it with a handicap to not overthrow its big brother the M5. so when you have both cars on a standing start, the M5 will always have a 1/2 second headstart because the 550 throttle just won't do anything for 1/2 second from standstill. it just won't.

yeah i don't think anyone's found even a throttle mod to be super helpful. they programmed a slight delay into the throttle computer. but mainly noticeable when from standstill. makes my 340 feel like a tesla (EV).

there you go.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 12:56 PM   #8
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
due to the V8 being so badass, BMW M division (i believe) slapped it with a handicap to not overthrow its big brother the M5. so when you have both cars on a standing start, the M5 will always have a 1/2 second headstart because the 550 throttle just won't do anything for 1/2 second from standstill. it just won't.

yeah i don't think anyone's found even a throttle mod to be super helpful. they programmed a slight delay into the throttle computer. but mainly noticeable when from standstill. makes my 340 feel like a tesla (EV).

there you go.
I did not know that and am surprised by it. But I am sure once it picks up it will go like a freight train!

I think there is a BM3 tune for your engine. Hopefully that might solve the latency problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 03:44 PM   #9
totalone
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 e45, M440

ahh, what a teaser. I am on jb4 now and debating to get unlocked.
      02-10-2024, 04:05 PM   #10
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Quote:

sprint booster or the like maybe
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 11:40 PM   #11
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalone View Post
ahh, what a teaser. I am on jb4 now and debating to get unlocked.
Are you pre-femto?
Let me put it to you this way.
I actually really enjoyed the jb4.
Never regretted it.

Well… After the first drive with mhd flash I INSTANTLY regretted that I didn’t do this sooner.
At that moment jb4 felt like a unnecessary midway step that I shouldn’t have wasted my time on. lol

I also INSTANTLY forgot how jb4 felt lol. Its just… Fundamentally a different feeling.
Not trying to endorse mhd in any way hehe…
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 04:23 PM   #12
Doey
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i 2023

Hey M340i, thanks so much for your detailed post as I was looking for someone's feedback as I'm trying to make the same decision as you!

I have a 2023 M340i and I've been flipping back and forth between MHD and JB4 on 93 petrol only (98RON). I'm hoping to get your opinion on whether the pros of the MHD is worth it for my use.

I'll be only using the car as a daily and I never intend to track it. I previously had an 2018 audi s3 stage 2 tuned, so I don't actually know what a piggyback feels like. Having said that my s3 was very responsive and I could get power very quickly whenever I needed it.
Currently the stock car feels a lot heavier and less zippy than my S3, I'm hoping to get some consistent power in.

Cost:
JB4 = AUD $4200 ($1100 jb4 wireless + $2500 AA DP +600 xHP trans flash)
MHD = AUD$5100-$5600 (Femto unlock $2000 + $1700 Racewerks downpipe + $840 MHD licence + 600 xHP trans flash)

one of the minor benefits of JB is being able to remove the piggy back if needed and recouping that value down the track as a resell...the inconvenience of sending it off to FEMTO doesnt bother me that much.

My main deciding factors would be:
- More power delivered in a comfortable drive. For example, I can't tolerate the stock Sport plus mode because it shifts way too hard and is way too jerky.

What do you mean by the mhd having more consistent power? I'm not planning to ever track or launch it...just some spirited driving. If I put my foot down on the pedal, would you notice any lag, jerkiness or inconsistent power delivery difference between the two? I'm hoping that the xHP tune which I intend to get for both will help bridge any perceived jerkiness.
You mentioned no more butt dyno...So I'm guessing the MHD feels way more responsive from start (i.e. for example the 0-45 with just a tap)? That would actually be a big decider for me if the lower end power delivery was more instantaneous in the MHD.

TLDR:
If you were in my situation with my intended use (i.e. just daily driver, overtaking at lights and on highway etc), do you think the MHD benefits would be enough to justify the increased cost (lets say around $2000 AUD)
also thanks so much for your initial detailed reply!!
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2024, 12:52 PM   #13
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doey View Post
Hey M340i, thanks so much for your detailed post as I was looking for someone's feedback as I'm trying to make the same decision as you!

I have a 2023 M340i and I've been flipping back and forth between MHD and JB4 on 93 petrol only (98RON). I'm hoping to get your opinion on whether the pros of the MHD is worth it for my use.

I'll be only using the car as a daily and I never intend to track it. I previously had an 2018 audi s3 stage 2 tuned, so I don't actually know what a piggyback feels like. Having said that my s3 was very responsive and I could get power very quickly whenever I needed it.
Currently the stock car feels a lot heavier and less zippy than my S3, I'm hoping to get some consistent power in.

Cost:
JB4 = AUD $4200 ($1100 jb4 wireless + $2500 AA DP +600 xHP trans flash)
MHD = AUD$5100-$5600 (Femto unlock $2000 + $1700 Racewerks downpipe + $840 MHD licence + 600 xHP trans flash)

one of the minor benefits of JB is being able to remove the piggy back if needed and recouping that value down the track as a resell...the inconvenience of sending it off to FEMTO doesnt bother me that much.

My main deciding factors would be:
- More power delivered in a comfortable drive. For example, I can't tolerate the stock Sport plus mode because it shifts way too hard and is way too jerky.

What do you mean by the mhd having more consistent power? I'm not planning to ever track or launch it...just some spirited driving. If I put my foot down on the pedal, would you notice any lag, jerkiness or inconsistent power delivery difference between the [...]
Sorry for the late response my friend. So you are very similar to my situation. I use it as a daily just like you. I don’t ever want to take it to track. I want to keep the car for a long time. Like, over 5 years. It wa so sweet to begin with (stock), but now with dp and tune, got a little sweeter.

So when I flashed the car it was raining bullets in Los Angeles area. On a e40 tune car was getting to 45 with literally just a tap. I was giddy, but careful. After the rain was over i did a roll from 45 mph, about 60-70 percent. Rear broke loose like crazy.

Yes the car feels so linear. Instant power from 0. Just like how you would feel going from comfort to sport plus. Now imagine the sport plus becomes plus plus. Or a bit more! To me that describes it the best. Very oem like power.

I know femto charges heavy money…. So I don’t want to rush to tell you to do it. If yours was pre femto then I would have strongly told you to do it lol!!

But way i see is now i have a different car. Much faster than stock. Not to mention i don’t have to worry about it varying or wondering. There is no doubt about it. With jb4, it always makes you wonder “did it kick in yet? A little bit? Oh i feel some now but I don’t later”. It varies a lot. Not to mention that it has a cap where as tune has that cap moved to a higher place.

My hp tq screen now reads 560/640 respectively lol.

A good chance that my car is a mid 11 sec car or better. Might be quicker than your wonderful previous s3.

Hope this helps, ill update my experience as i go. Ill get back quicker next time lol.

Last edited by M340i Pride; 02-20-2024 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 07:41 PM   #14
Doey
Registered
Rep

Thanks so much for your quick reply! That pretty much answers my question and I've been trying to answer that question for the past few months so thank you so much!

It was clear that a flash was better than a JB4, but I could never really quantify how much better...because going off the 0-60 and quarter mile numbers only, it didnt seem that big an improvement. But now it makes sense when you've explained it!

I guess the only thing left to decide is if I get a racewerks DP (200cell) or the AA DP (400cell), incase BMW undo the FEMTO unlock sometime in the future. At least with the AA DP I could still run that on a stock car without throwing a CEL. I'm assuming your DP was also an AA since you did it with only a jb4?
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2024, 08:31 PM   #15
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doey View Post
Thanks so much for your quick reply! That pretty much answers my question and I've been trying to answer that question for the past few months so thank you so much!

It was clear that a flash was better than a JB4, but I could never really quantify how much better...because going off the 0-60 and quarter mile numbers only, it didnt seem that big an improvement. But now it makes sense when you've explained it!

I guess the only thing left to decide is if I get a racewerks DP (200cell) or the AA DP (400cell), incase BMW undo the FEMTO unlock sometime in the future. At least with the AA DP I could still run that on a stock car without throwing a CEL. I'm assuming your DP was also an AA since you did it with only a jb4?
Happy to hear that it helps! Makes it worth while to write personal reviews on them.

Yes im on AA dp, catless. It does throw cel but i got used to that while using jb4 for about 15 months so i am ok with that lol.

I want to say mhd probably shave about at least a .7 sec off of my quarter mile but of course i cannot verify that without getting on the track. But what i feel is that it is a significant difference because you have that significant additional power AT ALL TIMES. So every acceleration is different from stock, at all times. Every one is different but that’s how I see it.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 06:12 AM   #16
Doey
Registered
Rep

definitely helps much appreciated
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2024, 12:24 PM   #17
Polyhedr0n
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i 2020

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Thank you OP for sharing this.
I have a G20 stock and currently thinking JB4 vs MHD. My main concern is going to be the SMOG of CA that might happen in 4 years. To my understanding I have to revert everything I changed on DME back to stock?
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2024, 01:01 PM   #18
CarGuy954
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

Appreciate the info, looking foward to this eventually. Hoping they release one for 20+ DME's so I can avoid femto.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2024, 12:59 AM   #19
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyhedr0n View Post
Thank you OP for sharing this.
I have a G20 stock and currently thinking JB4 vs MHD. My main concern is going to be the SMOG of CA that might happen in 4 years. To my understanding I have to revert everything I changed on DME back to stock?
My understanding is that only the dp needed to be removed and DME flashed back to stock. I am also in the same boat as you and my first smog will come in 2027 or 2028. It should be easy enough I believe.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 01:59 AM   #20
Polyhedr0n
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i 2020

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M340i Pride View Post
My understanding is that only the dp needed to be removed and DME flashed back to stock. I am also in the same boat as you and my first smog will come in 2027 or 2028. It should be easy enough I believe.
Yeah that seems to be the case. Thinking of the M-Link bench unlock/backup so I can revert it and lock/unlock unlimited time.
Also wanted to get the catted DP but also I have to revert it to stock DP. And I don’t have a big enough garage or the tools to DIY the revert.
Does running stage 1 MHD with original DP make a big difference?
Appreciate 1