Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications MHD updated and car wont start...

02-15-2024, 09:38 AM   #1
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

MHD updated and car wont start...

I updated MHD to the latest 4 .5.3 today. After, when I went to start the car it started but with a drivetrain error and I couldn't drive it. I switched engine off and tried again and then the car would not start. It continuously cranked, but would not fire.

I checked DME codes and it showed a fuel pump error.
See attached. It says fuel pump is in "installation mode" so it did sound like the MHD flash is the issue.

I have flashed it a 2nd time, then flashed to stock power, then back to stage 2. After each flash, I tried starting, but same problem - just cranks continuoisly.

I have emailed MHD.

Anyone else have this issue, anyone know how to fix it?

My car is essentially undriveable, can't even get it into neutral.
Luckily it's at home.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 09:56 AM   #2
apwm340i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 20 X3 M40i

What happens if you just flash stage 0 and test if it starts. Not sure if this was done. But yeah I’d wait for them to respond back to you about this.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 09:57 AM   #3
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwm340i View Post
What happens if you just flash stage 0 and test if it starts. Not sure if this was done. But yeah I’d wait for them to respond back to you about this.
I did mention that I tried this. Didn't matter what I flashed, same problem :-(
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 11:57 AM   #4
Manjot14
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I just flashed my car last night with that update, had no issues. Are you flashing to stage Zero or back to stock. If it was stage Zero, Instead flash back to stock and see if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 01:14 PM   #5
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manjot14 View Post
I just flashed my car last night with that update, had no issues. Are you flashing to stage Zero or back to stock. If it was stage Zero, Instead flash back to stock and see if it helps.
If I do that, my DME will be re-lockwd, and I'd have to do a bench unlock to re- tune it.

I will do it, but that's more of a last resort.Waiting to hear from MHD,
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 01:21 PM   #6
Manjot14
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyam View Post
If I do that, my DME will be re-lockwd, and I'd have to do a bench unlock to re- tune it.

I will do it, but that's more of a last resort.Waiting to hear from MHD,
Does it Relock, I thought that's only a thing for Femto Cars?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 01:39 PM   #7
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manjot14 View Post
Does it Relock, I thought that's only a thing for Femto Cars?
I believe it re- locks
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 02:53 PM   #8
baturbo
"It's so choice...I highly rec. picking one up"-FB
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

Quote:
I believe it re- locks
It does
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 02:58 PM   #9
Manjot14
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I believe it re- locks
Good to know thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 09:14 PM   #10
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

I hadn't heard back from MHD and I had to do something so I went ahead and flashed back to stock so it completely uninstalled MHD (which means my DME is bench locked again.)

Still same problem persisted. So I am having BMW roadside assist take it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 09:16 AM   #11
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Please keep us posted with the results; this is concerning. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 10:30 AM   #12
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

OP bummer keep us in the loop

Thoughts re mission mlink unlock tool in this situation and one of the reasons I was impressed with their unlock tool

This is a great use case for the mission flashback feature on their mlink unlock tool with super license and one of the main reasons I went with it. Yes you pay more for the super license but well worth it imho. In that you can keep a clean copy of your DME and always return to that point. If OP had used the tool and had a backup on hand they could simply return to a pre tune state or return to an earlier version of their MHD tune and be happily down the road. It works like a restore point on your phone or computer.

Just something for all of us to keep in mind
Appreciate 1
lebaaron336.00
      02-16-2024, 01:30 PM   #13
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
OP bummer keep us in the loop

Thoughts re mission mlink unlock tool in this situation and one of the reasons I was impressed with their unlock tool

This is a great use case for the mission flashback feature on their mlink unlock tool with super license and one of the main reasons I went with it. Yes you pay more for the super license but well worth it imho. In that you can keep a clean copy of your DME and always return to that point. If OP had used the tool and had a backup on hand they could simply return to a pre tune state or return to an earlier version of their MHD tune and be happily down the road. It works like a restore point on your phone or computer.

Just something for all of us to keep in mind
MHD have that too.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 01:33 PM   #14
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
MHD have that too.
MHD does unlock for sure but does not offer back up and restore feature which is unique to mission. If they did situations like this could be avoided

ps- let me be clear I am simply talking about the m-link unlock device which can still be used with an MHD flash. I am not commenting about the MHD flash software itself

Last edited by RTPenland; 02-16-2024 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: added ps
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 06:06 PM   #15
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, so an update.

MHD have been great. They did take a day to get back to me, but they were emailing regarding the issue. They never quite admitted the problem stemmed from the update - but it did happen immediately after I did that.

MHD offered to remote login to my car and fix the issue. As it is a software issue.

That was great of them.

I declined only because, in trying to get the car started I tried flashing and reflashing the car. In the end I flashed back to stock which uninstalled MHD and re-locked my DME.

Also, befor MHD replied to me initially, I had contacted my dealer and with BMW Roadside arranged to get the car towed to the dealer.

I decided to let the dealership handle the issue as I have a locked DME now. So they will likely run some updates etc and get the car up to date. Which they may as well seeing DME is locked.

Then I will get my DME unlocked and re-flash the DME.

Dealership is great and my service advisor said it should all be done under warranty. I now have an after-market extended warranty with a company the dealership works with a lot and they know what they can get away with.

So the car has just been towed to the dealership today. I will post an update once they have inspected the car.

Bottom line - can't go past MHD and their support. They were there emailing me and offered to log in and fix the issue remotely. Glad I got MHD.
Appreciate 2
seccsc239.00
baturbo47.50
      02-19-2024, 09:51 AM   #16
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

Glad it's all working out for you OP
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 02:33 PM   #17
rostrata
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M340iX

Garage List
Curious if anyone else is getting the “you need to update your installed software” message. Flashed to 4.5.3 and multimapped at the same time. Went perfect. Still complaining I need to update. Look at the code window and it literally shows the most up to date version installed. And with the situation above, makes me nervous about reflashing. Think I’ll hit up MHD and get some input. Just wasn’t sure if anyone else had received such a message.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 09:58 PM   #18
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

UPDATE: BMW have looked at my car and have determined the fuel pump is not working. It is now being replaced under warranty.

So it is entirely possible it has nothing to do with MHD update. It was just weird that the issue happened after the update and the DTC says "fuel pump in installation mode" - but maybe it was a bad fuel pump.

I'll post an update when I know more.
Appreciate 3
baturbo47.50
NiPe13.50
      03-11-2024, 04:10 AM   #19
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE: BMW have looked at my car and have determined the fuel pump is not working. It is now being replaced under warranty.

So it is entirely possible it has nothing to do with MHD update. It was just weird that the issue happened after the update and the DTC says "fuel pump in installation mode" - but maybe it was a bad fuel pump.

I'll post an update when I know more.
BMW replaced the fuel pump and they also updated the software. As I was tuned, I hadn't done that in over a year, but as I was now bench locked (after putting my tune back to stock), I told them go ahead. So I am on 03/2024.25.

I bench unlocked the DME, reflashed MHD and all is good. Working great.

I have noticed that the car actually sounds better - the burbles and ignition cuts sound crisper and louder than before. Maybe messing too much with MHD prior to all this, screwed things around and this "full reset" has actually improved everything.

Thumbs up to MHD for being so responsive, and I am lucky that BMW covered everything under warranty (I have an aftermarket warranty now as the original one expired.) Combined with BMW roadside assist the whole thing cost me nothing, and BMW gave me a BMW loaner while they did the work.

Couldn't ask for more.
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2024, 12:00 PM   #20
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Every time a MHD update is pushed, do we need to reflash? 4.60 was released, and I wasn't able to read codes with MHD until I reflashed my DME. They push out a lot of releases, so that's a lot of reflashes (and opportunities for issues). Any problems with not updating, or should we keep up to date with MHD?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 07:50 PM   #21
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcfc View Post
Every time a MHD update is pushed, do we need to reflash? 4.60 was released, and I wasn't able to read codes with MHD until I reflashed my DME. They push out a lot of releases, so that's a lot of reflashes (and opportunities for issues). Any problems with not updating, or should we keep up to date with MHD?
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Read the notes on the update, if they affect you, then update. Otherwise no need. I would update if something in the update is important to me, otherwise it will be updated when I make an adjustment and have to re-flash.

This particular time I just decided to do the update. All fine, no real difference.
Appreciate 0