Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums CANADA I bought a used M340i and it has issues, plus new drama

07-24-2020, 10:36 PM   #1
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

It has come to my attention that prospective new or used BMW buyers should be cautious when considering a purchase from any major Canadian BMW dealer, especially from Parkview BMW and BMW Toronto privately owned by the Quinn Group in Canada. The organization of dealers is riddled with corruption, as I discovered firsthand.

Upon leasing a BMW vehicle from this dealer, I found that it had severe suspension issues and a massive burn mark under the rear floor mat, which the dealer expected me to pay for. Upon examining my lease, I discovered that they had charged me a whopping 20k over the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for a used car with 5600km, and the lease even falsely stated that the car had zero miles when it was, in fact, driven for 5600km. The residual value of the vehicle was set at an exorbitant 40k, making the total price for the car amount to 121,000 Canadian dollars plus tax.

Despite being aware of this poor deal, I did not initially raise any objections until the dealer began to lie and engage in other dishonest tactics, causing further damage to my car in the process. In total, I made sixteen attempts to have the suspension damage fixed, but the dealer even attempted to pin the blame on me, claiming that I was a reckless driver, and went so far as to swap my tires for old ones before they could fix the shock mounts. It appeared that they were hoping I would crash the vehicle.

A colleague of mine also had a similar experience with this dealer. They returned a leased vehicle with only 40% of the agreed-upon mileage used, and despite the car being in mint condition, the dealer tried to charge them 9k for damages. I must caution other buyers to be wary of leasing from this dealer, as their leases appear to be designed to trap unsuspecting customers.

The BMW dealers of Canada appear to operate with impunity, perhaps due to their extensive legal team and loyal customer base that supports their corrupt practices. Anyone outside of this sphere appears to be a target. I have visited four different BMW dealerships, all of which proved to be unreliable and untrustworthy.

Even an independent mechanic confirmed that my vehicle's suspension was not up to specifications and may have been swapped for a downgrade or repaired incorrectly, but the BMW dealerships remained unresponsive to my concerns.

BMW Canada has been a source of frustration throughout this process, stringing me along with false promises of reimbursement for the numerous days/months that my car was static in repair, only to ultimately refuse any form of compensation. Despite my leasing agreement, they should be held responsible for the time during which I was paying for a vehicle that was in a state of disrepair.

Their final response to me, after numerous back-and-forth emails, was a disappointing and unhelpful statement: "Our authorized BMW retailers have advised that your vehicle is at the correct ride height, and there are no other issues. Unfortunately, BMW Canada would not be able to offer any form of compensation. I apologize for any disappointment this may cause. Although we empathize with your situation, we have no further information at this time. Since we have no further information to share with you on this matter, we are closing the file."

It appears that if a customer raises issues or complains about their car, the BMW dealerships and BMW Canada are unwilling to address major problems, making the process a living hell for the customer. They appear to cover each other's backs, with a culture of poor judgment decisions that are perhaps influenced by higher authorities. A quick Google search will reveal the astonishing criminal acts that these dealerships have committed against their customers and even their own employees.

In conclusion, I deeply regret my decision to purchase a BMW from these dealerships and warn all prospective buyers

Video link:

The suspension issue that I have experienced with the BMW dealerships is quite concerning, to say the least. Despite multiple attempts by various dealerships to rectify the problem, my vehicle's suspension remains significantly higher than the manufacturer's specifications, causing my headlights to be inappropriately aimed and endangering other drivers on the road.

I find it perplexing that these dealerships are insisting that my vehicle is in proper working order when it is evident to anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of automobiles that the suspension is noticeably out of alignment. Even after four separate adjustments, the suspension remains off by a considerable margin.

The consequences of this issue are grave. Other drivers on the road are being blinded by the glare of my headlights, causing a potential hazard to everyone involved. Despite my attempts to seek assistance from BMW Canada, the response has been lackluster, with no real attempt made to address the issue in a satisfactory manner.

I implore BMW to take my concerns seriously and to take swift action to remedy this problem. The safety of drivers and passengers alike should always be of paramount importance, and it is disconcerting that such a significant issue is being overlooked by the very dealerships that are supposed to be experts in their field.
Attached Images

Last edited by DanVlnStud; 04-29-2023 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: DETAILS - UPDATES - PICS
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2020, 12:24 AM   #2
Dingleverry1494
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

My brakes have never, ever made that noise on my M340i. They probably have you a BS reason. Unless they are racing brakes, they shouldn't be making a noise that horrid.

For the steering issue, I had the same problem on my Mustang. It had something to do with the steering rack, I'd have to check my service records to check. It made the exact same sound when turning. Can't really compare a mustang and a m340i, but I'd bet that it's the same issue. I was luckily under warranty and it was solved in 1 visit for free.

Whenever I drop off for major service/ warranty work, I usually have them note the mileage and fuel level. If I notice excessive mileage and excessive fuel usage, I demand it to be rectified. I can understand 10 miles on the car for a test drive after service, but not 50 miles and a quarter tank of fuel drained.
Appreciate 2
cjack29.50
      07-25-2020, 04:11 AM   #3
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

The noise from the steering near/at the steering limit may be a result of the strut spring binding in the lower spring pad (#2), top piston protector (#4) or from the Guide support (#5) in the strut assembly. Please refer to this link for #s referenced - https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...iX/USA/31_1557

If you are up to continuing to diagnose yourself, try spraying a silicon lub on coil springs where they makes contact in the strut assembly.

I would not be too concerned with the brake squeal. Your brakes are relatively new so I suspect the squeal is caused by pad vibration. If the squeal really bothers you, there are a number of things you can do to try dampen/change the resonant frequency to reduce the noise - https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...queaky-brakes/

I would start with methods to decouple the caliper from the pads. For the G20, BMW uses an adhesive on the backside of the pads in an attempt to minimize pad vibration. Other manufactures use a backing plate/sim designed to dampen vibration. This adhesive is not very strong and I suspect not effective at managing vibration. Per the reference, try to find teflon shims or lube the back plate as well as all pad to caliper contact points -

Larry

Last edited by larrylam646; 07-25-2020 at 04:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 06:07 AM   #4
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-Sport

I don't think you should be having to diagnose or resolve any of these issues yourself.

That's the job of the dealer. It's their job to ensure you are 100% satisfied and they shouldn't stop until you are.

Even if they believe there are no faults, they should do a much better job of convincing you so.

It's so sad to see such poor levels of after sales customer service - unfortunately it's becoming all to common I feel.
Appreciate 6
howiegu54.50
EXE462097.00
MineralM249.00
A6bullet336.00
      07-25-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Dry steering is what you do in a parking lot lol. Did you try another dealer? At this point since it has been escalated already they may not be able to do much though.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2020, 07:04 AM   #6
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

And THIS..... Is why I buy *new* cars.
Appreciate 5
      07-25-2020, 09:21 AM   #7
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m340i xdrive

Sorry to hear about all your troubles! Don’t give up until you’re satisfied with either a) a fix or b) an explanation that is understandable/satisfactory.
Appreciate 3
      07-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #8
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Find another dealer, why keep going to the same one and getting the same lousy service. All your issues should be covered under warranty.
city1991228.00
gnolivos306.00
      07-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #9
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
The dealer told you the brake squeaking is bc of the CCB's? This vehicle doesn't even have the CCB's...

Looks like that carpet was burnt from something overheating. Good news is the vehicle is still under warranty
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2020, 09:00 PM   #10
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

1. Raise hell
2. Name the dealer so we all know whom to avoid

I had one bad experience with a dealership back in 2010 (not BMW brand) where the dude basically got physical with me after avoiding calls, not doing paperwork, not giving me delivery dates, etc to where I had to work around him for everything, then claimed to be the GM when I asked for someone higher. There were witnesses from his coworkers. I found and contacted the GM, regional, and corporate managers. He got blacklisted from every dealership (of any brand) in a 100 mile radius, dealership came back with free services, gas, and got me my truck pronto. I didn't go full nuclear and get the dealership itself blacklisted, just the asshat I had to deal with.

And what I had to deal with was significantly less, imo, than what you're dealing with.
Appreciate 4
bsmf8x777.00
A6bullet336.00
KoenG1417.50
      07-25-2020, 09:28 PM   #11
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i-X

Personally I would lose my shit. you should ABSOLUTELY NOT try to be figuring this stuff on your own. Your M340i isn't old, and obviously something is iffy. If you seriously didn't do anything to it, I would totally lose my shit at this dealership. You still have full warranty and shouldn't worry about ANYTHING. it's all on them.
Appreciate 4
bsmf8x777.00
KoenG1417.50
city1991228.00
      07-25-2020, 09:41 PM   #12
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
Unfortunately true. Unless you know the owner and car, steer clear of buying used because the extent of “used” is vague and an unknown risk until after it’s yours.
Appreciate 2
KoenG1417.50
      07-25-2020, 09:50 PM   #13
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
The dealer told you the brake squeaking is bc of the CCB's? This vehicle doesn't even have the CCB's...

Looks like that carpet was burnt from something overheating. Good news is the vehicle is still under warranty
Not if they are blaming me for the damage.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 09:58 PM   #14
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Dry steering is what you do in a parking lot lol. Did you try another dealer? At this point since it has been escalated already they may not be able to do much though.
I have an appointment Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 10:02 PM   #15
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Next Car, I’ll do that.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 10:04 PM   #16
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Find another dealer, why keep going to the same one and getting the same lousy service. All your issues should be covered under warranty.
I was hoping for they would come to terms with their screw up.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 10:11 PM   #17
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don76 View Post
I don't think you should be having to diagnose or resolve any of these issues yourself.

That's the job of the dealer. It's their job to ensure you are 100% satisfied and they shouldn't stop until you are.

Even if they believe there are no faults, they should do a much better job of convincing you so.

It's so sad to see such poor levels of after sales customer service - unfortunately it's becoming all to common I feel.
The GM controls what the employees say or do. I’m so close to lawyering up.

Last edited by DanVlnStud; 07-29-2020 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x777.00
      07-25-2020, 10:15 PM   #18
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanVlnStud View Post
The GM controls everyone it seems and he’s a sketchy fucker. He sounds a like spoiled shit that inherited the position. I’m so close to lawyering up.
Don't even need to lawyer up. Try some strongly-worded emails detailing your issues to regional / corporate first and see if that doesn't change his tune - and try going to another dealer after you send the emails Dunno about where you live but there are at least 5-6 within an hour's drive of me.
Appreciate 2
      07-25-2020, 10:29 PM   #19
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwrock View Post
Personally I would lose my shit. you should ABSOLUTELY NOT try to be figuring this stuff on your own. Your M340i isn't old, and obviously something is iffy. If you seriously didn't do anything to it, I would totally lose my shit at this dealership. You still have full warranty and shouldn't worry about ANYTHING. it's all on them.
I solemnly swear I did not do anything. The day I found the hole in the carpet, I had just purchased around 900 dollars of detailing gear to make the car like new again. After detailing the exterior, I used a really powerful 750CFM leaf blower to blow out 8 months of dust and it was the last thing I found when I started to vacuum. It was all smiles and then sudden frustration turned to anger after being bullied by the GM.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 10:40 PM   #20
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
But then you also take the *depreciation* hit financially and that cost is significant.

Also, not everyone has the money to buy a brand new BMW.

Quote:
Next Car, I’ll do that.
There is no reason to go out a buy a new car and make a stupid financial decision because someone on the internet said so. Next time, just have a PPI(pre-purchase inspection) done by a reputable shop. You'll be set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 1
Bobh5952.00
      07-25-2020, 10:43 PM   #21
G20Dan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

Quote:
I solemnly swear I did not do anything. The day I found the hole in the carpet, I had just purchased around 900 dollars of detailing gear to make the car like new again. After detailing the exterior, I used a really powerful 750CFM leaf blower to blow out 8 months of dust and it was the last thing I found when I started to vacuum. It was all smiles and then sudden frustration turned to anger after being bullied by the GM.
I feel bad for you man! I bought my new and mine doesn't have any of those issues after 2K miles. Hopefully you get it all worked out and can enjoy the car as it's meant to be.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 12:56 AM   #22
Aileron88
Rep
Drives: M340i

In the UK a dealers status is everything and they can be investigated by BMW UK for customer complaints. How does it work in the US?
Appreciate 1
drexplode1762.00