4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Removing Caliper Holders

01-04-2024, 06:34 AM   #1
JReed
Rep
Drives: Alpine White X3 35i M Sport

Removing Caliper Holders

I have been trying to change my brake pads and rotors myself on my 2019 330i with non-MSport brakes... the pads have been easy enough, but I've had some serious difficulty in removing the caliper holder to access the rotors. The Torx screws on the back are impossible to remove. I've tried everything, impact wrench, breaker bar, soaked them in WD40 - but nothing. This has been for all 4 axles, so clearly I'm doing something wrong. Anyone have any luck with this? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 05:24 PM   #2
KyK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
I have been trying to change my brake pads and rotors myself on my 2019 330i with non-MSport brakes... the pads have been easy enough, but I've had some serious difficulty in removing the caliper holder to access the rotors. The Torx screws on the back are impossible to remove. I've tried everything, impact wrench, breaker bar, soaked them in WD40 - but nothing. This has been for all 4 axles, so clearly I'm doing something wrong. Anyone have any luck with this? Thanks!
Those bolts are just normally very hard to remove especially because of the spot that they are in and the fact that they're tightened to 110nm. I'd try some penetrating oil or some heat
Porsche 911 Carrera T (retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 11:19 AM   #3
scotes
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

A lot of PB Blaster and patience. They will come off. You may need to let it soak for an hour or so. For the rears it's also a bit difficult to get a breaker bar in there with some leverage. I gave it a whack with my impact wrench but was a bit hesitant to really have at it for fear of the stress on the bolt. Constant pressure on the breaker bar is what got me there.

Also, for the PB Blaster you want to put it at the seam between the two parts and not at the bolt head. I didn't realize till I got the first one off that the threads don't go up to the bolt head so the penetrating oil wasn't getting to where it needed to be.

I've only done the rears at this point but the fronts should be a little easier as you can turn the wheels for easier access for a bigger breaker bar.
Appreciate 0