Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Retrofitting and coding digital cluster

11-07-2020, 05:35 AM   #1
juanmad
Private
Rep
Drives: G20

Retrofitting and coding digital cluster

Hi there, I just bought a digital cluster that I would like to retrofit to my car. I own a g20 live cockpit plus which comes with the analog ones however I've seen that one guy posted on a video that did it and has the same car.

However, I am wondering what it would take to do it myself.. Precisely what should I be looking to code and my most concern when coding is how to find out what value to code because everything is so cryptic pretty much. I have Esys and OBD to ethernet.

Hope I could get some help. This is what I'm trying to do

I am still wating for the cluster to arrive so until then I am getting ahead beforehand on what I should code.

From what I've seen people that change their cluster code the DKOMBI module however in this case where I am changing the cluster I am wondering if there is something more that I should do.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 10:30 AM   #2
vsterian
Rep
Drives: BMW 320xd G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmad View Post
Hi there, I just bought a digital cluster that I would like to retrofit to my car. I own a g20 live cockpit plus which comes with the analog ones however I've seen that one guy posted on a video that did it and has the same car.

However, I am wondering what it would take to do it myself.. Precisely what should I be looking to code and my most concern when coding is how to find out what value to code because everything is so cryptic pretty much. I have Esys and OBD to ethernet.

I am still wating for the cluster to arrive so until then I am getting ahead beforehand on what I should code.

From what I've seen people that change their cluster code the DKOMBI module however in this case where I am changing the cluster I am wondering if there is something more that I should do.

Thanks in advance.
Be aware that many functions that exist on the Full Digital Cockpit will not work because you don't have the MGU unit.
For sure you won't have the navigation in the middle of the screen....

Let us know how it goes.Instead of the full digital cluster, I would go for a bigger central screen( the 10" one), but I understood from one thread of this forum that it's very expensive to do that.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
juanmad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsterian View Post
Be aware that many functions that exist on the Full Digital Cockpit will not work because you don't have the MGU unit.
For sure you won't have the navigation in the middle of the screen....
Well I'm ok with that, navigation is not supported on my country so it wouldn't matter either way. As a matter of fact, from the official BMW dealer in my country, a 2020 BMW x6 retailed at 120.000 USD (I asked) and this how its cluster looks.. no navigation either so at least for me it does not matter, and that x6 for sure is MGU.

The other picture is from an x3, also no nav in the cluster.
Attached Images

Last edited by juanmad; 11-07-2020 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      11-08-2020, 01:22 AM   #4
Shoupness
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmad View Post

Thanks in advance.
I personally like the cluster a lot. It's different but it looks like something from a video game. The default and the alpina look great too me. Keep us posted on how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 09:33 AM   #5
Basti@G20 320D
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E46, F30, G20

I like the analog tacho.......digital is boring......btw what king of country don't support navigation....??? North korea?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 09:20 PM   #6
juanmad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti@G20 320D View Post
I like the analog tacho.......digital is boring......btw what king of country don't support navigation....??? North korea?
Paraguay..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 11:54 AM   #7
kemiksiz
Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi Folks

I am the owner of the youtube channel that u share and it’s my G80 Conversion project car indeed

You can use it like I did by smith remains missing;
- no Navi
- missing some radio / source functions
- can’t see the trip computer options
- no service history
- won’t see the warnings as far as I noticed.

I have changed it to stock last month and waiting for the Mgu mods

For the G80 conversion project u may also follow me on instagram: @sertackemiksiz (95K) - The one who made a full interior / exterior conversion from f30 to F80 & B9 A4 Avant to RS4 Now it’s time to make G80 😁

In Turkey G80 Costs like 250-280K dollars and a conversion will cost 1/4 around. I hate paying that much taxes ( taxes r like 3 or 4 times of the actual car costs here
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 12:07 PM   #8
GeorgeRSA
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Garage List
  [0.00]
Successful G20 Instrument Cluster Upgrade

Hi everyone.

For the sake of awareness, I have shared my journey of upgrading to the full digital instrument cluster with 100% functionality on my 2020 G20.
Check it out over here https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2057556
Appreciate 0