Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Lexus RC-F unveiled.

01-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #67
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Ok after seeing the video, it definitely looks better than static pictures. But I still stand by the fact that I think the fenders look squished, and the headlights are just disproportionally small. Oh and no MT is also a deal breaker for me anyway haha.

Yea I'm keeping a close eye on the BRZ. Too many rumors about the power bump during LCI so I'm definitely not in any hurry to get one. They are enticing to me because neither of my 2 cars average more than 20mpg haha. I've really warmed up to the Mustang (although I'm still not 100% sure about the rear bumper), but it doesn't make sense for me to have 2 big V8 coupes. So I'm looking to go completely opposite end of the spectrum... or dream about a Porsche haha
I want to want a BRZ... I'm just having issues with the interior. If I did the RB WBK I probably wouldn't give a rat's ass, but I had a chance to sit in a MkVII Golf test mule that a friend has been driving and I feel like I can't get a GT86 knowing how many better options are out there. I really just want a car that isn't heavy, is easy to kick the rear out on demand, and has a decent interior, and I don't want to spend more than $35-40k. I think the sixth gen Mustang will fit that bill a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
Well said. M4 is a winner but the RC-F can't be ignored. Sure, there are design elements that I probably would have done differently but the side profile and stance is amazing. There are also quite a lot of nice features that you will notice if you pay attention. For a first attempt at a coupe in this segment Lexus has done a good job.

Someone also made a comment earlier that things have changed and M isn't necessarily the clear winner anymore. I tend to agree with that. I think now the M/AMG/RS/F rivals are all offering serious packages; in the end it comes down to personal preference.
100%. These OEMs have the formula down to the T, and we're all spoiled with more than capable options to choose from. Some models have reportedly taken a hit in overall capability (outgoing RS4), but it's really splitting hairs at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
+1 the entire Lexota portfolio is trash. This car lacks any sense of design cohesion and just seems to be another iteration of "Techno" kitsch exclusive to the Japanese.
You don't understand what cohesion is if you think this doesn't have it. The surfacing and design elements are completely homogenous. It's actually amazing that they designed something that can look haphazard to an untrained eye yet works so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
I think new Lexus RC-F looks great, very futuristic and future oriented car. In 2 years or so 4-series/M4 will look dated, actually they already look dated. Lexus RC-F looks like it's 2 generation ahead of BMW in terms of interior and exterior design. Much more modern looking car. And with nice LFA-style front bodykit it will look so much more exotic...
I wouldn't say that the F32/82 will look dated quicker; their conservative elements won't wear on the eye as quickly. The RC-F definitely looks like it came out of a different era, but the M twins are solidly designed, despite being predictable and conservative.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #68
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Aww don't get butt-hurt champ. Just calling it as I see it. For the price they're going to charge for this car... the interior is GARBAGE in my eyes.
And FYI if u think the interior had anything to do with the purchase of my weekend E86... Then you know less about cars than I even gave u credit for. Run along punk
The passive aggressive sarcasm is palpable, but hey, if you want to act like a kid go for it.

You took a pot shot that you can't back up, although I'll give you $100 Monopoly dollars if you can find a car 'circa-1993' with an interior that's even vaguely similar.

Go for it, I dare you.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #69
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
Aww don't get butt-hurt champ. Just calling it as I see it. For the price they're going to charge for this car... the interior is GARBAGE in my eyes.
And FYI if u think the interior had anything to do with the purchase of my weekend E86... Then you know less about cars than I even gave u credit for. Run along punk
How do you know it's garbage? Are you just basing your opinion on some medium-res pictures you saw on the internet?

Or am I talking to a high level Lexus employee who has had intimate access to the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #70
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

I appreciate what Lexus is doing, they're finally making their brand stand out, and they're getting serious about performance.

The styling isn't for everyone, but that's what they need to break away from their "boring, no road feel" past. They're headed in a new direction and these are the kind of cars they need to make to get peoples attention.

As of right now the styling isn't for me, the only thing I like is the gauges. I really have to see it in person, I've seen a few new IS's around and they don't look as bad in person.

I have a feeling this car will handle and perform great, but it won't outperform the M3/M4. It'll be too heavy, and while the v8 will pump out more hp and maybe match the torque, since it's N/A the torque won't come until higher revs, compared to the M3/M4 with it's lighter weight and torque down low. On it's own though I think this car will be a great performer, but I don't think it'll come out on top in comparison testing.
That's just my opinion of what I think will happen.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #71
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

The rear bumper, the thickening-too much visual heft. It would be better served if there was a screen/opening.

Like this...

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #72
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Love one in BLACK:

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #73
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
Love one in BLACK:

Wow the RCF in black look stunning. As I expected the black makes the grill quite a bit more bearable.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 11:39 PM   #74
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

As usual black hides a lot of lines, in other words hides some of the ugly.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 11:42 PM   #75
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
As usual black hides a lot of lines, in other words hides some of the ugly.
The lines are the best part of this car IMO. It's the grill that's hideous.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #76
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
It tones down that too. If I had to drive one, it would be black for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #77
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
The rear bumper, the thickening-too much visual heft. It would be better served if there was a screen/opening.

Like this...
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying that the fender blisters would look better if they were vents?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #78
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
It tones down that too. If I had to drive one, it would be black for sure.
Good thing nobody's forcing you to buy or drive one.

I could help shorten all of your posts without changing your points either seeing as it's been the same thing every time. Just copy and paste this from now on:

"I clearly do not like Lexus. Everybody needs to know I don't like Lexus. They're ugly. BMW is better. The end."
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #79
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post

I could help shorten all of your posts without changing your points either seeing as it's been the same thing every time. Just copy and paste this from now on:

"I clearly do not like Lexus. Everybody needs to know I don't like Lexus. They're ugly. BMW is better. The end."
Wrong.

I like Lexus. As I has said before, I would drive a IS-F all day long. The LF-A is an incredible car. I just think Lexus styling is headed for the sh*tter. Take the LF-NX for example. If that is a sign of their future desing language, then they are going to ruin each model one by one. Really a shame considering the specs on RC-F look to be very good.

I currently am not interested in any new BMW's, they have become soft. The new M3/M4 is not very attractive either. BMW has lost their minds. No more normally aspirated engines, building EV's and hybrids, front wheel drive cars, joint ventures with Toyota, efficient dynamics, etc...

So your statement is way off. No, I don't hate Lexus. No, BMW is not better. Actually that have been losing many comparos. I just think this car's front end is straight up ugly.

Last edited by hellrotm; 01-11-2014 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #80
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:

Or something like this:

"I clearly think Lexus design team have their heads up their asses. Everybody needs to know the OP gets butt-hurt every time we express an OPINION contrary to his own. They are fugly as hell and we BMW enthusiasts should count our lucky stars that despite erring on the conservative side... BMW team lead didn't come up with crap like this."
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #81
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying that the fender blisters would look better if they were vents?
Yes

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #82
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
Or something like this:

"I clearly think Lexus design team have their heads up their asses. Everybody needs to know the OP gets butt-hurt every time we express an OPINION contrary to his own. They are fugly as hell and we BMW enthusiasts should count our lucky stars that despite erring on the conservative side... BMW team lead didn't come up with crap like this."
Why the heck are you in this thread if that's what you feel? Do you just enjoy being a negative douche? Why not let others discuss a car that you find "fugly as hell" without you coming into every thread to remind them of your disdain for the brand anytime you want to go on a toddler tantrum. We get it, you think it's ugly, we knew that 2 pages ago. Thanks for your opinion dude! Now maybe you can move on and stop hijacking this thread for your giggles.

Last edited by MediaArtist; 01-13-2014 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #83
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
I might get another lexus in black lol
      01-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #84
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Wrong.

I like Lexus. As I has said before, I would drive a IS-F all day long. The LF-A is an incredible car. I just think Lexus styling is headed for the sh*tter. Take the LF-NX for example. If that is a sign of their future desing language, then they are going to ruin each model one by one. Really a shame considering the specs on RC-F look to be very good.

I currently am not interested in any new BMW's, they have become soft. The new M3/M4 is not very attractive either. BMW has lost their minds. No more normally aspirated engines, building EV's and hybrids, front wheel drive cars, joint ventures with Toyota, efficient dynamics, etc...

So your statement is way off. No, I don't hate Lexus. No, BMW is not better. Actually that have been losing many comparos. I just think this car's front end is straight up ugly.
Your entire recent post history in any Lexus thread is the same thing. You basically call things off as ugly. I don't see the point in generic slander, especially when there's no real conversation to be made from it. It's kind of like name calling without any substance and it gets old. I think we get your point already. Try to keep the general auto section objective (unlike every other sub on this forum).

Quote:
Or something like this:

No point in responding to the bait, but you might as well look at my response above. Throwing out "hurr durr, so ugly, so hideous, better hide the ugly, etc." doesn't really add anything to the discussion.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #85
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

^ I agree the "omg ugly predator grill blarlalralr M4 da beeeeest because ///M power baby!!!" posts are not substantive and pretty useless, but it's pretty easy to gloss over those posts. They tend to be one or two lines long and no harm is really done IMO.

I think you should learn to take these posts in stride.

Personally, I have no allegiances to any car brand so I don't really care whether sub-group X (e.g. posters on bimmerpost) think car brand Y (e.g. Lexus) is ugly or whatever.

Go over to a Porsche or Ferrari forum and you'll find plenty of condescending posts about BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #86
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX
^ I agree the "omg ugly predator grill blarlalralr M4 da beeeeest because ///M power baby!!!" posts are not substantive and pretty useless, but it's pretty easy to gloss over those posts. They tend to be one or two lines long and no harm is really done IMO.

I think you should learn to take these posts in stride.

Personally, I have no allegiances to any car brand so I don't really care whether sub-group X (e.g. posters on bimmerpost) think car brand Y (e.g. Lexus) is ugly or whatever.

Go over to a Porsche or Ferrari forum and you'll find plenty of condescending posts about BMW.
I try to an extent. This is my least browsed and used forum (I probably wouldn't use it if it weren't for the great iOS app). I literally only come to this subforum to see new opinions and discussions. I prefer Autoblog, Jalopnik, pistonheads, and /r/cars much more, since they're general car enthusiast sites, and I'm the same way: no allegiance to any particular brand. Never got into 6speed but I've been told that there's quality over there.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #87
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

This car will have great road presence, definitely a head turner.

Can't wait to see some numbers
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #88
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

Looks very promising, perhaps the baby LFA i hoped for. M4, Z06 now this...decisions
Appreciate 0