BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

06-23-2022, 05:51 PM   #23
BugKiller
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M4Cx cvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
In California, ...

Sounds like a cool cop ...

Paid the fine, first ever speeding ticket, so I signed up for "probation" - no tickets for 6 months and it was like the ticket never happened...
TY for the Cali update. Not sure whether I will mount my front vanity plate when my car gets here.

My "cool cop" story: Pulled over in Nevada doing 140 (instant on radar). Chatted with the cop about if there are still stock car races in Tonopah and he wrote me up for 80 in a 70.

Used to take the traffic school option when I did get a ticket in Cali. (none lately). Online school in a bathrobe on a Sunday took me 3-1/2 hours rather than the 8 hours in-person. Wife then was not computer literate so she had to attend in-person and was pissed off until I suggested she go to a comedy traffic school (literally two nights for fours each mid-week in a comedy club). After I saw the movie Falling Down with the billboard scene I told my self I would go to topless traffic school but never did. Is that still available?
      06-23-2022, 06:14 PM   #24
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
I am hoping when the LAPD see that car with the ND sticker they tow and inpound it.

Dang, shots fired…
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 06:22 PM   #25
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugKiller View Post
TY for the Cali update. Not sure whether I will mount my front vanity plate when my car gets here.

My "cool cop" story: Pulled over in Nevada doing 140 (instant on radar). Chatted with the cop about if there are still stock car races in Tonopah and he wrote me up for 80 in a 70.

Used to take the traffic school option when I did get a ticket in Cali. (none lately). Online school in a bathrobe on a Sunday took me 3-1/2 hours rather than the 8 hours in-person. Wife then was not computer literate so she had to attend in-person and was pissed off until I suggested she go to a comedy traffic school (literally two nights for fours each mid-week in a comedy club). After I saw the movie Falling Down with the billboard scene I told my self I would go to topless traffic school but never did. Is that still available?
Great stories!

And yes, in CA I’ve never been written up for no front plate when pulled over/interfacing with a cop. However, every time I’ve gotten a parking ticket, whether in Westwood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, or West Hollywood (I’ve only gotten like 5 parking tickets… but always in different places!) they’ve always tacked on the extra $25 for no front plate. However, no requirement to “fix it” and show them, just need to pay the fine.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 06:31 PM   #26
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
I know that one for sure. I did my undergrad in Baltimore and would go to VA for car meets every once in a while. Always drove the speed limit. VA is notorious for speeding tickets
Good old Va.VA., been here all of my life and mess with who they want to. Funny story and nit to start a debate about race. I owned a black 7 series with tires windows and a state trooper was sitting in the median. When I came by, he perked up and pulled me over. Once he couldn't find anything, he gave me a ticket for tint, no meter to see if it was illegal. My best friend who is white laughed his ass off. He said black car, black tint and black man, three strikes, you're out. I couldn't stop laughing either...
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 3
SaMaster144445.00
Mark Kez2201.50
      06-23-2022, 06:34 PM   #27
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
Good old Va.VA., been here all of my life and mess with who they want to. Funny story and nit to start a debate about race. I owned a black 7 series with tires windows and a state trooper was sitting in the median. When I came by, he perked up and pulled me over. Once he couldn't find anything, he gave me a ticket for tint, no meter to see if it was illegal. My best friend who is white laughed his ass off. He said black car, black tint and black man, three strikes, you're out. I couldn't stop laughing either...
Can’t necessarily “like” that story, but at least it was just a tint ticket and everyone is able to laugh after the fact!
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3559.50
      06-23-2022, 06:36 PM   #28
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Can’t necessarily “like” that story, but at least it was just a tint ticket and everyone is able to laugh after the fact!
No, did not like the ticket but it was funny how he said it. We go at all the time, been friends for over 40 years.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144445.00
      06-23-2022, 06:39 PM   #29
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
No, did not like the ticket but it was funny how he said it. We go at all the time, been friends for over 40 years.
That I can like! Haha
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3559.50
      06-23-2022, 07:32 PM   #30
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

Quote:
Dang, shots fired…
haha

From a USNA/USC graduate that was just a warning shot or you would have been sunk.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 10:43 PM   #31
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
haha

From a USNA/USC graduate that was just a warning shot or you would have been sunk.
The ND/USNA relationship is extremely cordial, and a long history. A bit more contentious with USC.

SC was my first choice for law school, but they honestly gave me the run around. I was dead set on going, had lunch with a Dean, and they flirted around the idea that I turned them down after getting in for undergrad and now I wanted "back in" for law school (parents are east coasters and I wanted to get out of LA, so I went back east to Baltimore and studied at Hopkins undergrad... two COMPLETELY different schools). Left the lunch as "part of the trojan family" according to the Dean, but got wait listed the next day. ND called and gave me a ⅓ off tuition and it was a no brainer (even being a "jewish kid from LA" at a very catholic school).
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 10:49 PM   #32
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

Quote:
The ND/USNA relationship is extremely cordial, and a long history. A bit more contentious with USC.

SC was my first choice for law school, but they honestly gave me the run around. I was dead set on going, had lunch with a Dean, and they flirted around the idea that I turned them down after getting in for undergrad and now I wanted "back in" for law school (parents are east coasters and I wanted to get out of LA, so I went back east to Baltimore and studied at Hopkins undergrad... two COMPLETELY different schools). Left the lunch as "part of the trojan family" according to the Dean, but got wait listed the next day. ND called and gave me a ⅓ off tuition and it was a no brainer (even being a "jewish kid from LA" at a very catholic school).
All good.

I went to Gould because the Marine Corps was paying for whatever school I got in...so the most expensive school was my choice, very scientific. I didn't realize how liberal the school was till later and having a grizzled former Marine in class made for some awesome moments , well, for me.

Going to be an interesting first couple of games for our schools this fall. Good luck....till you face us.
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144445.00
      06-23-2022, 11:00 PM   #33
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
All good.

I went to Gould because the Marine Corps was paying for whatever school I got in...so the most expensive school was my choice, very scientific. I didn't realize how liberal the school was till later and having a grizzled former Marine in class made for some awesome moments , well, for me.

Going to be an interesting first couple of games for our schools this fall. Good luck....till you face us.
I think it'll be a great season for both teams! Although I'm not so sure about facing Ohio State in game 1 at "the shoe" ...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 12:59 PM   #34
BugKiller
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M4Cx cvt

We need to form our own bar association.

I was a member of the Roppongi Bar Association when I interned in Tokyo.
      06-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #35
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugKiller View Post
We need to form our own bar association.

I was a member of the Roppongi Bar Association when I interned in Tokyo.
Loved the Roppongi district! I studied abroad in Tokyo in undergrad, but that was before I even knew I wanted to go to law school.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 05:12 PM   #36
xXMPowerXx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ford, Lexi, Lambo's

I’ll play.

A few of us were driving with our new cars and no had plates on their cars.

As I was the only one in a Lamborghini, so I get pulled over. The cop was a young guy who wanted to see the car. He said if I wasn’t going to be nice to him he’d give me a no front license plate ticket.!

It turned out he had an M5 and was a huge car guy. I asked him if I could get out of the car and take pics.

He responds: “Yeah, but let me turn on the lights”
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
SaMaster144445.00
MMM.PWR3453.50
      06-25-2022, 08:46 AM   #37
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Actually a follow-up to my original post. This isn't the first time this sort of thing happened to me. About two months ago I was heading to a local cars and coffee event. I had detailed the M3 the night before. It's like 6:30 AM and I'm going 40 in a 25. Local cop pulls me over. I tell her I was ironically going to a car show with my daughter. She runs my license and comes back with a warning ticket. She says "This is a really nice car and if looks hot today. Just slow it down around the park, ok?" My daughter looks at me and is like what just happened?
2016 M235i xdrive, Alpine White, Terra Leather, Orbit Gray Wheels (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 08:53 AM   #38
LuxemburgBMV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xdrive msport

Garage List
State Trooper in Minnesota pulled me over in my Honda Accord specifically for no front plate and gave me a ticket. So the M3 has the tow hook plate and it looks ugly.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 08:58 AM   #39
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 G83 M4C xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by element56 View Post
Tow hook plate mount kit with plate stays in the trunk. in 25 years of no front plate i've only have had one issue. a meter maid in san francisco decided they were super bored as I still had plenty of time on the meter. fix it ticket resolved in less than 20 min after issued and as soon as it was signed off I took the plate off in the precinct parking lot and put it back in the trunk.

never drill holes. tow hook plate mount is the only solution.
Yeah, same thing here in Jersey. I've never put front plates on any of my cars, just the 2nd plate (still in the plastic with a tow hook plate mount print out under the rear passenger floor mat. No issues yet...

true story though on getting pulled over for something and getting dinged for something else. Years ago, was pulled over not for speeding but for "accelerating a little fast from a green light" and only got dinged because the BMW plate frame was covering "New Jersey" and "Garden State". really!? 😆

Gone but not forgotten:'22 G82 M4Comp xDrive, '21 F90 M5 Comp,'19 Porsche 911 C4S, 15 Audi RS5, etc..
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2022, 01:33 PM   #40
Tanzanian Devil
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW G80 M3 (mt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman4517 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by element56 View Post
Tow hook plate mount kit with plate stays in the trunk. in 25 years of no front plate i've only have had one issue. a meter maid in san francisco decided they were super bored as I still had plenty of time on the meter. fix it ticket resolved in less than 20 min after issued and as soon as it was signed off I took the plate off in the precinct parking lot and put it back in the trunk.

never drill holes. tow hook plate mount is the only solution.
Yeah, same thing here in Jersey. I've never put front plates on any of my cars, just the 2nd plate (still in the plastic with a tow hook plate mount print out under the rear passenger floor mat. No issues yet...

true story though on getting pulled over for something and getting dinged for something else. Years ago, was pulled over not for speeding but for "accelerating a little fast from a green light" and only got dinged because the BMW plate frame was covering "New Jersey" and "Garden State". really!? 😆
I had something similar happen a few years ago on my way home from work after a long day. Had my Scat Pack Challenger at the time. Just got off the highway and about a mile from home. First in line at the light and really tired of the slow traffic on 101 so I accelerated nicely—no squealing tires but letting those around me enjoy the Hemi. I am normally hyper aware of cars around me but was so tired I didn't see the cop RIGHT behind me. He immediately flips his lights and pulls me over. Speed limit was 35, no way I hit even 40 before he flashes me. Comes up to my car, and says 'you took off a little fast there and the neighbors here don't like loud cars so slow it down, okay buddy?' Then he looks at my badging; I had rebadged it to better honor the 70s R/T Challengers making it not immediately identifiable as a Scat Pack. I told him and then he replied with some snark, 'Nice car. I have a Hellcat' and walked off. Thinking the whole thing was an excuse for him to just check his ride against mine. Must have sounded pretty good from his spot behind me!
Appreciate 1
eman45171726.00
      06-25-2022, 08:21 PM   #41
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

I got pulled over at 3am on a back road. The cop past me going the opposite direction and then 1-2min later shows up behind me and pulls me over under the excuse of no front plate. I think just a chance to see if I was drunk at 3am. He ran my stuff and then basically gave me an index card saying to help keep our streets safe by fixing whatever we pulled you over for.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 09:50 PM   #42
MMM.PWR
Sith Lord
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80X, Mazda 3 6MT (daily)

Garage List
All these stories about not having issues with front plates and having issues with front plates has me conflicted on what to do with mine. I know it'll look cleaner without it but at the same time I don't want to give anybody a reason to pull over a green flashy car.
      06-25-2022, 09:51 PM   #43
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM.PWR View Post
All these stories about not having issues with front plates and having issues with front plates has me conflicted on what to do with mine. I know it'll look cleaner without it but at the same time I don't want to give anybody a reason to pull over a green flashy car.
Just get the sho and sto. I pop mine on and off in seconds.
2016 M235i xdrive, Alpine White, Terra Leather, Orbit Gray Wheels (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 10:19 PM   #44
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Thankfully Ohio finally got rid of the law.

Here's a different take. After my first BMW ED I was getting my custom US plates to match my euro plates. They took about a month to come in the mail so I drove around with my euro plates on the car front and put the paper from the BMV in the back window as I was supposed to. I kinda, but not really want to see how the conversation was going to go if I got pulled over.

You can't have euro plates on your car

Well, I have the paper in my window while I'm waiting for my US plates to come and hey, the numbers are exactly the same. :-)

I drove around for almost a month with those plates without being noticed. Maybe someone thought I was a diplomat or something...
Appreciate 0