Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics BMW makes Apple car play free - android auto compatibility

12-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
Pacman123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3 , BMW M340i Xdrive

BMW makes Apple car play free - android auto compatibility

Just read this article that apparently bmw is making apple car play free and will support Android auto which is what I would use.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/12...n-requirement/

Has anyone else read more into when they will support Android?

Last edited by Pacman123; 12-04-2019 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #2
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman123 View Post
Just read this article that apparently bmw is making apple car play free and will support Android auto which is what I would use.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/12...n-requirement/

Has anyone else read more into when they will support Android?
Article has been updated...

"Update: BMW contacted us after publication to say that it is unable to confirm Android Auto support at this point. Original references to BMW supporting Android Auto have been removed."
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
Pacman123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3 , BMW M340i Xdrive

Ooof thats unfortunate...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
BMW wants wireless Android Auto

Google wants too much data from the car

That is where we find ourselves

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #5
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post

Sounds like an excuse, how comes its not an issue for all the other manufacturers that support Android Auto?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
Sounds like an excuse, how comes its not an issue for all the other manufacturers that support Android Auto?
It follows suit that BMW would insist on a wireless-only implementation of Android Auto, since that's the route they unfortunately went with Carplay (which IMO is why we are still plagued with Carplay reliability issues to this day). If that's truly what they're waiting for, the issue is likely that only a handful of phones even support wireless AA yet according to this Google support page: https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/6348019

If you boil the numbers down to how many customers have a phone on that specific list, then wireless AA apparently hasn't been worth the investment for any manufacturers yet. As of Fall 2019, no OEM offers it... https://www.cars.com/articles/wirele...ey-now-407297/

Last edited by 2020g20; 12-07-2019 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:46 AM   #7
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
Because Google is trying to make their own cars and with AA they read vehicle performance data they can then use to engineer their cars. BMW makes some of the best handling cars and Google is competition, they're not just going to hand over their data from probably millions of cars. All other cars sure, but higher end cars with high levels of engineering behind them, no.

Also update, AA is coming to ID 7 systems and above mid 2020.
I guess they figured something out.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #8
raptorapture
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
updated article, https://techcrunch.com/2019/12/11/bm...-android-auto/

as A6bullet said, Mid 2020, only iDrive7.. but the deepness of integration looks super interesting going beyond the infotainment screen and also being integrated into the digital dash and heads up display (if you have one).
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #9
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post

My wife's Volvo android auto uses phone cord to connect. I believe for the data
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #10
ssadri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 540xi M-Performance

UPDATE:
Just got off the phone with BMW Connected Drive Customer Service and they let me know for the cars that their Apple CarPlay has already "expired" you would have to wait for an email from BMW which will have a reference number that you would have to call back in and at that point BMW will be able to reactivate your Apple CarPlay on your car. If you try to go on https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/ap...x.html#/portal right now, it will still be priced at $300 to have the Apple CarPlay feature activated.
2009 BMW X6 50i Dinan (Sold) Alpine White
2003 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Laguna Seca Blue | 1995 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Santorini Blue II
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 04:04 AM   #11
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Here is the email about CarPlay:

This is to advise you of an important change to your Apple CarPlay Compatibility option as part of BMW ConnectedDrive.

BMW is extending the Apple CarPlay Compatibility option for your vehicle to remain active in your vehicle for as long as the feature is technically supported. You will no longer be required to purchase a subscription to keep CarPlay active.

This extension will be at no additional cost to you, and there is no action required on your part to receive the extension.

To use Apple CarPlay in your vehicle with your iPhone, be sure to choose “Apple CarPlay” as the connection mode for your mobile device in the Communication settings.

Note:
As part of this change, we also recommend performing an update of the ConnectedDrive services in your vehicle. This can be done by following the steps below:

Depending on your vehicle’s Model Year and Make, navigate to “BMW Assist”, “ConnectedDrive” or “Apps” using your iDrive controller.

Under BMW Assist or ConnectedDrive:
• Open “Options” (physical button surrounding your iDrive controller).
• Click on “Update BMW Assist”.
Under Apps:
• Click on “All Apps”.
• Open “Options” (physical button surrounding your iDrive controller)
• Click on “Update apps and services”
Once the update completes, we then recommend shutting the vehicle off and allowing a few minutes before restarting the vehicle to check the connection.

Should you have any questions, please contact customercare@bmwassist.com or call BMW Assist Customer Care at 1-888-333-6118. You can check the current status of Apple CarPlay and ConnectedDrive services for your vehicle by visiting www.bmwusa.com/MyBMW/ConnectedDrive.

Kind Regards,
BMW ConnectedDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #12
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Here is the email about CarPlay:

This is to advise you of an important change to your Apple CarPlay Compatibility option as part of BMW ConnectedDrive.

BMW is extending the Apple CarPlay Compatibility option for your vehicle to remain active in your vehicle for as long as the feature is technically supported. You will no longer be required to purchase a subscription to keep CarPlay active.

This extension will be at no additional cost to you, and there is no action required on your part to receive the extension.

To use Apple CarPlay in your vehicle with your iPhone, be sure to choose “Apple CarPlay” as the connection mode for your mobile device in the Communication settings.

Note:
As part of this change, we also recommend performing an update of the ConnectedDrive services in your vehicle. This can be done by following the steps below:

Depending on your vehicle’s Model Year and Make, navigate to “BMW Assist”, “ConnectedDrive” or “Apps” using your iDrive controller.

Under BMW Assist or ConnectedDrive:
• Open “Options” (physical button surrounding your iDrive controller).
• Click on “Update BMW Assist”.
Under Apps:
• Click on “All Apps”.
• Open “Options” (physical button surrounding your iDrive controller)
• Click on “Update apps and services”
Once the update completes, we then recommend shutting the vehicle off and allowing a few minutes before restarting the vehicle to check the connection.

Should you have any questions, please contact customercare@bmwassist.com or call BMW Assist Customer Care at 1-888-333-6118. You can check the current status of Apple CarPlay and ConnectedDrive services for your vehicle by visiting www.bmwusa.com/MyBMW/ConnectedDrive.

Kind Regards,
BMW ConnectedDrive
Also got the same.
Appreciate 0