Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Mission Performance Presents World's First Tuning Solution For G20 M340i.

Closed Thread

08-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #23
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Looks like Mission Tuning website was updated now and you can purchase the tune for the M340i now. Unfortunately - it sounds like for all cars with the latest DME update (from July 2019), you will need to send them your DME so they can flash it. So that means being without your car for at least some amount of time I guess? Unless you live physically close to their location.

I remember back in the day when Hondata did this on RSX Type S's they offered an ECU swap - you put down a deposit for a flashed ECU that they mail you, and then you mail them back your stock ECU and they refund the deposit. So you have virtually no downtime. Not sure if BMW's DME is tied to something else in the car that would make this impossible - but it'd be nice if they had something like that - or a way to buy an additional DME unit.

https://missiontuning.com/bmw-engine...lash-tune.html

For cars with the July 2019 update, I also assume you can't go back to stock yourself, so then this is probably detectable by the dealer and for a leased car if you want to go back to stock, you'd have to mail the DME to them again? Unless of course they figure out a way to flash it locally in the next 3 years. Not really ideal for most of us leasing though.
Appreciate 2
otay826.00
      08-06-2019, 08:52 PM   #24
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
Looks like Mission Tuning website was updated now and you can purchase the tune for the M340i now. Unfortunately - it sounds like for all new cars produced recently, you will need to send them your DME so they can unlock it before you can flash it. So that means being without your car for at least some amount of time I guess? I remember back in the day when Hondata did this on RSX Type S's they offered an ECU swap - you put down a deposit for a flash ECU that they mail you, and then you mail them back your stock ECU and they refund the deposit. So you have virtually no downtime. Not sure if BMW's DME is tied to something else in the car that would make this impossible - but it'd be nice if they had something like that - or a way to buy an additional DME unit.

https://missiontuning.com/bmw-engine...lash-tune.html

I also wonder if they are doing something to unlock your DME if this is detectable by the dealer - and could you go back to stock, for those of us leasing it would be important.
With in-house flashing, we are able to clone your DME so you can have a backup DME with just stock flash if you like, though its not necessary since we can always restore your DME to fully virgin state if you do opt in for in house flash.

The new, post July, versions are still flash-able over OBD2 port but this time around, we are waiting a while before we release the solution to general public. A year ago we were the first to flash B58 over obd2 port, but as soon as we have released the solution to general public, other companies "manically" releases the same solution just under their own name. So for now, we are keeping the unlock part to be only in house. You will still get mFlasher tool to load revision of a tune, go back to stock or even lock the DME, but the unlock function will be disabled.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 09:15 PM   #25
itsglen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionPerformance View Post
A year ago we were the first to flash B58 over obd2 port, but as soon as we have released the solution to general public, other companies "manically" releases the same solution just under their own name.
I remember that topic from last year in the 340/B58 forum. After 2+ years of no flash options for the B58, you launched your tune and within a month or so a number of other tuners all of a sudden had a solution to crack the DME and flash....coincidental?
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2019, 10:31 PM   #26
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
With in-house flashing, we are able to clone your DME so you can have a backup DME with just stock flash if you like, though its not necessary since we can always restore your DME to fully virgin state if you do opt in for in house flash.

The new, post July, versions are still flash-able over OBD2 port but this time around, we are waiting a while before we release the solution to general public. A year ago we were the first to flash B58 over obd2 port, but as soon as we have released the solution to general public, other companies "manically" releases the same solution just under their own name. So for now, we are keeping the unlock part to be only in house. You will still get mFlasher tool to load revision of a tune, go back to stock or even lock the DME, but the unlock function will be disabled.
That is unfortunate - I would be buying this to put on my car right away if I could do everything myself. I'd like to be able to flash the car back to stock and lock the DME before taking it to the dealer for any reason (and I usually take it in at least once a year for service). However, this method makes it impossible to do that.

Once I get my M340i it will also be my daily driver, so I couldn't live without the car while my DME ships back and forth.

I guess I'll have to wait for you to release the OBD2 version or one of your competitors to do it.
Appreciate 1
Jklad421.00
      08-15-2019, 05:30 PM   #27
ParrotBro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-Series since 2004

Would this allow a non xdrive M340i to be faster than a xdrive M340i in terms of 0-60?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #28
ssadri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 540xi M-Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBro View Post
Would this allow a non xdrive M340i to be faster than a xdrive M340i in terms of 0-60?
It would be nice if Alex / Mission Performance did a 0-60 test both in stock and Stage 1 / Stage 2 (with RWD if possible)
2009 BMW X6 50i Dinan (Sold) Alpine White
2003 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Laguna Seca Blue | 1995 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Santorini Blue II
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 10:18 PM   #29
PURE340i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i & 2011 335d

Good work Alex
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #30
serg1282
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: through

The operative question here is whether Mission will allow us to flash it without sending in the DME before their competitors release their own. By that point there will be more competition on price, so for now we wait.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #31
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by serg1282 View Post
The operative question here is whether Mission will allow us to flash it without sending in the DME before their competitors release their own. By that point there will be more competition on price, so for now we wait.
Yup, I'm in the same boat. Or if Dinan ends up releasing their own tune with factory matching warranty, even if it is more expensive - I'll probably just get that.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #32
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup, I'm in the same boat. Or if Dinan ends up releasing their own tune with factory matching warranty, even if it is more expensive - I'll probably just get that.
Keep in mind Dinan has yet to release a flash even for the original B58 equipped cars and SUVs (340 etc)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #33
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:
Keep in mind Dinan has yet to release a flash even for the original B58 equipped cars and SUVs (340 etc)
Yeah I forgot it is only a piggyback Dinan have right now for the B58 and not a full tune, well either way I'll be waiting for now!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:01 PM   #34
nola2atx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
It has been very busy at our development headquarters, but we are finally able to present you with the world's first solution to tune ANY M340i!

Considering purchase. Couple of questions:

- How do I know if my build allows OBDII programming? How do I check my version?

- If I take have to take my car in and as such have to set back to stock, what happens if they update my software? Will I then not be able to retune via OBDII?

- What are the add-on features? Please explain "burble mode" and "cold start delete" features.

- What effect does the tune have on the different driving modes? Or rather, what effect do the driving modes have on the tune?

- What is the difference between Stage 1 and 2? I can see the power difference, but interested in more detail about:
A) How you're getting there from Stage 1
B) Whether it causes a lot more wear on the engine, is still perfectly safe long term, and if it will pass inspection
c) Do I need any additional modifications?

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 5
      08-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #35
Crazyotter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C

I have the same questions as the above poster
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #36
Crazyotter
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Let me make sure I have this correct;
I currently have a 400whp car in stock form from the factory.
When I take it into get serviced they’re going to steal about 60whp from me with a software update.
Then I’m going to have to pay someone to aftermarket tune my car to get back what I lost and a lil extra?
How is BMW going to maintain its stock
4.1 0-60 and 12.6 1/4 mile claims with this robbery?
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2019, 12:03 PM   #37
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nola2atx View Post
Considering purchase. Couple of questions:

- How do I know if my build allows OBDII programming? How do I check my version?

- If I take have to take my car in and as such have to set back to stock, what happens if they update my software? Will I then not be able to retune via OBDII?

- What are the add-on features? Please explain "burble mode" and "cold start delete" features.

- What effect does the tune have on the different driving modes? Or rather, what effect do the driving modes have on the tune?

- What is the difference between Stage 1 and 2? I can see the power difference, but interested in more detail about:
A) How you're getting there from Stage 1
B) Whether it causes a lot more wear on the engine, is still perfectly safe long term, and if it will pass inspection
c) Do I need any additional modifications?
You no longer have to worry about the version as we have ended up releasing full OBD support.

If you take your car to a dealer and they update the DME, you can use our tool to flash it back to tune once again.

The add-on features are exactly what they sound like. Burble option adds exhaust burble. Cold start delete option deletes cold start noise/rpm increase.

On OEM flash, mode selector effects your throttle and not power delivery. That logic is left in place as well for a tuned vehicle.

Stage 2 offers much tighter timing control, Vanos/Cam Overlap and so on. Any power addition (stage 1 or 2) will put more stress on the motor (specifically the turbo) since you are pumping more air to make additional power, but our flash is always meticulously tested on our own cars Before its available to public

We recommend spark plug gap change to 0.024" on either stage 1 or 2.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 09:05 PM   #38
ParrotBro
Enlisted Member
Rep

How does this tune compare to the burger tune?

Also will it make the m340i alot faster 0-60?

How much horsepower is added?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 09:06 PM   #39
Crazyotter
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Is there any reason why someone would pick stage 1 over stage 2?
Appreciate 1
0xdq36.00
      08-21-2019, 09:36 PM   #40
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBro View Post
How does this tune compare to the burger tune?

Also will it make the m340i alot faster 0-60?

How much horsepower is added?
Burger does not have a tune

With nearly 100hp over stock yes your 0-60 will be improved :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 10:40 PM   #41
ParrotBro
Enlisted Member
Rep

Is it possible to have both burger and this one? I am not sure what the difference is as I am new
Appreciate 1
RWSM348.50
      08-27-2019, 02:04 PM   #42
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Crazy that BMW would de-tune instead of just grandfathering those cars in.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #43
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyotter View Post
Let me make sure I have this correct;
I currently have a 400whp car in stock form from the factory.
When I take it into get serviced they’re going to steal about 60whp from me with a software update.
Then I’m going to have to pay someone to aftermarket tune my car to get back what I lost and a lil extra?
How is BMW going to maintain its stock
4.1 0-60 and 12.6 1/4 mile claims with this robbery?
Probably still does that number with "just" 382hp...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #44
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i M sport

very very interesting - not to thread highjack, but i wonder what this is happening with the n63tu3 as well...
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread