Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i vs G70 3.3T Sport Comparo. Hits 3.8s 0-60 in Instrumented Test

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #23
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
299
Rep
566
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2C 02 E46M3 2019 X3 M40
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Del Mar CA

iTrader: (0)

340 curb weight 3813. Geez!
Appreciate 1
10"2256.50

      10-23-2019, 06:07 PM   #24
buckybadger
BMW forever!
buckybadger's Avatar
370
Rep
1,172
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

This is exceptional!
__________________
2020 BMW X5 xDrive40i
2019 BMW M2 Competition
2014 BMW 335i
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 06:12 PM   #25
JRobUSC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
662
Rep
297
Posts

Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
This is what it's come to, going up against Kia
If the comparison test was M340 vs S4 vs C43, the M340 wouldíve won, and thatís all that really matters. Itís not like BMW chose this comparison, C&D did. They just have a hard on for the Genesis.
Appreciate 4
F30ZHP789.00
DML312.50
M-Pilot4404.50

      10-23-2019, 06:15 PM   #26
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
1037
Rep
3,360
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Its probably thanks to former M-division head Albert Biernman heading R&D over at Hyundai/Kia/Genesis. I believe he's responsible for the G70, Stinger, and Volester N

Honestly I think Merc has already beaten BMW in certain models, mainly the C,E,S in their higher trims (full AMG and AMG-light), but BMW is ahead in SUVs in my opinion.
I think BMW has Merc beaten with the compact and mid-size category. S-class definitely trounces on the 7er.

Merc interiors are very clearly a notch below BMW, besides the S-class.
I'm glad someone else thinks this. Don't get me wrong, Mercedes makes great cars but too many people are too easily influenced by just the appearance of Mercedes but when you actually sit in them, the feel doesn't necessarily match what you see - this is clear in the C and E Class.

I was one of many who got to see the C Class at an auto show before the launch on a spinning platform (can't touch or sit in) and was totally fascinated and thought Mercedes just set itself atop of the segment...until I sat in one and my expectations completely dropped. The C Class and E Class are more eye candy than they are smaller versions of the S Class as many people like to say.
Appreciate 4
      10-23-2019, 06:31 PM   #27
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
468
Rep
457
Posts

Drives: m3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Man, cars are getting so fast. When I had my Z4MC I thought it was super fast. Now, barely 10 years later, it would get walked by a damn Hyundai G70 lol.
Appreciate 1
WWM3308.00

      10-23-2019, 06:32 PM   #28
OhMyXM
Private
OhMyXM's Avatar
United_States
119
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: X3MC
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

The X3M Comp does that!... on the way home from a Home Depot run. Snooze, wow, thanks Car & Driver, way to keep up!!! I can see why I keep getting emails trying to get me to subscribe. Old, useless, news is hard to sell.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 06:57 PM   #29
DocB
Lieutenant
DocB's Avatar
United_States
259
Rep
576
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Strong showing by the Bimmer. My impressions of the car are very similar. But personally it's steering is a deal breaker for me.
What? Steering in the M340 is loads better that recent models. Unless of coarse you need formula-1 steering in the way to work.
__________________
2003 328i
2006 330i
2014 328i
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 4
      10-23-2019, 07:05 PM   #30
OhMyXM
Private
OhMyXM's Avatar
United_States
119
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: X3MC
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

My question is this: at what point vs. price are we going to stop? Keep in mind, it wasn't that long ago the 3 second barrier was reserved for the "super car" class. Now we have SUV's, or AV's, whatever, doing it with the family along for the ride & groceries in the back. Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my shifts from 1-2-3! They pop, snap are as intoxicating as anything. However, 90% of the time I have to break before I hit 3rd gear. I love my car! But this thing has actually spoiled the "more" for me. It would just cost a LOT of money, be marginally faster, and there would be my wife in the "hand-me-down" X3M Comp sitting close in my rear view mirror sipping a Frapacinno with two kids in the back watching Peppa Pig.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2019, 07:15 PM   #31
RedGT3RS
Private
44
Rep
94
Posts

Drives: BMW, Porsche
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Everywhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
I agree. I did not even consider the Hyundai. Call me a badge snob, but I am not driving a Kia or a Genesis, no matter how good they are.

You might as well do a proper comparison with an S4, C43, XE, etc...which is what most around here would be cross shopping.

All the strong points are...strong. The car is excellent. Personally, the Genesis competes with the Passat, Accord, Camry and is a notch above those...fine. That is where those buyers want something a little more, but not the premium group of cars.

And that is a lot of money for Hyundai. Period.
Brand snob? In your avatar is that your corvette? If so, why would you be driving a Chevy when you can buy yourself a Porsche or Ferrari
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #32
bsas340i
Private
bsas340i's Avatar
United_States
88
Rep
75
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 340i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Jacksonville, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [5.00]
2018 BMW 530i  [5.00]
2004 BMW K1200RS  [5.00]
Honestly, I think the M340i is extremely competitive and it's being overlooked because the majority of buyers aren't enthusiasts. Unlike many of you guys, I was quite happy with the steering composure. It's much more direct than my car (F30 340i), the suspension feels tighter (in a good way) and you can really feel the added rigidity in the way the car behaves. Comparing this car with the Hyundai isn't fair... The only thing the Hyundai has going is the price. The BMW has more power, more grip, it's faster yet more fuel efficient, has better brakes, more interior volume, bigger trunk AND it weighs less. The Hyundai is competent but I rather spend $51k elsewhere.
It's almost 2020, a loaded Mustang GT is $50k. A beautiful German sedan with rear wheel drive that does a 3.8 sec dash to 60 and a low to mid 12s quarter mile for $60k, doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
__________________

2018 530i: JB/Blk Leather/7AC/19'' Wheels (635)/DA/PP/Fineline Ridge Wood
2017 340i: BSM/Blk Leather/CW/DA/DB+/LP/TP/M Sport/19'' (403M)/Ash Grain Wood/CarPlay/Black Kidneys/SS Pedals/Activ-8/Dinan Mid-Pipe/Dinan CF CAI/Michelin PS4S
2002 M5: LeMans/LeMans Extended Leather/Enhanced Premium Sound/Dinan Exhaust
Appreciate 3
      10-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #33
AlphaM
THE UNTOUCHABLE
Canada
74
Rep
147
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10M5, 2016 F15 X5 MSport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

The truth is even if the G70 was as fast/good as the bimmer, people would still choose the bimmer simply because it's a bimmer (brand prestige).
Luxury today unfortunately is dictated by how expensive and unattainable things are.
In some cases you get what you pay for but most of the time you pay just for the brand name, not because your product is great.
If you know about cars then you know that Genesis makes really really good cars, i know because i used to own the first generation of genesis cars (hyundai genesis) and it was one of the best cars i owned and currently own a G90 (another fantastic car).
Genesis is trying to build a name for themselves and just the fact that they are comparing the G70 with a 3 series or the G90 against the S class it just shows you how good the Genesis brand is.
Mark my words the day will come when the Genesis cars will be at the same level as bimmers and mercs or even better and that day is closing in very quickly.
For me, There's zero point in spending more than double the money to get a 7 series or S class, my G90 is a fantastic car just as is the G70 but you will have to overcome the fact that it does not have the brand prestige that bimmers or mercs have.....just yet. But just wait.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2019, 08:14 PM   #34
10"
Major
10"'s Avatar
2257
Rep
1,428
Posts

Drives: orange BMW 1M.
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
Man, cars are getting so fast. When I had my Z4MC I thought it was super fast. Now, barely 10 years later, it would get walked by a damn Hyundai G70 lol.
Yeah but your Z4MC is a bazillion wuadrizillion times more entertaining to drive than these automated beaters being released now. Statistics are meaningless when it comes to cars; unfortunately modern car culture has deteriorated to a point where people think they are actually important.
__________________
don't read this. too late...
Appreciate 5
RowanBuds1188.50
Red Bread3398.00
530iDriver1179.50

      10-23-2019, 08:17 PM   #35
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
1486
Rep
2,113
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
I think their conclusion rather misses the point. The review makes it clear that M340 is the better car in most aspects that people care about, including practicality. With that as a baseline, I think the price difference is not as relevant as they make it out to be. I think for most people, if you can afford the better car, you buy the better car. You don't sit down and think "is that car worth $12k more than the other one"! After all, there is no way you could say a Ferrari is $150k better than an M3, but if someone can afford the Ferrari, 9 times out of 10 they will buy it.
lol, we're not talking about Ferraris here. In this price range, people are still thinking about value. Shoot, even while shopping for $150k cars, I know people that hem and haw over $1000 options.

The price difference between the cars is about 20%. That's significant in the entry luxury market. Also, as the review states, the G70 has things that it does better as well. The review says the main reason the BMW won was because it drove a bit better. Let's be honest, most people even on these forums ask questions like "should I get the M340i or the X3 M40i?", most people even on the forums don't care about driving dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 08:25 PM   #36
EXE46
First Lieutenant
EXE46's Avatar
United_States
335
Rep
333
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i RWD
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: State of Dystopia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaM View Post
The truth is even if the G70 was as fast/good as the bimmer, people would still choose the bimmer simply because it's a bimmer (brand prestige).
Luxury today unfortunately is dictated by how expensive and unattainable things are.
In some cases you get what you pay for but most of the time you pay just for the brand name, not because your product is great.
If you know about cars then you know that Genesis makes really really good cars, i know because i used to own the first generation of genesis cars (hyundai genesis) and it was one of the best cars i owned and currently own a G90 (another fantastic car).
Genesis is trying to build a name for themselves and just the fact that they are comparing the G70 with a 3 series or the G90 against the S class it just shows you how good the Genesis brand is.
Mark my words the day will come when the Genesis cars will be at the same level as bimmers and mercs or even better and that day is closing in very quickly.
For me, There's zero point in spending more than double the money to get a 7 series or S class, my G90 is a fantastic car just as is the G70 but you will have to overcome the fact that it does not have the brand prestige that bimmers or mercs have.....just yet. But just wait.


Your argument doesn't hold, again, not everybody buys on price and despite what you proclaim, there are many goods where price is synonymous with quality. You don't always get a comparable product when your main criteria is to go with the cheaper alternative. More often than not the cheaper product is inferior. You may think the BMW is expensive but when compared to a typical Porsche it is cheap. Conversely your G80 is expensive compared to an Avalon etc.

Genesis is late to market and while the G70 is competitive the brand itself still have far to go before it can stand with the big four. Furthermore, the market today is extremely competitive, much more so than it was in the 90's when Lexus debuted the LS400. Genesis is no Lexus and even Lexus doesn't sell as many cars as they used to. Lexus already captures the buyers that would most likely buy the Genesis. At the end of the day, you buy what makes you happy I guess or what you can afford. I would love a 991.2 GT3 RS but I can only afford a cheap M340i today, one day I will have my GT3 though.

PS. New M340i's can be had for less than 60k, mine was a hair over 60k. No need for professional driver assistance and a bunch of other options people choose, complete waste for a drivers car, but then again who am I to tell another person how to spend their hard earned money.
__________________
Prior's: E36, E46 x2

Last edited by EXE46; 10-23-2019 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1179.50

      10-23-2019, 08:35 PM   #37
M340Mike
Private
M340Mike's Avatar
Canada
50
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340, 2018 X3 Ultimate
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

My 2 cents: I think the C43 looks better in some ways (especially quad pipes) and sounds a bit more aggressive. I preferred the M340 in pretty much every other respect. Never considered the G70. I've wanted an M3 forever it seems but it's not practical for Canadian winters. I've had my M340 for a week and LOVE this car like no other car I have ever owned. Almost an M3 (of previous generations) that I can drive in any weather. I know many will slam that notion but that's how it feels to me.
[IMG]IMG_8561 by Mike v, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_8607 by Mike v, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_8454 by Mike v, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_8450 by Mike v, on Flickr[/IMG]
Appreciate 2
EXE46334.50
clee1982610.50

      10-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #38
mcjohnsonsg
Private First Class
141
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: M340 xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
I think their conclusion rather misses the point. The review makes it clear that M340 is the better car in most aspects that people care about, including practicality. With that as a baseline, I think the price difference is not as relevant as they make it out to be. I think for most people, if you can afford the better car, you buy the better car. You don't sit down and think "is that car worth $12k more than the other one"! After all, there is no way you could say a Ferrari is $150k better than an M3, but if someone can afford the Ferrari, 9 times out of 10 they will buy it.
lol, we're not talking about Ferraris here. In this price range, people are still thinking about value. Shoot, even while shopping for $150k cars, I know people that hem and haw over $1000 options.

The price difference between the cars is about 20%. That's significant in the entry luxury market. Also, as the review states, the G70 has things that it does better as well. The review says the main reason the BMW won was because it drove a bit better. Let's be honest, most people even on these forums ask questions like "should I get the M340i or the X3 M40i?", most people even on the forums don't care about driving dynamics.
I can see where you are coming from, but the BMW beat the G70 in lots of ways... quality of the engine, performance, practicality, interior quality, etc. and in many of these areas the G70 didn't seem to be very close to the M340.

The G70 only really beat the BMW on ride, and that is fairly subjective. What is a stiff ride to some, is not to others. When you really read the details of the review, the M340 won convincingly, and a 20% price difference seems reasonable based on that.

At the end of the day, they are both great cars at their price point. Whichever one you choose, you would probably be happy. I guess my point about "people will buy the better car if they can afford it" is more relevant to enthusiasts than the broader buying public. To me, the price difference is well worth it for the much better engine, the significantly better performance, and practicality.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 08:43 PM   #39
Fuller
Major
1017
Rep
1,152
Posts

Drives: F36 435i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
For those that have been waiting, Car and Driver has gotten their hands on a M340i and compared it to the G70.


Attachment 2165283

Full Article -> https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...0-genesis-g70/

BMW
Highs: Big Power from a silken inline-6, big grip, big back seat, and trunk.
Lows: Big price, stiff ride, steering still a bit too numb for our liking.

Genesis
Highs: Strong performer, impressive ride and handling balance, undeniable value.
Lows: Not as quick in a straight line, tight back seat.

In the end, C/D does acknowledge that the M340i is a better driver's car due to its more refined and faster powertrain, and overall nicer and larger interior, but states that may not be enough to overcome the Genesis great pricing, and that overall, the Genesis isn't far behind the 3-Series, being able to do many things just as well or even better than the 3er.


Instrumented test results:

Attachment 2165451
Basically the m340i really won, but the g70 represents a good value. I mean, we're already well aware that the g70 is cheaper. We don't need to read the article to conclude this. In fact why even bother performing an instrumented test comparison if cost is weighed more heavily than performance.

Again c&d, we all know that a Hyundai is cheaper than a bmw.
Appreciate 4
      10-23-2019, 08:52 PM   #40
m981addicts
First Lieutenant
m981addicts's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
350
Posts

Drives: '98Mz3-'09,135i6s-'13,135isDCT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Motor Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 GTS View Post
340 curb weight 3813. Geez!
Holy Fatso, Robin!
Appreciate 2
Poochie3631.00

      10-23-2019, 08:53 PM   #41
Stage IV
NAMR6MT
United_States
2659
Rep
1,624
Posts

Drives: 2007 Cayman S
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chester County, PA

iTrader: (0)

Stiff ride, whatever. C&D slammed the M2 for having a stiff ride as well. Bunch of pansies reviewing cars over there.
__________________
987.1 CS|6MT|Sport Chrono|Basalt black on black|sport seats|SOUL catback exhaust|Softronic tune|9.2 lb/hp
Appreciate 2
Germanauto3876.50
530iDriver1179.50

      10-23-2019, 09:09 PM   #42
M340Mike
Private
M340Mike's Avatar
Canada
50
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340, 2018 X3 Ultimate
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I've only had it for a week but I have not found the M340 too stiff. It's obviously no 7 series with air suspension but I find it a tad smoother than my X3 in comfort mode. I'm also pleased that Sport mode is not punishing at all. Seems pretty much right on the money for me. I wouldn't have said no to an 'extra'-comfort mode of it was an option for the long cruises or even the daily commute. But I'm pretty happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 09:12 PM   #43
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
468
Rep
457
Posts

Drives: m3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Yeah but your Z4MC is a bazillion wuadrizillion times more entertaining to drive than these automated beaters being released now. Statistics are meaningless when it comes to cars; unfortunately modern car culture has deteriorated to a point where people think they are actually important.
Agreed. Selling it is my biggest car regret. I was considering waiting for the new M3/4, but I'm leaning towards tracking down my Z4MC and begging the owner to sell it to me haha.
Appreciate 4
10"2256.50
OhMyXM118.50
lab_rat235.50

      10-23-2019, 09:21 PM   #44
M340Mike
Private
M340Mike's Avatar
Canada
50
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340, 2018 X3 Ultimate
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Shockingly good fuel economy on the highway: 5.1 this morning

By far the biggest surprise to me in the new M340 is the highway fuel efficiency. My commute is almost all highway and some small town driving for a few blocks. When I am driving conservatively rather than aggressively I am getting numbers I could not have imagined. This morning after a 17 km commute I was at 5.4 litres per 100 kms (44.56 mpg -US, 52.3 mpg Imperial). The best I got in my AWD Acura TLX V6 which was already pretty good with cylinder deactivation (ran on three cylinders while cruising) was 6.9.

I wonder how the G70 and C43 compare in this regard. Of course I'm aware it is much different in city driving. But I think it is quite miraculous. I'm pretty impressed with the engineering that has gone into this version of the B58.
[IMG]IMG_8724 by Mike v, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by M340Mike; 10-23-2019 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST