Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i vs G70 3.3T Sport Comparo. Hits 3.8s 0-60 in Instrumented Test

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-25-2019, 04:11 PM   #133
Transfer
Brigadier General
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
2338
Rep
4,338
Posts

Drives: M340i, E92 M3, B9 SQ5
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Issaquah, WA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
Evolution racewerks posted early build M340 dyno numbers of 391whp/420 lb ft in this thread:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1655627
As I posted in that thread, it's a Dynapak and one car on one day. This means nothing. If the Mission Performance 338 hp car was put on that Dynapak, it might make same numbers. Need two cars on same dyno and really same day for a delta!

Regarding why MP would make their statement, it sounds like they were given information from a source they trust (when maybe they shouldn't) and are passing it on as hearsay because it makes their product more appealing maybe. Note that they have not re-addressed it at all since their first post. Their information is not necessarily reality.

The bottom line here is... M340i is great and Car and Driver sucks.
Appreciate 2
Fuller1016.50

      10-25-2019, 04:28 PM   #134
tehvantes
Private
52
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
As I posted in that thread, it's a Dynapak and one car on one day. This means nothing. If the Mission Performance 338 hp car was put on that Dynapak, it might make same numbers. Need two cars on same dyno and really same day for a delta!

Regarding why MP would make their statement, it sounds like they were given information from a source they trust (when maybe they shouldn't) and are passing it on as hearsay because it makes their product more appealing maybe. Note that they have not re-addressed it at all since their first post. Their information is not necessarily reality.

The bottom line here is... M340i is great and Car and Driver sucks.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #135
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
1487
Rep
2,118
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katar View Post
some of you guys are really getting up in arms about this comparison
Especially considering that C&D flat out said the M340i is the better car.

Some people just won't be happy until C&D claims the G70 isn't even in the same category and they are sorry they even attempted to make the comparison. Otherwise to them, BMW "lost" somehow.

EDIT It probably has something to do with tying their self-worth or identity to their material possessions.

Last edited by upsidedownfunnel; 10-25-2019 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 3
lab_rat235.50
jmack21.00

      10-25-2019, 09:11 PM   #136
NeverEnough007
Private
32
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i & 1991 Mtechnic E30
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
In this article they said the m340i in comfort mode was stiffer than the g70 in sport. They didn't say anything about the 340i or g70 being soft and floaty.
I said 340i, not m340i. Different cars completely.
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2019, 02:01 AM   #137
Fuller
Major
1017
Rep
1,154
Posts

Drives: F36 435i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnough007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
In this article they said the m340i in comfort mode was stiffer than the g70 in sport. They didn't say anything about the 340i or g70 being soft and floaty.
I said 340i, not m340i. Different cars completely.
My mistake. The article never brought up the f30 though, hence my confusion.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 04:44 AM   #138
Fuller
Major
1017
Rep
1,154
Posts

Drives: F36 435i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katar View Post
some of you guys are really getting up in arms about this comparison
Especially considering that C&D flat out said the M340i is the better car.

Some people just won't be happy until C&D claims the G70 isn't even in the same category and they are sorry they even attempted to make the comparison. Otherwise to them, BMW "lost" somehow.

EDIT It probably has something to do with tying their self-worth or identity to their material possessions.
They liked the m340i, but it's pretty clear that they conclude with the g70 being the overall winner. When they construct the 10 best or whatever, they'll probably cite the g70 "winning" this comparison as a reason why it made the list lol.

I'm not denying that the g70 is a good value, and a nice car. I'm just saying that c&d shouldn't be taken too seriously (as it sometimes is by enthusiasts). It's good for entertainment only, and one should take their content with a grain of salt. Many already know this, but some don't. This is for the latter. That's all.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #139
10"
Major
10"'s Avatar
2261
Rep
1,430
Posts

Drives: orange BMW 1M.
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MTFTMFW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Lol @ Submariners example. The most overrated and cliche watch in the world ever. As shite as Invictas are part of me would be rooting for the dude with the Invicta!!! lol

Your post has perfectly captured everything wrong with badge snobbery!

You're saying a Veloster vs. 911 comparison is like this Hyundai vs. 3er? Well you're wrong. The G70 is in a similar class of car and has every right to be compared.
don't really wanna get deep into watches without knowing the audience but the Submariner is the most copied diver in the world and for a good reason. And the fact that you can't get them without waiting in line for several months and sometimes years in certain countries makes them underrated and undervalued, just look at the secondary/used market.....anyway...
Kia will never be a BMW no matter how much money they spend with every automotive publication. Same for Invicta vs Rolex.

Where I disagree with you is that Kia's size, amount of doors and engine displacement don't place it in the same class with BMW.
For many years it was easy to walk into any store and buy a Rolex. This has only changed in the past 5 years. Why? Social media garbage.

I just bought a Jaeger LeCoultre and every shop I went to try and peddled me a Rolex and I laughed....it's as generic as a luxury watch gets IMO. The fact that it's heavily copied is true; but doesn't make it any more appealing to me.

The fact is, BMW in 2019 is not the same as BMW in 1989 or even 1999. They aren't making cars that are invincibly cool; they are making cars to sell a badge. There's nothing inherently "cool" about BMW right now, IMO. As uncool as Kia/Hyundai seems it's not that far off the BMW track as you seem to think...
__________________
don't read this. too late...
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #140
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
1487
Rep
2,118
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MTFTMFW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Lol @ Submariners example. The most overrated and cliche watch in the world ever. As shite as Invictas are part of me would be rooting for the dude with the Invicta!!! lol

Your post has perfectly captured everything wrong with badge snobbery!

You're saying a Veloster vs. 911 comparison is like this Hyundai vs. 3er? Well you're wrong. The G70 is in a similar class of car and has every right to be compared.
don't really wanna get deep into watches without knowing the audience but the Submariner is the most copied diver in the world and for a good reason. And the fact that you can't get them without waiting in line for several months and sometimes years in certain countries makes them underrated and undervalued, just look at the secondary/used market.....anyway...
Kia will never be a BMW no matter how much money they spend with every automotive publication. Same for Invicta vs Rolex.

Where I disagree with you is that Kia's size, amount of doors and engine displacement don't place it in the same class with BMW.
For many years it was easy to walk into any store and buy a Rolex. This has only changed in the past 5 years. Why? Social media garbage.

I just bought a Jaeger LeCoultre and every shop I went to try and peddled me a Rolex and I laughed....it's as generic as a luxury watch gets IMO. The fact that it's heavily copied is true; but doesn't make it any more appealing to me.

The fact is, BMW in 2019 is not the same as BMW in 1989 or even 1999. They aren't making cars that are invincibly cool; they are making cars to sell a badge. There's nothing inherently "cool" about BMW right now, IMO. As uncool as Kia/Hyundai seems it's not that far off the BMW track as you seem to think...
To be fair Rolex has been the most recognizable luxury watch brand for a long time and probably had the most sales for much longer than five years. The prices have just been going up lately.

Their movements are also very good. Not the fanciest or thinnest, but very reliable, durable and accurate. I've always felt it made a good every day watch for affluent people.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2019, 12:58 PM   #141
Patgilm
Private
39
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: GT-R, Durango SRT, M340
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Crofton, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
For many years it was easy to walk into any store and buy a Rolex. This has only changed in the past 5 years. Why? Social media garbage.
Wrong, they were widely available up until two years ago, not because of social media but because Rolex cut production which increased demand. Pretty sad actually, although at least mine has gone up significantly in value.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #142
ls3c6
The Wolf
United_States
167
Rep
832
Posts

Drives: stuff
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ls3c6 Send a message via MSN to ls3c6 Send a message via Yahoo to ls3c6
Fuck kia, a similarly optioned m340i is 5k more with 11+% higher residual and lower tco.
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2019, 06:09 PM   #143
lab_rat
Lieutenant
lab_rat's Avatar
United_States
236
Rep
580
Posts

Drives: E90 330i ZSP/ZPP/ZMT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2012 135i  [0.00]
2006 BMW E90 330i  [0.00]
It appears a few people in this thread use "Kia" as a seemingly derogatory or negative term for the Hyundai G70.

Thinly veiled bias is laughably thin.

Are there improvements to be made to the G70? Sure. But as Hyundai's first RWD sports sedan, it's quite an accomplishment.

Objectively, the G70 is a great addition to the sport sedan competition. At a minimum, Hyundai is pushing BMW to create better products.

The G70 gives driving enthusiasts more choices...and it's offered with a manual. This fact alone is quite an honorable commitment from a modern auto manufacturer.
__________________
An observation of the latest BMW twin kidney grille design:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN
BMW brings on a new meaning to Kidney Failure.
Appreciate 4
      10-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #144
EXE46
First Lieutenant
EXE46's Avatar
United_States
341
Rep
342
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i RWD
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: State of Dystopia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
For many years it was easy to walk into any store and buy a Rolex. This has only changed in the past 5 years. Why? Social media garbage.

I just bought a Jaeger LeCoultre and every shop I went to try and peddled me a Rolex and I laughed....it's as generic as a luxury watch gets IMO. The fact that it's heavily copied is true; but doesn't make it any more appealing to me.

The fact is, BMW in 2019 is not the same as BMW in 1989 or even 1999. They aren't making cars that are invincibly cool; they are making cars to sell a badge. There's nothing inherently "cool" about BMW right now, IMO. As uncool as Kia/Hyundai seems it's not that far off the BMW track as you seem to think...
You're a funny chap, the JL can be viewed as uncool as well, I raise you my imaginary A. Lange & Sohne. Since when is the cool factor a requirement for car purchase lol. Epic nonsense, the 3er was never a cool car, a Bugatti can be considered cool but not a BMW, unless we are talking about an M1. BMW is in the business of selling mass produced cars and turning a profit, that has always been the case.
__________________
Prior's: E36, E46 x2
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 07:54 PM   #145
tehvantes
Private
52
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

So this thread went off the rails....
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2019, 10:40 PM   #146
clee1982
Major
United_States
612
Rep
1,482
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Rolex is a reliable work watch, luxury watch go through phases, not the first time you couldn't get a sub by just walking in the door, but pretty sure there will be a time when you can again...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 10:42 PM   #147
amw896
Major
amw896's Avatar
Canada
547
Rep
1,096
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M235i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: ontario

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [5.00]
I think it's funny that a genesis g70 will look better than the new gen m3.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2019, 02:32 AM   #148
doccyber
Captain
doccyber's Avatar
United_States
235
Rep
612
Posts

Drives: %D0%97%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Let's not forget that G70 was launched in 2017. So
It's 2 model years behind from G20
3 series. As such it was marketed as a competitor to the F30. Now once The new G70 comes out in the next 2 years I'm sure it will have more power, better quality interior and the difference as compared to current G20 BMW will be even smaller. I
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #149
EXE46
First Lieutenant
EXE46's Avatar
United_States
341
Rep
342
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i RWD
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: State of Dystopia

iTrader: (0)

I guess you'll upgrade then, good for you. If it's bargain you're after just buy one after 3 years, they're worth nothing then.
__________________
Prior's: E36, E46 x2
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #150
6MTFTMFW
First Lieutenant
6MTFTMFW's Avatar
78
Rep
392
Posts

Drives: 2018 F30 340i 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW 440i  [0.00]
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab_rat View Post
It appears a few people in this thread use "Kia" as a seemingly derogatory or negative term for the Hyundai G70.

Thinly veiled bias is laughably thin.

Are there improvements to be made to the G70? Sure. But as Hyundai's first RWD sports sedan, it's quite an accomplishment.

Objectively, the G70 is a great addition to the sport sedan competition. At a minimum, Hyundai is pushing BMW to create better products.

The G70 gives driving enthusiasts more choices...and it's offered with a manual. This fact alone is quite an honorable commitment from a modern auto manufacturer.
That's the only thing I'll give to Kia/Huidai/Genesis - availability of MT.
Unfortunately it's only available with their 4 cylinder model and less equipment, but still that's an accomplishment.

As far as "kia" being derogatory or "thinly veiled bias" - there's no veil and Kia/Huidai cars are for bad credit buy here pay here if you can't afford a Camry/Corolla/Accord/Civic alternative. Nothing new or secret about it.

I personally don't like newcomers, disruptors, underdogs.
Stay in your lane. BMW/Lexus/MB/Audi/Porsche make enough mass produced "luxury" cars for everyone.
__________________

Last edited by 6MTFTMFW; 10-28-2019 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #151
wtwo3
Captain
wtwo3's Avatar
375
Rep
601
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MTFTMFW View Post
I personally don't like newcomers, disruptors, underdogs.
Stay in your lane. BMW/Lexus/MB/Audi/Porsche make enough mass produced "luxury" cars for everyone.
Not sure I totally agree with this part. If only because these newcomers posing a legitimate threat to the incumbents means the BMW/Lexus/MB/Audi/Porsche are forced to up their game to stay ahead of the newcomers. I think that's sort of what happened with the G series BMW's isn't it? BMW had to up their game to reclaim its throne among pressures from not only the current luxury brands but also the newcomers.

The worst thing that can happen to us consumers is these luxury brands resting on their laurels and all of a sudden we find ourselves paying premium money for a mediocre car hiding behind its brand.
Appreciate 2
lab_rat235.50

      10-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #152
joshuastein55
Lieutenant Colonel
joshuastein55's Avatar
United_States
2291
Rep
1,735
Posts

Drives: Mercedes-Benz/BMW
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MTFTMFW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab_rat View Post
It appears a few people in this thread use "Kia" as a seemingly derogatory or negative term for the Hyundai G70.

Thinly veiled bias is laughably thin.

Are there improvements to be made to the G70? Sure. But as Hyundai's first RWD sports sedan, it's quite an accomplishment.

Objectively, the G70 is a great addition to the sport sedan competition. At a minimum, Hyundai is pushing BMW to create better products.

The G70 gives driving enthusiasts more choices...and it's offered with a manual. This fact alone is quite an honorable commitment from a modern auto manufacturer.
That's the only thing I'll give to Kia/Huidai/Genesis - availability of MT.
Unfortunately it's only available with their 4 cylinder model and less equipment, but still that's an accomplishment.

As far as "kia" being derogatory or "thinly veiled bias" - there's no veil and Kia/Huidai cars are for bad credit buy here pay here if you can't afford a Camry/Corolla/Accord/Civic alternative. Nothing new or secret about it.

I personally don't like newcomers, disruptors, underdogs.
Stay in your lane. BMW/Lexus/MB/Audi/Porsche make enough mass produced "luxury" cars for everyone.
I don't know, some really good cars come out of the "disrupters" the first generation Lexus IS and the third/fourth generation G35/37 were pretty good Japanese Sport Sedans. The G in particular was close to stepping on BMW's toes back in the day. Sadly now though, neither brand makes anything as compelling. I see the G70 as a great replacement for those who might have owned an IS or G in the past.
__________________
Current Vehicles - 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 | 2019 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Retired Vehicles - 1995 325i 5MT | 2004 330i 6MT | 2011 335xi | 2017 540i | 2017 Boxster S 6MT
Appreciate 2
lab_rat235.50
jmack21.00

      10-28-2019, 12:01 PM   #153
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
409
Rep
551
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
For many years it was easy to walk into any store and buy a Rolex. This has only changed in the past 5 years. Why? Social media garbage.

I just bought a Jaeger LeCoultre and every shop I went to try and peddled me a Rolex and I laughed....it's as generic as a luxury watch gets IMO. The fact that it's heavily copied is true; but doesn't make it any more appealing to me.

The fact is, BMW in 2019 is not the same as BMW in 1989 or even 1999. They aren't making cars that are invincibly cool; they are making cars to sell a badge. There's nothing inherently "cool" about BMW right now, IMO. As uncool as Kia/Hyundai seems it's not that far off the BMW track as you seem to think...
You're a funny chap, the JL can be viewed as uncool as well, I raise you my imaginary A. Lange & Sohne. Since when is the cool factor a requirement for car purchase lol. Epic nonsense, the 3er was never a cool car, a Bugatti can be considered cool but not a BMW, unless we are talking about an M1. BMW is in the business of selling mass produced cars and turning a profit, that has always been the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
For many years it was easy to walk into any store and buy a Rolex. This has only changed in the past 5 years. Why? Social media garbage.

I just bought a Jaeger LeCoultre and every shop I went to try and peddled me a Rolex and I laughed....it's as generic as a luxury watch gets IMO. The fact that it's heavily copied is true; but doesn't make it any more appealing to me.

The fact is, BMW in 2019 is not the same as BMW in 1989 or even 1999. They aren't making cars that are invincibly cool; they are making cars to sell a badge. There's nothing inherently "cool" about BMW right now, IMO. As uncool as Kia/Hyundai seems it's not that far off the BMW track as you seem to think...
You're a funny chap, the JL can be viewed as uncool as well, I raise you my imaginary A. Lange & Sohne. Since when is the cool factor a requirement for car purchase lol. Epic nonsense, the 3er was never a cool car, a Bugatti can be considered cool but not a BMW, unless we are talking about an M1. BMW is in the business of selling mass produced cars and turning a profit, that has always been the case.
It's a family car who cares.

It's not an enthusiast car.

It's cross shopped with mini SUV's
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #154
6MTFTMFW
First Lieutenant
6MTFTMFW's Avatar
78
Rep
392
Posts

Drives: 2018 F30 340i 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW 440i  [0.00]
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
I don't know, some really good cars come out of the "disrupters" the first generation Lexus IS and the third/fourth generation G35/37 were pretty good Japanese Sport Sedans. The G in particular was close to stepping on BMW's toes back in the day. Sadly now though, neither brand makes anything as compelling. I see the G70 as a great replacement for those who might have owned an IS or G in the past.
I have to ask truly out of curiosity. You've been posting and commenting about that Kia since day 1.
Why do you care so much about it, you've got the best BMW car currently made M2 Comp and a very respectable MB. Who the f cares about some Kia that's trying to break in somewhere it doesn't belong.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST