Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Assisted Driving View

11-22-2019, 04:58 AM   #1
mrbonden
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

Assisted Driving View

Hi - I have Driving Assistant Prof with the assisted driving view (where cars around you are displayed graphically)

I experience that it is inconsistent in identifying when its a car, motorcycle or truck. And also not always able to identify if there is a lane next to you or not.

What is your experience?

Best Thor
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Same
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:32 AM   #3
bladers
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbonden View Post
Hi - I have Driving Assistant Prof with the assisted driving view (where cars around you are displayed graphically)

I experience that it is inconsistent in identifying when its a car, motorcycle or truck. And also not always able to identify if there is a lane next to you or not.

What is your experience?

Best Thor
This is because the vision system is only on the three forward tri-focal cameras. So probably will be mis-characterized by the radar when the vehicle is adjacent to you and correctly identified when it comes in view of the camera.

Also BMW doesn't display the lane detection output (although they have access to it), they only display default lanes from a map.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
azwillnj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladers View Post
Also BMW doesn't display the lane detection output (although they have access to it), they only display default lanes from a map.
That's not true, mine absolutely displays the information as the system sees it. It will show very short turning lanes and sometimes confuses poorly marked large shoulders for another lane on very rare occasions. It also feeds the information into the nav system and I can see the exact lane I'm in on the head up display when a nav event is coming up. The little orange arrow moves over in real time to the lane that I move into. This is not possible with consumer GPS accuracy so it must be the camera system inferring which lane you're in.

WE ARE!
Appreciate 1
siegester344.50
      11-27-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
bladers
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwillnj View Post
That's not true, mine absolutely displays the information as the system sees it. It will show very short turning lanes and sometimes confuses poorly marked large shoulders for another lane on very rare occasions. It also feeds the information into the nav system and I can see the exact lane I'm in on the head up display when a nav event is coming up. The little orange arrow moves over in real time to the lane that I move into. This is not possible with consumer GPS accuracy so it must be the camera system inferring which lane you're in.
Really? because according to the video below, it looks like it displays a fixed lane/lane size based on up to three lane. its not displaying exactly what the lane detector is seeing but just the fact that the lanes exists. Although if you have a video of it during a curve on surface streets i would love to see it and confirm.

Basically Its not like this video below for example. Not much difference other than the fact its nice to see what the car is actually seeing (although this view is still a lil too sanitized for my liking. I know they did it for visual consumption in that its missing some of the lane and road edge outputs).

https://cdn-app.nio.com/user/2019/10...91bada5403.mp4
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:09 AM   #6
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladers View Post
Really? because according to the video below, it looks like it displays a fixed lane/lane size based on up to three lane. its not displaying exactly what the lane detector is seeing but just the fact that the lanes exists. Although if you have a video of it during a curve on surface streets i would love to see it and confirm.

Basically Its not like this video below for example. Not much difference other than the fact its nice to see what the car is actually seeing (although this view is still a lil too sanitized for my liking. I know they did it for visual consumption in that its missing some of the lane and road edge outputs).

https://cdn-app.nio.com/user/2019/10...91bada5403.mp4

The lane graphic is static, it does not attempt to display the lane widths like in your second video. However, it's detection of lanes is still dynamic. I too have it falsely pick up 'lanes' sometimes. The cameras probably present the lane width, etc to the computer systems, but they are not displayed. This is still an early version of assisted driving, and BMW is still iterating. So more dynamic displays could show up in the future, if BMW thinks that type of information is valuable. Personally I don't care to see lane width represented in the cluster.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #7
azwillnj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

Ok, yes, the actual width of the lane is not dynamic and does not curve. I see what you're saying now, it does have dynamic detection of the lanes around it though. Up to one on either side.

WE ARE!
Appreciate 0