Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications MHD or BM3 tune for M340i

04-25-2024, 06:16 PM   #45
nolantyler
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i xdrive, 2022 Q5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustwhyn View Post
While this is totally valid, we can’t ignore the new MHD+ Reflex integration. No other platform has integration as advanced as this, and if people want to make big power, MHD is the way to go currently. (Until PTF finally releases their CANBUS integration board they’ve been blue-balling us with)
is there anyone running this yet? My car is scheduled to go to FEMTO in 4 weeks and is getting MHD + the reflex
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 07:10 PM   #46
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustwhyn View Post
While this is totally valid, we can’t ignore the new MHD+ Reflex integration. No other platform has integration as advanced as this, and if people want to make big power, MHD is the way to go currently. (Until PTF finally releases their CANBUS integration board they’ve been blue-balling us with)
BM3 integration is way more advanced. Their Rev2 board uses what’s called FlexRay. It’s 20 times faster than CANBUS.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 10:29 AM   #47
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
BM3 integration is way more advanced. Their Rev2 board uses what’s called FlexRay. It’s 20 times faster than CANBUS.
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 12:48 PM   #48
Davg31
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
It's only used during installation, right? so it's a one-time benefit?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:13 PM   #49
Zach_W
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I have owned my M340i for about a month and was looking to tune it and kept seeing things about 2021+ need to have their ecu shipped overseas, If I went with MHD I wouldnt have to do that correct and could do it myself?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #50
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_W View Post
I have owned my M340i for about a month and was looking to tune it and kept seeing things about 2021+ need to have their ecu shipped overseas, If I went with MHD I wouldnt have to do that correct and could do it myself?
Most anything with a production date of 21+ has to go to Femto (overseas) for an unlock. And if the car gets relocked back overseas it goes.

While MHD and Mission both offer "at home" bench unlock tools they are limited to vehicles with a production date <6/2020

ps- production date is for the DME and not the car itself, I only share this because there are a few (very few I would imagine) 2021's out there that are equipped with the earlier DME
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:16 PM   #51
Zach_W
Registered
Rep

well downpipe for now it is lol, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:23 PM   #52
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well downpipe for now it is lol, thanks!
Which one are you getting?

Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:39 AM   #53
Zach_W
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Which one are you getting?
I was looking at vrsf but those see cheap, but prob active autoworke, how logical is it to just buy another ecu and have that tuned in order to not void warranty?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:24 AM   #54
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

Quote:
I was looking at vrsf but those see cheap, but prob active autoworke, how logical is it to just buy another ecu and have that tuned in order to not void warranty?
"Cheap" - no not cheap - just that the others are expensive - for no good reason. Well except for the cats - thats where the cost is. For a high flow downpipe using 200cel cats is perfectly fine for high performance - and these are not that expensive. Catless has no cats so its just a piece of welded pipe.

The others "may" use higher cost cats but that is usually for those that don't want a CEL. But the tradeoff is they won't flow quite as well as they use denser cats.

The MAD and VRSF and perfectly good. Its just a pipe of stainless steel. So as long as the quality of the stainless is good and the welds are good, it really doesn't make a difference.

I have a MAD catted 200 cel downpipe for about a year and it's great. Perfect fit, great support and service and the quality is great.

But you spend as much as you like. There really isn't any benefit.

Regarding "buying another ECU" - nope that won't work. Too complicated today. There are tuners out there that can fully back up your ECU and later restore it to true factory - supposedly without a trace. But I don't know too much about them.

In addition to the MAD dp, I also have an MHD tune, plus run XHP and xdelete for total control.

Bottom line: you pay to play. I actually now have an aftermarket warranty as my factory warranty ended, and they don't care if its tuned - I have had a few claims - no issue - all engine related.

Last edited by cyam; Today at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:41 AM   #55
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was looking at vrsf but those see cheap, but prob active autoworke
If you are getting a catted downpipe, it's worth it to upgrade to the active autowerke as they use GESI EPA-approved cats that will not trigger any check engine light or emission-related codes

If you are getting catless, I recommend the MAD over the VRSF.

Quote:
how logical is it to just buy another ecu and have that tuned in order to not void warranty?
For a tune to affect the warranty, it would need to cause damage to another component of the car. Based on the data we have, hundreds of thousands have tunes without any issues.
the likelihood of your car being totaled is probably higher than the risk of damaging a component due to the tune. In my opinion, getting another ECU to tune your car is not a logical decision.

Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:06 AM   #56
Info@mad-us.com
Major General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyam View Post
"Cheap" - no not cheap - just that the others are expensive - for no good reason. Well except for the cats - thats where the cost is. For a high flow downpipe using 200cel cats is perfectly fine for high performance - and these are not that expensive. Catless has no cats so its just a piece of welded pipe.

The others "may" use higher cost cats but that is usually for those that don't want a CEL. But the tradeoff is they won't flow quite as well as they use denser cats.

The MAD and VRSF and perfectly good. Its just a pipe of stainless steel. So as long as the quality of the stainless is good and the welds are good, it really doesn't make a difference.

I have a MAD catted 200 cel downpipe for about a year and it's great. Perfect fit, great support and service and the quality is great.

But you spend as much as you like. There really isn't any benefit.

Regarding "buying another ECU" - nope that won't work. Too complicated today. There are tuners out there that can fully back up your ECU and later restore it to true factory - supposedly without a trace. But I don't know too much about them.

In addition to the MAD dp, I also have an MHD tune, plus run XHP and xdelete for total control.

Bottom line: you pay to play. I actually now have an aftermarket warranty as my factory warranty ended, and they don't care if its tuned - I have had a few claims - no issue - all engine related.
Quote:

Thank you for the review and kind words!

Our 200 cell catted is currently in stock and ready to ship. While it does not have a super expensive price tag, it does have all the features of the more expensive offerings such as 304 stainless, Super smooth transition, excellent welds and a S wound catalytic core.

https://mad-us.com/mad-b58-4.5-catte...chassis-supra/

Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:04 PM   #57
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostisfun View Post
I was originally here for the comments. BM3 helped me through a true headache without question or charge. I f'ed up big time. I sent my software level to them to create a file for Femto to unlock and later had my software updated before sending my DME to Femto. They were responsive and put me at ease that the problem could be fixed with the unlock file from Femto (which Femto provided to me). I haven't experienced any form or them being unresponsive or negligent.
Similar experience with BM3 support - I initially activated my BM3 license on one ROM version and later updated the DME to the next supported ROM version before sending the DME to Femto. That caused some issues, but the support team was able to move my VIN/profile over to the proper ROM version. Once that was corrected, I flashed without any issues.

I've had responses from BM3 support in 5 minutes. FIVE minutes. That's the equivalent of someone sitting at a computer waiting for a ticket to come in, reading, responding, and me receiving within 5 minutes. That's not always the case, obviously, but their support has been great. Ironing out some torque limitation issues took some time, but that's how it goes with software and finding the needle in a stack of needles thrown at the haystack.

Their flex fuel setup is great, CustomROM works well, and ticking a box for S58 injector/DS25-350 pump is a bonus. Now if they would just stop teasing v2 that'd be great
Appreciate 0