Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Anyone able to code Auto-Stop-Start on version 03/23

08-13-2023, 06:30 AM   #45
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340D LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobeagle View Post
Promising. Was that iOS or Android?
Android
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2023, 06:33 AM   #46
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhock_holiday View Post
What else did you code?
Start car in ECO individual mode
Light / rain sensor insensitive
lights insensitive
Turn off passenger mirror tilt in reverse
No horn when locking car with engine running
Enable option to turn off lights with engine running
Exterior lighting switch off allowed - change to active
Window lifter interuption when opening door - removed
Auto start stop memory function active
Auto start stop not active
Air circulation setting memory Active
Remove seat belt chimes driver and passenger
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 08:52 PM   #47
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy5468 View Post
I might be careful with this one - I’ve heard it could prevent your airbags from deploying in the event of a crash. Not sure if anyone has figured out how to reduce the volume or mute it. My gripe with the chime is that it starts to sound as soon as the engine starts regardless of whether the gear is engaged. Super annoying. I much prefer if it only went off after driving a short distance without seat belt - as is the case with other manufacturers.

I also had mine coded off - just like you but I’m going to revert back out of an abundance of caution until someone has figured out how to really reduce the volume of the chime.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 10:44 PM   #48
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Quote:
I might be careful with this one - I’ve heard it could prevent your airbags from deploying in the event of a crash.
Do you mind sharing where you heard this? I’d be really surprised if this is the case.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2023, 12:22 AM   #49
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you mind sharing where you heard this? I’d be really surprised if this is the case.
I read it on this forum; probably try searching around.

Why would you be surprised?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 01:52 AM   #50
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I read it on this forum; probably try searching around.

Why would you be surprised?
My understanding is that these basic configurations are mostly about regional preferences (e.g. show the iDrive legal disclaimer at startup in the USA because it’s so litigious there, but hide it in other countries). So to actually expose a configuration flag that lets you disable the airbags strikes me as odd, and even more odd for it to be bundled in with a seatbelt warning chime. I also think that if the airbag were disabled, the airbag light would be flipped on. If there really is a way for the airbags to be disabled by software, it would be for the technicians’ safety. But then BMW would want to make really sure that they don’t forget to flip it back on.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2023, 02:50 AM   #51
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My understanding is that these basic configurations are mostly about regional preferences (e.g. show the iDrive legal disclaimer at startup in the USA because it’s so litigious there, but hide it in other countries). So to actually expose a configuration flag that lets you disable the airbags strikes me as odd, and even more odd for it to be bundled in with a seatbelt warning chime. I also think that if the airbag were disabled, the airbag light would be flipped on. If there really is a way for the airbags to be disabled by software, it would be for the technicians’ safety. But then BMW would want to make really sure that they don’t forget to flip it back on.
You might have to read my original comment; I didn’t suggest that coding seatbelt chime off disables airbag; rather, it could prevent the airbags from deploying — based on info from other threads.

Also - what exactly do you mean by exposed configuration? I don’t believe the manufacturer expects owners to code their vehicles at all. Those of us who code our cars are a small minority; so your argument about exposed configration is a moot point. Moreover if you tempered with a code that potentially affects how the seatbelt might react the manufacturer bears no legal responsibility. So again the question of litigation is not applicable as you’ll be liable.

I personally would prefer to reduce the number of seconds for the initial gong — a parameter that’s codeable in earlier models like my E90 while leaving the system intact.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 09:33 AM   #52
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You might have to read my original comment; I didn’t suggest that coding seatbelt chime off disables airbag; rather, it could prevent the airbags from deploying — based on info from other threads.

Also - what exactly do you mean by exposed configuration? I don’t believe the manufacturer expects owners to code their vehicles at all. Those of us who code our cars are a small minority; so your argument about exposed configration is a moot point. Moreover if you tempered with a code that potentially affects how the seatbelt might react the manufacturer bears no legal responsibility. So again the question of litigation is not applicable as you’ll be liable.

I personally would prefer to reduce the number of seconds for the initial gong — a parameter that’s codeable in earlier models like my E90 while leaving the system intact.
This is a pointless argument. If you find some links on why you think the airbag do not work properly when the seatbelt chime is coded off, please share (I really would appreciate it). I could not find it in a search. I’m not interested in winning any debate. I have the chime coded off and so it’s a practical matter for me. I’d never heard of this side effect, so it’s very concerning.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 09:06 PM   #53
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

I can confirm that I installed 03/23 today. After updating Bimmercode I was able to code the ASS to always off, and it works.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 01:25 AM   #54
dhock_holiday
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
I can confirm that I installed 03/23 today. After updating Bimmercode I was able to code the ASS to always off, and it works.
Does it still work in ECO mode or is it disabled globally?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 05:15 AM   #55
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Re seatbelt chiming, this sounds a like a market specific regulation. In the U.K. we only ( at least on my g30) get a chime after you have moved off and driven a small distance. The icon will appear in the smash’s but no chime unless you drive a bit or perhaps reach a certain speed. So you can manoeuvre the car around with getting chimed at.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 09:28 AM   #56
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
This problem is specific to cars with the mild hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 10:24 AM   #57
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This problem is specific to cars with the mild hybrid.
Yes it works on mild hybrid now based on previous comments.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 04:16 PM   #58
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes it works on mild hybrid now based on previous comments.
I can't speak from direct experience unfortunately as I didn't update, but I emailed the bimmercode dev today and the response was that it won't work on 03/2023. I have an X3 M40i (and that's the model I specifically asked him about) so that may not apply to the G20. But I'm also following a few threads on various models, and they all seem to suggest it's still blocked. Take it for what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 04:21 PM   #59
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can't speak from direct experience unfortunately as I didn't update, but I emailed the bimmercode dev today and the response was that it won't work on 03/2023. I have an X3 M40i (and that's the model I specifically asked him about) so that may not apply to the G20. But I'm also following a few threads on various models, and they all seem to suggest it's still blocked. Take it for what it's worth.
Haven’t tested it either (I’m still on 03/2022) but don’t see why a forum member would lie about it.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30364318
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 04:28 PM   #60
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Haven’t tested it either (I’m still on 03/2022) but don’t see why a forum member would lie about it.

Definitely not accusing anyone. The simplest explanation may very well be that G01 and G20 are different in this regard. But there are all kinds of factors that could be in play - maybe the software update by that member was to a lower version, or maybe it failed for some reason but didn’t flag. Anyway, ultimately I’m just passing along what I got from bimmercode directly.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 04:32 PM   #61
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Definitely not accusing anyone. The simplest explanation may very well be that G01 and G20 are different in this regard. But there are all kinds of factors that could be in play - maybe the software update by that member was to a lower version, or maybe it failed for some reason but didn’t flag. Anyway, ultimately I’m just passing along what I got from bimmercode directly.
Yep - this particular thread is for G20 😊 So yeah there might be differences depending on model. I should’ve been more specific on the tile.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 12:28 AM   #62
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Work fine on mine. Coded off with Bimmercode no problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 05:43 AM   #63
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Still haven’t been able to code it off mine. Bimmercode says it was coded, but neither coding memory nor coding it “Not Active” seems to actually apply.

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 1
jfcbmw19.00
      08-22-2023, 07:05 AM   #64
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Simply coding it as ASS “not active” does not work on my 2021 mild hybrid M340i. You can code it, and it writes the change, but nothing happens to turn off ASS.

Finally went back and coded it to start up in Sport Individual, where ASS is always off.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 10:03 AM   #65
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Work fine on mine. Coded off with Bimmercode no problems.
Android or iOS?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 12:09 PM   #66
jfcbmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4sh_90 View Post
Still haven’t been able to code it off mine. Bimmercode says it was coded, but neither coding memory nor coding it “Not Active” seems to actually apply.
This is what I experienced on my 2022 M340i xDrive
Appreciate 0