Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 330d M340 diffuser towbar compatibility

12-06-2022, 09:06 AM   #1
EstorilBlueZ
Rep
Drives: G21 330d M, Z3m, Cayman & 928S

330d M340 diffuser towbar compatibility

I've recently bought a very nice, low mileage Dravit Grey M Sport G21 330d that's fitted with a BMW electric tow-hitch. I'd really like to upgrade the rear bumper to have the M340 look diffuser and tailpipes.

I've heard it suggested that this is not possible with the tow-hitch, although I recently found a BMW document that suggests this may be possible by cutting one of the diffuser lugs off. Does anyone out there have any experience of carrying out this modification on a tow-hitch equipped car? Or perhaps fitting a tow-hitch to a M340?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 04:19 AM   #2
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

I am assuming you refer to the M Performance diffuser, as the standard diffuser on the M340 is no different in style (tailpipe cut-outs obviously are). In that case you can fit the OEM M Performance diffuser or an identical aftermarket replica with no issues.
I have an M340 with towbar and fitted an aftermarket M Performance diffuser replica with no issues. As you might have already seen, there is very little clearance between diffuser/towbar. If you go for an aftermarket diffuser that has a different design or slightly larger fins or fits deeper on the underside it won't fit.
'15 LCI F30 330d M Sport Plus in EBII
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 05:22 AM   #3
Jimbon1973
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring (ordered Jan 22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilBlueZ View Post
I've recently bought a very nice, low mileage Dravit Grey M Sport G21 330d that's fitted with a BMW electric tow-hitch. I'd really like to upgrade the rear bumper to have the M340 look diffuser and tailpipes.

I've heard it suggested that this is not possible with the tow-hitch, although I recently found a BMW document that suggests this may be possible by cutting one of the diffuser lugs off. Does anyone out there have any experience of carrying out this modification on a tow-hitch equipped car? Or perhaps fitting a tow-hitch to a M340?
N44RT- what diffuser did you get in the end?
Any pics?
I've got the OEM roof spoiler and want to get a diffuser to match.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 07:58 AM   #4
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbon1973 View Post
N44RT- what diffuser did you get in the end?
Any pics?

I got this one from Carbon Factory. It's an identical replica of the M Performance one but with all the fins, as per the carbon insert version of the M Performance one. Good fit and look, happy with it.

I now have a full kit in gloss black (incl. OEM roof spoiler) but sourced from different places for a variety of reasons.

Not the best angle for diffuser, but only one I have.
Attached Images

'15 LCI F30 330d M Sport Plus in EBII
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2022, 08:51 AM   #5
Jimbon1973
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring (ordered Jan 22)

That's perfect, all i needed to see! Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 12:05 PM   #6
Gaffer18
Registered
Rep
Drives: G21 330d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44RTT View Post

I got this one from Carbon Factory. It's an identical replica of the M Performance one but with all the fins, as per the carbon insert version of the M Performance one. Good fit and look, happy with it.

I now have a full kit in gloss black (incl. OEM roof spoiler) but sourced from different places for a variety of reasons.

Not the best angle for diffuser, but only one I have.

Looks great. Does the factory towbar still function with this? I got a Maxton design diffuser but it didn't allow deployment of the towbar and would require too much to be cut away so ended up returning it but still on the look for an alternative which is compatible with the factory towbar.
Cheers
Appreciate 0