Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum COVID changed dealers to the Tesla Model

08-22-2022, 12:16 PM   #1
19G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

COVID changed dealers to the Tesla Model

I don't think we will ever go back to the days of getting crazy deals on new cars. I think COVID created an opportunity for manufacturers to sell at MSRP. I mean, wouldn't you want profits to be higher and cars not to sit around at a dealer. Sounds like the smart business model. Especially since people are willing to pay. Manufacturers cleared out inventory and will keep supply at a minimum for as long as they can.

I just bought out my lease. Thanks BMW of Daytona, no BS fees, straight up residual and tax.

I was just thinking about my next car and I love to get deals. Will we ever go back to pre-COVID dealer negotiations?!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 12:40 PM   #2
Tron-M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19G20 View Post
I don't think we will ever go back to the days of getting crazy deals on new cars. I think COVID created an opportunity for manufacturers to sell at MSRP. I mean, wouldn't you want profits to be higher and cars not to sit around at a dealer. Sounds like the smart business model. Especially since people are willing to pay. Manufacturers cleared out inventory and will keep supply at a minimum for as long as they can.

I just bought out my lease. Thanks BMW of Daytona, no BS fees, straight up residual and tax.

I was just thinking about my next car and I love to get deals. Will we ever go back to pre-COVID dealer negotiations?!
It's a supply and demand issue. Once inventory is greater than demand, dealers will look to make deals to move inventory. BTW, it's the dealers that are profiting with ADMs, not the manufacturers. Glad you found a dealer you can trust.
Appreciate 2
EXE462100.00
      08-22-2022, 12:55 PM   #3
19G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron-M3 View Post
It's a supply and demand issue. Once inventory is greater than demand, dealers will look to make deals to move inventory. BTW, it's the dealers that are profiting with ADMs, not the manufacturers. Glad you found a dealer you can trust.
I hope so. It seems like it is under the guise of supply and demand. Manufacturers don't need to offer incentives like they used to on the backend and the dealers do whatever they want.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 01:20 AM   #4
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
Without new stock, the sales people are also twiddling theirs thumbs with nothing to sell.
So while in the short term it is looking great for them having orders on the books, in the long term, they're not making their commission as easily or as quickly!
Customers can get impatient and cancel at anytime and get their deposits back.
Dealerships here are already calling offering higher values for our cars and service departments are calling for service appointments!
They're losing money too…
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 11:21 PM   #5
Sandpiper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

They're also loosing sales because they don't have cars to sell. I want to sell my old car and buy a new one, but since they don't have an new inventory I will stick to my old car until they have something to sell.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 07:29 AM   #6
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Garage List
2015 Yamaha FZ-09  [10.00]
2018 BMW S1000XR   [9.83]
2018 BMW R1200RT  [10.00]
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
With the economy slowing rapidly (even more likely after that idiots speech yesterday), demand will decline and inventories will slowly climb.

As inventories grow, faced with the choice of selling a car at a discount to msrp or holding out hope that another fool will come in and pay msrp, very few dealers will hold the line.
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      08-27-2022, 11:31 AM   #7
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

I WISH we could go to the "tesla model". I'm tired of having to put up with random middlemen just because they support the local little baseball league.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 11:15 AM   #8
tgrundke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M340xi; '16 GTI Autobahn

Garage List
2023 M340  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
I WISH we could go to the "tesla model". I'm tired of having to put up with random middlemen just because they support the local little baseball league.
So long as you're comfortable paying MSRP and don't expect a discount.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2022, 06:11 AM   #9
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Quote:

Personally I value the ability to interact face-to-face; and have the capability to walk in and visit my local dealer whenever I choose. The online model is too distant and impersonal.
Appreciate 0