Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin Breaking in a new car?

08-05-2022, 11:37 AM   #23
siwatkins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i XDrive Coupe (G22)

I've always been careful during the break in period with all my new BMWs, and none has used any oil between services. Lets face it, they are hardly stringent RPM limits anyway - you don't need to hit more than 2/3k rpm in B58 to make rapid progress, and you don't need to floor it to do so. I always let them idle till I'm confident that oil pressure has built up and oil has started circulating, and never drive hard until I've reached normal operating temperatures.

And I don't see the 1200 mile mark as a trigger point to start driving it like a loon either - there is nothing fundamentally different about the engine at 1199 miles, and 1201 miles. I build up rpm's beyond that and don't start thrashing it because I've hit 1200. But that's just me - I always treat them as if I'm going to keep them forever, even if I never do. I'm an engineer by profession, so perhaps it's that innate respect for the mechanicals.

I know there are others who will choose differently and let rip from the get go - which is why I'd always have a nagging doubt over buying an ex-Dealer demo, or an ex-lease car myself. Others may not care!

Heck, I even had a rental car once with 10 miles on the clock, and I respected normal break in for that. Someone one day will benefit from that care downstream. But at the end of the day, it's your money, your car, so it's down to you.

BMW put the instructions in there for a reason - sure break-in periods are less critical these days - but there is still increased friction, metal finings, and honing marks to bed in. I look after the cars I buy in all other regards, why not also the drivetrain. It's not the hardest thing to do - 1200 miles gets covered pretty quickly in a new car in any case - all the reasons we find to take it for a drive
Appreciate 2
j luke77.50
      02-26-2023, 01:11 PM   #24
KeepUp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340

Here is a link to an article on it. In short it I says yes, it’s still helpful. Avoid going over 4,500 RPM and 100 mph to allow engine and transmission to adjust. Has similar guidance for brakes and tires and explains why.

https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-li...a-new-car.html
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 01:52 PM   #25
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedTo///M View Post
Funny how people still practise changing their oil after the first 1-2k miles when BMW states it is no longer necessary.

"While many engine break-in tips also apply to modern engines, one compulsory rule for new cars has disappeared, as it’s no longer necessary to change the engine oil after the first 1,000 miles. You should, however, also keep these break-in practices in mind when replacing individual components later on."
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 12:21 PM   #26
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

i change mine at 1000 and 2000 miles then every 5000 miles

also immediately turn off auto stop start - imagine the engine cooking with no oil circulating ... ouch
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:27 PM   #27
Speeddemon96
Rep
Drives: Acura TLX TYPE S

so y'all forget something? when you test drives cars they sell those models too. just cause you buy new doesn't mean its never been driven by no one. when I test drove the m340i it had 9 miles on the clock and i went WOT. i felt bad for the next owner but they insisted i drive it hard to feel the power.
Appreciate 0