Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 18k mile used m340i - no service history on carfax

04-25-2023, 11:53 PM   #1
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW GSA 1250 , BMW m340i (soon

18k mile used m340i - no service history on carfax

Hey guys I’m looking at used MY 2020 m340i and I have found a few that are low mileage (under 20k) but have no service records on carfax.

My main concern is :
Will the owner having missed the 10k oil change and me doing the first documented one at 18k make me unable to use my warranty for powertrain later on the cars life due to what the previous owner did or didn’t do ?

I know the ideal option would be cpo in this situation so that at least my position in a warranty claim complication can be that it was certified so they need to uphold their warranty but what about with a non cpo car ?

There’s actually quite a few non cpo cars around me with better options and mileage than cpo.

Last edited by BimmerLoyal; 04-26-2023 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 09:10 AM   #2
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Lots of things don’t get reported to CarFax. Particularly maintenance items. You could drive a truck through the holes in the information on CarFax.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

04-26-2023, 09:25 AM   #3
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Lots of things don’t get reported to CarFax. Particularly maintenance items. You could drive a truck through the holes in the information on CarFax.
😂 the phrasing has me 💀.

I know they don’t show a majority of service I was more asking in regards to whether or not this would make my life hell if there’s ever an engine issue and I need to get it covered under warranty.

Theoretically this is just one missed oil change since I’ll do an oil change the second I got the car and it only missed its first 10,000 mile oil change

Still I always try to remain aware of anything and everything that could be attributed to a problem and therefore blamed on me.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 09:50 AM   #4
superfuel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Carfax is really only good for telling you things like how many owners and what use the car was, like Fleet or lease. If there are routine maintenance services on there than its a bonus.

You can see if you can get the service history from the BMW dealership. Not good to do the first oil change at nearly 20k miles.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 10:27 AM   #5
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerLoyal View Post
�� the phrasing has me ��.

I know they don’t show a majority of service I was more asking in regards to whether or not this would make my life hell if there’s ever an engine issue and I need to get it covered under warranty.

Theoretically this is just one missed oil change since I’ll do an oil change the second I got the car and it only missed its first 10,000 mile oil change

Still I always try to remain aware of anything and everything that could be attributed to a problem and therefore blamed on me.
Since oil changes are free for the first three years it’s pretty unlikely it was skipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfuel View Post
Carfax is really only good for telling you things like how many owners and what use the car was, like Fleet or lease. If there are routine maintenance services on there than its a bonus.

You can see if you can get the service history from the BMW dealership. Not good to do the first oil change at nearly 20k miles.

Good luck!
As mentioned above, ask a BMW dealer to check the history. There is something called the Warranty Vehicle Inquiry that shows everything done to the vehicle during the warranty period. If you were buying from a BMW dealer you could insist they provide you with a copy. They’re kind of persnickety about that. Since you’re not buying from a BMW dealer call a service department with the VIN and ask them if they will look at the report and confirm the oil changes were done on time. You can also ask if they’ll share any other details. You might get lucky and get a service advisor who will send a copy to you. Not real likely, but not impossible.

04-26-2023, 12:37 PM   #6
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Since oil changes are free for the first three years it’s pretty unlikely it was skipped.

As mentioned above, ask a BMW dealer to check the history. There is something called the Warranty Vehicle Inquiry that shows everything done to the vehicle during the warranty period. If you were buying from a BMW dealer you could insist they provide you with a copy. They’re kind of persnickety about that. Since you’re not buying from a BMW dealer call a service department with the VIN and ask them if they will look at the report and confirm the oil changes were done on time. You can also ask if they’ll share any other details. You might get lucky and get a service advisor who will send a copy to you. Not real likely, but not impossible.
You deserve a badge of some kind, one of the most valuable member's here that goes above and beyond to help newcomers with any BMW Warranty/buying related info.

Unfortunately, most of these folks don't bother to search because I have seen you mentioned the same information numerous times.
      04-26-2023, 12:47 PM   #7
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
You deserve a badge of some kind, one of the most valuable member's here that goes above and beyond to help newcomers with any BMW Warranty/buying related info.

Unfortunately, most of these folks don't bother to search because I have seen you mentioned the same information numerous times.
Thank you! Yes, sometimes it takes me a while to post because I don’t have the time at the particular moment to post everything I have in my mind. Before Bimmerfest went downhill so much I posted a lot over there. Before I switched over almost exclusively to Bimmerpost I managed to get a little over 20,000 posts on Bimmerfest. I don’t have quite as much time these days to post like I did back then.

Basically I’m cheap and I like to help folks save money and make the best decision.

04-26-2023, 01:03 PM   #8
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Thank you! Yes, sometimes it takes me a while to post because I don’t have the time at the particular moment to post everything I have in my mind. Before Bimmerfest went downhill so much I posted a lot over there. Before I switched over almost exclusively to Bimmerpost I managed to get a little over 20,000 posts on Bimmerfest. I don’t have quite as much time these days to post like I did back then.

Basically I’m cheap and I like to help folks save money and make the best decision.
Let’s hope these members appreciate the hard work you put in. Hell, I consider myself a veteran bimmer enthusiast and learned about the oil pump issue on the early M340i from your post and went to check mine lol. Anyhow! Your contributions are appreciated, thank you.
      04-26-2023, 02:05 PM   #9
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep

Quote:

Thank you very much kind sir. I was able to contact a BMW dealership and provide them with the Vin number for this car and they were able to confirm that it’s had three oil changes within the 18,000 miles that it’s existed.

It’s a third-party purchase so it’s not through a BMW dealer but I can still have my local BMW dealer look up the information on that vehicle and I believe the person on the phone might’ve actually been reading the warranty vehicle inquiry to me.

He said he saw no repairs in relation to anything and only service visits.

looks like I’m probably going to be going for this vehicle the only question now is how to make it sound better since it doesn’t have HK audio.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 04:00 PM   #10
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerLoyal View Post
Thank you very much kind sir. I was able to contact a BMW dealership and provide them with the Vin number for this car and they were able to confirm that it’s had three oil changes within the 18,000 miles that it’s existed.

It’s a third-party purchase so it’s not through a BMW dealer but I can still have my local BMW dealer look up the information on that vehicle and I believe the person on the phone might’ve actually been reading the warranty vehicle inquiry to me.

He said he saw no repairs in relation to anything and only service visits.

looks like I’m probably going to be going for this vehicle the only question now is how to make it sound better since it doesn’t have HK audio.
I’m sure that’s exactly what he was doing. When you’re buying from a BMW dealer they don’t like to give it to you, because of privacy concerns, but they can print a version that has no previous owner information on it and if you press them hard they will give in.

Regarding the stereo BAV Sound is the go to company https://www.bavsound.com/pages/bavso...xoCxJgQAvD_BwE