Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 07/2023.53 Software update

10-11-2023, 03:45 PM   #1
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
07/2023.53 Software update

Anyone get this RSU yet?
Mine is downloading right now!
Located in Canada btw.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 12:50 PM   #2
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport LCI

As I parked up after a 40 minute drive home from the office - the iDrive screen announced that 07/2023 was 39% downloaded - and would continue in the background whilst driving.

I'll be using the car tomorrow morning - so I'll check to see how far it gets.

Once download is complete - hopefully it will install, just like the last one did.

No faffing about transferring from phone to car - straight to car, install, done

However, after all that, it will probably make no descernible difference to the car's operation - except for erasing my coding

Regards, Mike (UK)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 01:02 PM   #3
Eljefe25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i xdrive

Anything noteworthy in the release notes?

I know the last update had something in the release notes about the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 11:39 AM   #4
leonidusRT
Registered
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

I installed it yesterday. Didn't really notice any significant change, although I've not driven the car after the update. Just that I had to set up the BMW voice assistant again and also make wee adjustments to the remote start pre-conditioning settings, after the update.

Located in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 05:43 AM   #5
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep

Car has updated to 07/2023.
Coding has been wiped - again

Only difference noted so far - Comfort is NOT as comfortable as Comfort Plus - I need to get the OBD Adapter & BimmerCode running either today or tomorrow

No changes to iDrive8 display - therefore some of the listed changes must be specific to certain versions of iDrive (8.5?)

Regards, Mike (still in UK)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 09:15 AM   #6
prjkthack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
https://www.bmw.com.mt/en/topics/off...ade-23-07.html

Here are the release notes, but dunno how much of it applies to the 3 series. Would love to see the entry/exit seat adjustment, as I miss that from my X5, but certainly not a deal breaker.

Of course I also don't have this update yet. Still stuck on 03.
Appreciate 1
JaminJ35.00
      10-14-2023, 10:59 AM   #7
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by prjkthack View Post
https://www.bmw.com.mt/en/topics/off...ade-23-07.html

Here are the release notes, but dunno how much of it applies to the 3 series. Would love to see the entry/exit seat adjustment, as I miss that from my X5, but certainly not a deal breaker.

Of course I also don't have this update yet. Still stuck on 03.
Yeah I don’t see any of those features. However I did notice during reverse, but not moving, the corner of the screen would flash red when cars were passing by on the street. Not the sensor lights. Not sure if that was there before!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 01:29 PM   #8
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLJ View Post
Yeah I don’t see any of those features. However I did notice during reverse, but not moving, the corner of the screen would flash red when cars were passing by on the street. Not the sensor lights. Not sure if that was there before!
Warning red light with motion detection or obstruction has always been there - at least for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 06:31 AM   #9
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep

Re-coded my preferred options with BimmerCode.

I could swear that ComfortPlus is even more compliant - maybe they increased the damper valve angle range available. Speed ridges in a car-park I visit every week were dispatched more like my previous Jaguar XF, very impressive

BimmerCode included extra instructions to ensure that ASD was disabled - and now it really is OFF - acceleration no longer generates false exhaust noises

Now if only they sort out the ASS

Regards, happy Mike.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 09:34 AM   #10
Unbuckled2579
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike330i View Post
Re-coded my preferred options with BimmerCode.

I could swear that ComfortPlus is even more compliant - maybe they increased the damper valve angle range available. Speed ridges in a car-park I visit every week were dispatched more like my previous Jaguar XF, very impressive

BimmerCode included extra instructions to ensure that ASD was disabled - and now it really is OFF - acceleration no longer generates false exhaust noises

Now if only they sort out the ASS

Regards, happy Mike.
Damn no way I didn't know bimmercode was compatible with iDrive 8, when I got the car last year it wasn't! What the hell is comfort plus

What other options do you have coded?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 10:37 AM   #11
Sushimaster
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

They changed the font and size of the speed number and the number of the km left on battery. I prefer the old font, this new one is ugly especially when there's a circle like 6, 8, 9 but it is now bigger.
Map got updated, better color now imo.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 12:36 PM   #12
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbuckled2579 View Post
Damn no way I didn't know bimmercode was compatible with iDrive 8, when I got the car last year it wasn't! What the hell is comfort plus

What other options do you have coded?
I only found out about Coding after registering on this site - when I started looking at returning to BMW. I took a bit of a gamble that BimmerCode would work with the new curved display (iDrive8) after test driving two iDrive7 equipped loaners. I was coding during the second week of ownership

I don't have masses of coding changes - I'm generally happy with the BMW default setups, but these are my current codes: -
Comfort Plus (only applicable to vehicles fitted with Adaptive Suspension).
Default start-up driving mode also set to Comfort Plus.
Five-flash turn indicators (for one-shot/flick mode).
Active Sound Design -> OFF, OFF, OFF - did I mention OFF.
Bowers & Wilkins Sound profiles (only applicable if HK system fitted).
Maximum volume at start-up = 50%

I would set Auto Start/Stop (well named ASS) to OFF. or remember last setting - but this option has been blocked by BMW, and BimmerCode developers have not managed to provide a work-around yet.

Re: Comfort Plus - it enables the dampers to go to an even softer setting than is possible with standard Comfort. The Adaptive nature of the system is still active - the car doesn't bounce around - but the softer dampers (shock absorbers) allow the car to ride over road imperfections / ridges / bumps with less cabin disturbance. Couple of button presses get you back to Comfort or Sport. For a daily commute on our poorly maintained roads - Comfort Plus all the way

Regards, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 06:08 PM   #13
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I only found out about Coding after registering on this site - when I started looking at returning to BMW. I took a bit of a gamble that BimmerCode would work with the new curved display (iDrive8) after test driving two iDrive7 equipped loaners. I was coding during the second week of ownership

I don't have masses of coding changes - I'm generally happy with the BMW default setups, but these are my current codes: -
Comfort Plus (only applicable to vehicles fitted with Adaptive Suspension).
Default start-up driving mode also set to Comfort Plus.
Five-flash turn indicators (for one-shot/flick mode).
Active Sound Design -> OFF, OFF, OFF - did I mention OFF.
Bowers & Wilkins Sound profiles (only applicable if HK system fitted).
Maximum volume at start-up = 50%

I would set Auto Start/Stop (well named ASS) to OFF. or remember last setting - but this option has been blocked by BMW, and BimmerCode developers have not managed to provide a work-around yet.

Re: Comfort Plus - it enables the dampers to go to an even softer setting than is possible with standard Comfort. The Adaptive nature of the system is still active - the car doesn't bounce around - but the softer dampers (shock absorbers) allow the car to ride over road imperfections / ridges / bumps with less cabin disturbance. Couple of button presses get you back to Comfort or Sport. For a daily commute on our poorly maintained roads - Comfort Plus all the way

Regards, Mike.
How easy it it to enable Comfort Plus?
Do you have to do a few steps it just one?
I also normally code sunroof to close when rain is detected. But it’s quite a few steps so I have not coded it back yet!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 06:09 PM   #14
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushimaster View Post
They changed the font and size of the speed number and the number of the km left on battery. I prefer the old font, this new one is ugly especially when there's a circle like 6, 8, 9 but it is now bigger.
Map got updated, better color now imo.
Which colours in particular?
I haven’t noticed any new ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 11:53 AM   #15
Sushimaster
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Which colours in particular?
I haven’t noticed any new ones.
Try to go somewhere using the car gps, the line where it show where to go etc is more bright green, and the line on the main display is bright blue, color used to be less bright before and dull. Now its easier to see.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 01:12 PM   #16
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Do you have to do a few steps it just one?
I also normally code sunroof to close when rain is detected. But it’s quite a few steps so I have not coded it back yet!
I've converted my instructions to a basic text file for compatibility with just about anything

The Expert Mode steps enable Comfort Plus, the Basic Mode step is just to set the default start-up mode - so not required if you just want to try it occasionally.

The longest time is waiting for my OBD adapter to read & write the modules - the steps are quick & easy.

Regards, Mike.
Attached Files
File Type: txt BimmerCode Comfort Plus.txt (677 Bytes, 202 views)
Appreciate 2
NLJ217.00
      10-16-2023, 02:25 PM   #17
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Comfort+ is not optimized for the G20 — it was designed for Alpina. Not recommended to code it but you can program it at your own risk.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2023, 02:55 PM   #18
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've converted my instructions to a basic text file for compatibility with just about anything

The Expert Mode steps enable Comfort Plus, the Basic Mode step is just to set the default start-up mode - so not required if you just want to try it occasionally.

The longest time is waiting for my OBD adapter to read & write the modules - the steps are quick & easy.

Regards, Mike.
Thank you Mike!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 03:34 AM   #19
Mjlbakker
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 G21 318i (in order) - 20

One noticeable difference in ID8 is the map in the instrument cluster now shows your route in blue and not grey.

Still no live traffic I think. That’s only in the central cluster and is green for good flow, orang and red depending on traffic.

It’s a small improvement.
      10-17-2023, 03:33 PM   #20
WernerM340IX
Rep
Drives: G21 M340IX 2023 LCI

Can anyone post a few pictures of the changes in the navi screen? And are there any other changes in both screens?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 04:40 PM   #21
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerM340IX View Post
Can anyone post a few pictures of the changes in the navi screen? And are there any other changes in both screens?
Thanks.

The most notable change is the font on the gauge display, it has that M4 space-age kind of vibe. It also no longer matches the original font which remains on the nav/entertainment screen which is kind of sloppy on BMW's part.

One can hypothesize that eventually we iDrive 8 owners will get a version of the nav/entertainment screen that has the toolbar with the shortcuts to heated seats like the iDrive 8.5 owners got, it's just a UI change, requires no special hardware. But it's BMW so who knows.
Appreciate 2
      10-17-2023, 04:55 PM   #22
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Is there a way to get a route preview when navigating on iD8?
Like a sidebar or something about distances and turns.
Appreciate 0