Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Different tread levels on xDrive tires?

04-04-2023, 07:52 PM   #1
dstingel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord

Different tread levels on xDrive tires?

Hoping for some clarification here. My vehicle is a 2022 330i xDrive with 16k miles. Right as I was leaving the house today I noticed a bubble in the front right tire. I have tire coverage that I’m sure will cover the bubbled tire.

My concern is will I need to also replace the other front tire, or possibly all 3 other tires to maintain even tread on all 4 and front to back. What is the tolerance between tires on a xDrive?

Of course I noticed this right as I was leaving the house this morning (in a different vehicle). Tomorrow I plan to check the other tires for wear and damage and evaluate options from there.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 09:25 PM   #2
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

BMW TIS has a spec in millimeters, and I think it’s no more than 2.5mm difference in tread depth between tires.

At 16k miles there should be no issue with replacing one tires unless you have been really driving aggressively. I had one Pirelli P7 replaced under the BMW tire and wheel insurance at about 30k miles and it was still within spec.

Your dealer may also be able to shave the new tire to match the wear on the other tires.
Appreciate 0