2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 330E Advice

08-19-2021, 05:48 AM   #1
Aaron187
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

330E Advice

Hey everyone!

Looking to maybe purchase a 330E at the moment, wanted to see if there's anything in particular to look out for and what the general consensus is..

I quite like the idea of having the hybrid option as work is only a 4 mile journey each way with free charging on site so thinking I could basically drive to work on the electric motor for free!

I'm currently in an F82 M4 but looking to get into something a bit more comfortable and with 4 doors and quite like the look of the G20 series

Thanks,
Aaron
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 05:50 AM   #2
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

G20 is four doors, G21 is the touring. If you can drive for free, as it seems you'd be able to, then sounds like a good plan.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 05:52 AM   #3
Aaron187
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
G20 is four doors, G21 is the touring. If you can drive for free, as it seems you'd be able to, then sounds like a good plan.
Hehe have amended to reflect the 4 doors, I quite like the interior too on the G Series. Definitely feels like a big step up from the Fxx series.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 06:00 AM   #4
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron187 View Post
Hehe have amended to reflect the 4 doors, I quite like the interior too on the G Series. Definitely feels like a big step up from the Fxx series.
Different league. The F3x was, frankly, shit IMO.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 06:32 AM   #5
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

I bought our 330e for similar reasons. Commute within battery range (just) and free charging at work. Not actually sat down and worked it out but think it's worked out well in terms of running costs. After nearly 7k miles I think we could probably count on our fingers the number of times we've put petrol in it.

A few quick things off top of my head.
  • Try not to fall into the trap of thinking all electric miles are free miles. Charging at home costs money, and kind of gets lost in the everyday home use mix. It will affect your leccy bill.
  • If you can, switch to an energy supplier that offers cheap overnight rates. I use Octopus Go and can charge my car almost within the 4 hour low cost window from a standard 13-pin charger. (takes about 5 hours). There's a link below if you are considering switching and we both get some credit.
  • I've personally not gone down the home charger point route yet. Too expensive for me at the moment. Looking at about 700 quid at least, and thats a lot of 13-pin plug charges! If you can charge overnight, and wont often need to charge more than once a day then maybe no need for one.
  • Do not believe the dealers/BMWs quoted battery range. On a good day you'll do around 25-30 miles on full charge. On a cold day with heaters etc on, it'll be more like 15-17. Should be fine with a 4 mile commute though
  • The app does a half decent job of controlling charging etc. The preconditioning is a major bonus too on a cold morning.
  • The boot is ridiculously small (on the saloon model anyway). If you often cart around pushchairs or golf clubs or holiday suitcases, you may want to check that it's suitable.
  • The petrol tank is pretty small too, so if you will end up doing a lot of ICE miles, then filling up may get a bit tedious.

The actual switch between battery and ICE is pretty seemless and you'll have to try hard to notice.
In Hybrid I think (from memory) it'll stay on battery until you either put your foot down hard, or go over 65mph (ish).
The regen obviously gives you a bit more battery range but not a great deal.

Last edited by willougs; 08-19-2021 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 6
      08-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #6
JM13RS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
I bought our 330e for similar reasons. Commute within battery range (just) and free charging at work. Not actually sat down and worked it out but think it's worked out well in terms of running costs. After nearly 7k miles I think we could probably count on our fingers the number of times we've put petrol in it.

A few quick things off top of my head.
  • Try not to fall into the trap of thinking all electric miles are free miles. Charging at home costs money, and kind of gets lost in the everyday home use mix. It will affect your leccy bill.
  • If you can switch to a energy supplier that offers cheap overnight rates. I use Octopus Go and can charge my car almost within the 4 hour low cost window from a standard 13-pin charger. (takes about 5 hours). There's a link below if you are considering switching and we both get some credit.
  • I've personally not gone down the home charger point route yet. Too expensive for me at the moment. Looking at about 700 quid at least, and thats a lot of 13-pin plug charges! If you can charge overnight, and wont often need to charge more than once a day then maybe no need for one.
  • Do not believe the dealers/BMWs battery range. On a good day you'll do around 25-30 miles on full charge. On a cold day with heaters etc on, it'll be more like 15-17. Should be fine with a 4 mile commute though
  • The app does a half decent job of controlling charging etc. The preconditioning is a major bonus too on a cold morning.

The actual switch between battery and ICE is pretty seemless and you'll have to try hard to notice.
In Hybrid I think (from memory) it'll stay on battery until you either put your foot down hard, or go over 65mph (ish).
The regen obviously gives you a bit more battery range but not a great deal.

Couldn't have put it better! Exactly how Will put it.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #7
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

I think Will has summed it pretty well.

In the last 1950 miles, I've done 1650 on electric. My range is around 20 miles if I use it as an EV (ie switch to Electric mode), and normally around 30-40 miles if you use it as a hybrid on a proper run somewhere.

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 10:17 AM   #8
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Quote:
Charging at home costs money
Unless you have solar panels and an intelligent charger, in which case charging at home can be totally free.
Appreciate 1
Jim_330e144.00
      08-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #9
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
Unless you have solar panels and an intelligent charger, in which case charging at home can be totally free.
I dont know much about solar, the install cost always seemed to be way and above what I'd spend in electricity for many many years (or at least for as long as I intended to stay in the same house). However that was before I bought the car.

Would we get enough decent daylight in this country all year round to fully charge the car daily (and continue to satisfy the house demands) for it to be "totally free"?
      08-19-2021, 10:59 AM   #10
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

I can certainly charge mine for free on a sunny day. (So not at all this summer!!!)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 11:15 AM   #11
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
I can certainly charge mine for free on a sunny day. (So not at all this summer!!!)
As well as run the demands of the house as well?
Thats pretty impressive.
      08-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #12
gavinwong
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
2020 G20 330e  [9.67]
Willougs has given you a decent overview.
I was on the fence between 330i and 330e before I pulled on the trigger on the hybrid set up.
Best way is to analyse your regular driving habits. If the 4 mile commute is the majority of your regular driving then it will definitely suit.
Even when there is no battery charge left, the consumption on the ICE I've gotten isn't too bad on long motorway journeys with adaptive cruise doing most of the work.
You can feel The extra weight of the batteries over some speed bumps (so maybe take them a bit slower). Steering isn't as nimble, but wouldn't say it's a game changer unless you're maybe on a track IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #13
Aaron187
Private
Rep

Thank you very much Willoughs, that was an amazing insight on what to expect so appreciate the time you took to write that.

It's looking quite promising so far, I'm going to look at a Portimao Blue one this weekend.

Any good optional extras to look out for? - So far I'm looking at one with HK Audio, Reversing Camera and potentially heated steering wheel if possible.

Also what's the performance like when in either full electric or just using ICE?

Thanks,
Aaron
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 01:33 PM   #14
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very much Willoughs, that was an amazing insight on what to expect so appreciate the time you took to write that.

It's looking quite promising so far, I'm going to look at a Portimao Blue one this weekend.

Any good optional extras to look out for? - So far I'm looking at one with HK Audio, Reversing Camera and potentially heated steering wheel if possible.

Also what's the performance like when in either full electric or just using ICE?

Thanks,
Aaron
I've got Comfort Plus and Tech Plus on mine and to be honest, both are good. BMW have a clever habit of designing these packages so that each has one or two "must haves". I didn't go for Visibility Pack as don't tend to drive much at night off motorways etc, and it was a bit pricey.

The driving aid stuff is useful. Active cruise etc I use almost every time I drive, especially through local roadworks on motorway as with the auto steering to the centre of the lane it's almost as if I didn't need to be there. Don't use the auto parking / reverse assistant hardly at all. Or Drive Recorder. Nice to have there if ever needed though.

I also went for sunroof and I use that loads.

Not too impressed with HK, but understand it's probably better than default. Comfort Access is nice but probably something I could easily live without.

Heated steering wheel is great. Never thought it was something I needed but probably wouldn't go back now.

Performance wise it's ok. Not going to set the world alight. Plenty fast enough for me though, but then I'm of an age where exhaust noise and 0-60s are less important. I'm more at home driving around in the electric silence. You'll notice the difference stepping down from M4 though
      08-19-2021, 02:14 PM   #15
Aaron187
Private
Rep

Quote:
I've got Comfort Plus and Tech Plus on mine and to be honest, both are good. BMW have a clever habit of designing these packages so that each has one or two "must haves". I didn't go for Visibility Pack as don't tend to drive much at night off motorways etc, and it was a bit pricey.

The driving aid stuff is useful. Active cruise etc I use almost every time I drive, especially through local roadworks on motorway as with the auto steering to the centre of the lane it's almost as if I didn't need to be there. Don't use the auto parking / reverse assistant hardly at all. Or Drive Recorder. Nice to have there if ever needed though.

Not too impressed with HK, but understand it's probably better than default. Comfort Access is nice but probably something I could easily live without.

Heated steering wheel is great. Never thought it was something I needed but probably wouldn't go back now.

Performance wise it's ok. Not going to set the world alight. Plenty fast enough for me though, but then I'm of an age where exhaust noise and 0-60s are less important. I'm more at home driving around in the electric silence. You'll notice the difference stepping down from M4 though
Yeah they definitely do it on purpose knowing people want bits from both packs. Likewise don't think I'd use any of the park assist stuff but the cruise control on the motorway would be nice for them long drives.

In the F82 the HK was a noticeable step-up, do you think it's less so on the G20 potentially?

I think I'm feeling the same, I love the M4 and it's been a dream for me to own but driving it daily it can be tiring with the suspension and road noise and sometimes the sound can get irritating as lets be honest and say it's not the best of sounding M cars and the pops and bangs get a bit much at times!

Recently had a test drive in a Model 3 and absolutely loved it but like the 330e as I get the option to fill up if needed for those emergency situations or super long drives but can use electric for the work journeys and around town.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 07:36 AM   #16
JM13RS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 Touring

Garage List
[QUOTE=Aaron187;27939236]Yeah they definitely do it on purpose knowing people want bits from both packs. Likewise don't think I'd use any of the park assist stuff but the cruise control on the motorway would be nice for them long drives.

In the F82 the HK was a noticeable step-up, do you think it's less so on the G20 potentially?

I think I'm feeling the same, I love the M4 and it's been a dream for me to own but driving it daily it can be tiring with the suspension and road noise and sometimes the sound can get irritating as lets be honest and say it's not the best of sounding M cars and the pops and bangs get a bit much at times!

Aaron,

330e is a great car, but I came down from an RS3 saloon & the performance is very underwhelming. If you are like me & fancy your perfomance you will be dissapointed with the 330e's. If you are coming from an M4, just watch out

Having said that DMS do offer a stage 1 remap for £800 which im tempted to do in the next few months. Wacks it upto 410 bhp.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 07:49 AM   #17
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah they definitely do it on purpose knowing people want bits from both packs. Likewise don't think I'd use any of the park assist stuff but the cruise control on the motorway would be nice for them long drives.

Recently had a test drive in a Model 3 and absolutely loved it but like the 330e as I get the option to fill up if needed for those emergency situations or super long drives but can use electric for the work journeys and around town.
If you're into your music, the HK is a must have. After running a G20 with it, and my best mate having one without it, the difference is huge.

You need to let it run in, and take the time to set the EQ up to your liking / music taste but then it will sound really decent.

The base system is woeful for anything other than just listening to the radio.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 08:11 AM   #18
gavinwong
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
2020 G20 330e  [9.67]
Quote:
Quote:

Same thinking I had. I can do most of the driving on electric and then petrol comes in handy for long journeys, and when charging is limited. In Italy at the minute and the public charging network is pretty much non existent. Worse then when I was in Manchester a few months back.
The driving assistant pro definitely came into its own on my Netherlands to Italy trip of 1200km. Pretty much supervising the car vs driving it. So worth the option if you're ever doing long journeys.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 07:50 AM   #19
marksandygill
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320d xDrive F22 M240i

Of all the BMW's I've had the 330e was the only one I really didn't want to hand back!

Just handed back a 320d with HK and the new 320d is the basic sound system, I really noticed the difference, especially at higher volumes it's much harsher!

I did a 150 mile trip in the 330e from Southampton to Cornwall and forgot to charge it, still managed around 45mpg so not too shabby at all

There's just something about the 330e, people would look at it as it set off in car parks in electric mode but when you floor it you still get a reasonable noise from the engine (well the speakers... )
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 12:36 PM   #20
Mugspence
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (G21) XdriveTouring

I love my 330e. Ive only done nearly 2000 miles and most of that has been return trips of 9 miles in fully electric mode. Never used the 292bhp - when/how would you? And ive just realised I've paid £50k for a 110bhp estate car!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 03:29 PM   #21
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugspence View Post
I love my 330e. Ive only done nearly 2000 miles and most of that has been return trips of 9 miles in fully electric mode. Never used the 292bhp - when/how would you? And ive just realised I've paid £50k for a 110bhp estate car!
If I head out of the city, I always have a blip in Xtraboost!

Had a run out with a 2019 Alpina B5 (the 600bhp one!) and he was very surprised by the 330e's performance. It shifts when you make it do so!

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 12:21 PM   #22
Matrixsenior
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

As I have said on here before and been lambasted for it , unless you are a company car buyer I cannot see the appeal/point. Small boot, small range which when it runs out you have a very heavy 320i. But as my wife tells me on a regular basis, what do I know?
Appreciate 1
B6WAF77.50