Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK BMW Map Update 2021 - 4

12-15-2021, 09:11 AM   #23
Geoff G20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i G20

Yes, don't know what the issue is but on my MacBook, (Newish, with M1 chip) BMW Download manager opens and then closes immediately. I found references to it online and tried the suggested fixes but it didn't change. I didn't pursue it further as I expect to be upgraded before the next map update anyway - and it worked on the other MacBook so it didn't matter.

I think that because I left it downloading overnight I forgot about the unzipping and kept trying to copy the whole file onto a USB stick - Doh!

I just think there is a bit of a leap of faith in the BMW instructions between starting the download and ending up with the correct data on the USB stick https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/topics/owne...p-updates.html. Fine if you have done it before but not 'totally' explanatory for beginners. And by next time I will have forgotten it all. Its an age thing!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 02:20 PM   #24
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
It does take a lot of memory though and it didn't delete the file on my MacBook so had to search for it.
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 01:16 PM   #25
Paul D3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff G20 View Post
Yes, don't know what the issue is but on my MacBook, (Newish, with M1 chip) BMW Download manager opens and then closes immediately. I found references to it online and tried the suggested fixes but it didn't change. I didn't pursue it further as I expect to be upgraded before the next map update anyway - and it worked on the other MacBook so it didn't matter.

I think that because I left it downloading overnight I forgot about the unzipping and kept trying to copy the whole file onto a USB stick - Doh!

I just think there is a bit of a leap of faith in the BMW instructions between starting the download and ending up with the correct data on the USB stick https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/topics/owne...p-updates.html. Fine if you have done it before but not 'totally' explanatory for beginners. And by next time I will have forgotten it all. Its an age thing!
The M1 chips uses a different instruction set to Intel based macs. BMW would need to write a specific version to work with that chip. Lots of software now has two download options for Macs to cater for the different chips.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 03:29 PM   #26
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D3 View Post
The M1 chips uses a different instruction set to Intel based macs. BMW would need to write a specific version to work with that chip. Lots of software now has two download options for Macs to cater for the different chips.
M1 Macs run Intel apps just fine using Rosetta2. An Apple silicon version would be nice, but certainly isn’t needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 03:42 PM   #27
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Why would they need to write a different version? It’s not written in assembler so the target processor instruction set is irrelevant. They would just need to compile the source code (whether that’s in C++, C#, whatever) with the target set for the M1 instruction set. It would just be a different compiled object code; the source code would be identical.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 02:01 AM   #28
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

BMW Download Manager is a java app using JWrapper. They possibly haven't sorted full Apple M1 compatibility issues. There have been java issues reported with Download Manager in the past on MacOS so the issue is possibly outside BMW's control.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 03:54 AM   #29
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

BMW Download Manager runs just fine on an M1 Mac. (Well, as fine as it ever was - it's a bit clunky).

The mistake people often make is setting their USB stick as the download location. You need to let it download the files to your hard drive and then unzip them onto the USB stick.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 01:22 PM   #30
Paul D3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Why would they need to write a different version? It’s not written in assembler so the target processor instruction set is irrelevant. They would just need to compile the source code (whether that’s in C++, C#, whatever) with the target set for the M1 instruction set. It would just be a different compiled object code; the source code would be identical.
I appreciate what you’re saying but it becomes a different version, ie not the exactly the same as the original.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #31
tcc1222
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d G20

Dear All,

I am just wondering for those who have updated Map to the latest Europe 2021-4 version.

Does your Map version still show the GB regional version on the screen or the GB regional map is no longer shown.

Can you share a photo of their map version shown on the iDrive screen after updating to Europe 2021-4?

Much appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 05:21 AM   #32
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcc1222 View Post
Dear All,

I am just wondering for those who have updated Map to the latest Europe 2021-4 version.

Does your Map version still show the GB regional version on the screen or the GB regional map is no longer shown.

Can you share a photo of their map version shown on the iDrive screen after updating to Europe 2021-4?

Much appreciated...
A full USB upload will overwrite the regional OTA element so you will no longer see that listed on the screen.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 05:55 AM   #33
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcc1222 View Post
Dear All,

Much appreciated...
Not greatest picture, but hopefully what you were after... (recently updated via USB)
Attached Images

12-18-2021, 08:04 AM   #34
xenon
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D3 View Post
I appreciate what you’re saying but it becomes a different version, ie not the exactly the same as the original.
No, it doesn’t. The source code is identical, whatever platform it is compiled for. Of course, the compiled executable is obviously different but the source program is identical. You don’t need to write a different version for a different platform; you simply compile the exact same code but with the different platform(s) as the target.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #35
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Except in this case it's a wrapped java program and it's not compiled in the traditional 3G language sense to an executable, but it's optionally compiled to bytecode in advance and interpreted at run time

Last edited by 4monks; 12-18-2021 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 05:43 PM   #36
tcc1222
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
Not greatest picture, but hopefully what you were after... (recently updated via USB)
Many thanks for sharing photo of Map version after updated to Europe 2021-4...It seems the regional maps are emerged into the entire Europe map package...so, no more individual regional map nor regional map OTA update...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 01:22 AM   #37
xenon
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4monks View Post
Except in this case it's a wrapped java program and it's not compiled in the traditional 3G language sense to an executable, but it's optionally compiled to bytecode in advance and interpreted at run time
Yes if that’s the architecture of this particular app but the point remains that the author does not need to create a different version.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 02:22 AM   #38
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Yes if that’s the architecture of this particular app but the point remains that the author does not need to create a different version.
In java, they don't need to worry so much, but in C/C++, it is messy if not running under an emulator on MacOS (being a UNIX derivative) as there are some fundamental differences in coding between MacOS and Windows - APIs, directory structures etc. So in fact, they do have to create two versions of the code using compiler directives to cater for the different OS architectures. So the point is, it's not simply a case of writing a C++ program on Windows and then recompiling on MacOS or vice versa - you would have write two variants of code with plenty of #ifdef _WIN64 and __APPLE__ etc directives within the program.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 03:19 AM   #39
stuarttunstall
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I have noticed that since the last update the notification I used to get to say "dangerous bend" on part of my route between work and home has disappeared..

Used to come on about 2 miles before a 90 degree bend in the road..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 06:43 AM   #40
xenon
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4monks View Post
In java, they don't need to worry so much, but in C/C++, it is messy if not running under an emulator on MacOS (being a UNIX derivative) as there are some fundamental differences in coding between MacOS and Windows - APIs, directory structures etc. So in fact, they do have to create two versions of the code using compiler directives to cater for the different OS architectures. So the point is, it's not simply a case of writing a C++ program on Windows and then recompiling on MacOS or vice versa - you would have write two variants of code with plenty of #ifdef _WIN64 and __APPLE__ etc directives within the program.
We’re drifting way off topic here 😆
Nevertheless, couldn’t it still be the same if the compiler directives are included for both targets?
Anyway I assumed most people run a windows emulator? I don’t know as I don’t have a Mac.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #41
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Mine just updated OTA
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 08:49 AM   #42
stuarttunstall
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Have to love the update

If I set it from work to home, rather than the 18 mile direct route it takes me 31 miles ... completely missing a straight main road!

It even takes me on part of the road, turns me off for 20 miles and rejoins it
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #43
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarttunstall View Post
Have to love the update

If I set it from work to home, rather than the 18 mile direct route it takes me 31 miles ... completely missing a straight main road!

It even takes me on part of the road, turns me off for 20 miles and rejoins it
Sounds like it was trying to route round a traffic problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 10:27 AM   #44
stuarttunstall
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
Sounds like it was trying to route round a traffic problem.
Possibly, it does show a road works symbol but they are not causing any issues

** UPDATE **

Tonight it has worked OK lol

Last edited by stuarttunstall; 12-29-2021 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0