Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Pixel 6 (Pro) and the wireless charging pad

01-29-2022, 01:51 PM   #1
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 (E89) sDrive 35is

Pixel 6 (Pro) and the wireless charging pad

Hello,

I am surprised I haven't found a thread about this yet, given how popular the Google Pixel 6 is. Maybe I haven't searched correctly...

Any Pixel 6 users here? How did you solve that the phone doesn't get enough contact with the wireless charging pad due to the large camera bump?

There is too much air between the two because the phone doesn't lay flat. I can neither charge, nor can I get it to connect to perform the digital key pairing with the car.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 07:35 PM   #2
Nai1ZuTe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

Hmmm it's working for me on pixel 6 pro with a case. Definitely a sluggish fit compared to my previous phone but it still fits the wireless charging compartment?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 05:39 AM   #3
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nai1ZuTe View Post
Hmmm it's working for me on pixel 6 pro with a case. Definitely a sluggish fit compared to my previous phone but it still fits the wireless charging compartment?
Oh, it fits alright (without a case), but due to the enormous camera bumb, it doesn't lay flat on the surface, so it doesn't get contact. Wireless charging does not trigger at all.

I guess a case balances it out a bit. Which case are you using, if I may ask?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 07:23 AM   #4
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

Have you been able to verify that charging works with another mobile (model)?
Do your mobile wireless charging and NFC work with other chargers and NFC interfaces?

I don't know how you can be sure that the distance is the problem if the same model with a case works. I have a Pixel 4 (with only a small protruding camera) but I have put a rubber mat in the charger compartment, to keep the mobile centered (also when I get inspired). I the phone is not fairly centered it doesn't charge. I haven't measured the thickness exactly but I thinks it's 2-3mm and that gap also works. How wide is you phone, can you still see the (blue) indicator diode or is it covered by the phone? If it turns red it indicates an error.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 09:03 AM   #5
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G22b58 View Post
Have you been able to verify that charging works with another mobile (model)?
Do your mobile wireless charging and NFC work with other chargers and NFC interfaces?
Yes, of course. My Pixel 4 XL charges without problem and the digital key card has no issue connecting via NFT. The wireless charging pad in the car is not the problem. It works perfectly fine.

Quote:
I don't know how you can be sure that the distance is the problem if the same model with a case works.
Because it is the most obvious explanation for the issue. I am not sure if you've held a Pixel 6 in your hands yet. If you put it on a desk, the camera bumb elevates one side of the phone, leaving a gap between the phone and the desk surface. The Pixel 6 only touches the surface with its camera bumb and the opposite side lower edge. Everything in between does not touch the surface, and that's precisely the area where the wireless charging coils are located in the phone.

Why it would work with a case? Most cases for the Pixel 6 even out the back of the phone to a certain extent, allowing for more surface area to get contact with the surface you put it on.

Quote:
How wide is you phone, can you still see the (blue) indicator diode or is it covered by the phone? If it turns red it indicates an error.
The light doesn't come on at all. Neither blue, nor red.

BTW: The P6 charges perfectly fine on the Pixel Charging Stand, so it isn't the phone either (the charging stand's surface doesn't extend up the the camera bumb, so it has full contact with the phone).

This leaves only one explanation for the problem: There isn't enough surface contact between the phone and the charging pad.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 09:12 AM   #6
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max, so also have the issue you do with a huge camera bump. I’ve noticed that I have to wiggle it in just the right spot to get it to work, and it’ll shift off that spot when driving on occasion. I know this doesn’t solve your problem, but just want to point out that it’s finicky on getting it to align right.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 09:21 AM   #7
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Yea, thanks for that. I tried everything. Wiggling, pressing down, shifting to different positions, turning it upside down... to no avail. I think this is a design flaw in the Pixel 6. I've read on Tesla forum that many people there have the exact same issue.

I hate to put cases on my phones, but it looks like there is no other way to get around this. Annoying....
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 10:24 AM   #8
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

Does a case somehow help with the magnetic properties? Otherwise it only makes the gap larger.
The gap would be more constant but if that helps it should be possible to simulate that by putting something under the "non protruding" area on the charger.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 11:58 AM   #9
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Yes, I think these cases are made of conductive material, so charging works through them.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 02:32 PM   #10
Nai1ZuTe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
Oh, it fits alright (without a case), but due to the enormous camera bumb, it doesn't lay flat on the surface, so it doesn't get contact. Wireless charging does not trigger at all.

I guess a case balances it out a bit. Which case are you using, if I may ask?
I use spigen liquid air but pretty sure it's being charged without the case. I think you are right that the case balances out the camera bump
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 02:37 PM   #11
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nai1ZuTe View Post
I use spigen liquid air but pretty sure it's being charged without the case. I think you are right that the case balances out the camera bump
Thanks, I am going to give that one a try
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 03:38 AM   #12
bandjay04
France
Rep
Drives: Jaguar

If you did have a charging problem then I suggest to Troubleshoot with advanced steps
  • Unplug the cable from the power charger.
  • Check that your computer is on and connected to a power source.
  • Connect your phone to your computer's USB port with the cable that came with your phone.
  • Wait 10–15 minutes.
  • Disconnect and reconnect the cable from your phone within 10 seconds

And If with Pixel 6 you cannot perform the digital key pairing with the car then I suggest checking with your car manufacturer for more info.
      02-04-2022, 01:22 AM   #13
niloch
Rep
Drives: Deposit on BMW 330e

Are you guys actually having success with the wireless charger charging your pixels? I had the 4XL and now the Pro, the charging light goes on and will charge for maybe 20-30 minutes but at best it maintains the charge or slows down the discharge, but never seems to charge it much. This seems to be a common complaint on the wireless charger (across all phones)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 05:08 AM   #14
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niloch View Post
Are you guys actually having success with the wireless charger charging your pixels? I had the 4XL and now the Pro, the charging light goes on and will charge for maybe 20-30 minutes but at best it maintains the charge or slows down the discharge, but never seems to charge it much. This seems to be a common complaint on the wireless charger (across all phones)
Yes, wireless charging works perfectly fine on both my 4XL and the 6 Pro. Except: The 6 Pro doesn't charge on the car's wireless charging pad.

Tried with a case now, which doesn't work either (blue light sometimes comes on for about 5 seconds and then turns off).
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 07:35 PM   #15
kennyshi
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I have the same problem with pixel 6 pro and g05. Once, I managed to place the pixel upside down (the camera bump overhang outside the charging area, on top of the cupholder), and wiggle the phone to find the sweet spot. But I'm not successful everytime. It's not worth the trouble, so I just use a USB cable to charge. It's an awfully design of the camera bump.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2022, 11:22 AM   #16
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I gave up using the wireless charger last year. It was too slow and unreliable.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 06:05 PM   #17
nicknz
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Same situation, and frustratingly I bought a pixel 6 just for the wireless charging and digital key!

Stumbled across a strange way to get it to working however. Place the phone in the tray, place your finger at the camera end and slightly lift so that it is tilting (even moreso than with the camera bump), light comes on, drop phone in that position. The light stays on and charging occurs.

Admittedly a bit finicky and agree the design is ludicrous, but a working solution none the less.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 07:30 PM   #18
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknz View Post
Same situation, and frustratingly I bought a pixel 6 just for the wireless charging and digital key!

Stumbled across a strange way to get it to working however. Place the phone in the tray, place your finger at the camera end and slightly lift so that it is tilting (even moreso than with the camera bump), light comes on, drop phone in that position. The light stays on and charging occurs.

Admittedly a bit finicky and agree the design is ludicrous, but a working solution none the less.
Hey... that's interesting. I am going to give that a shot. Does it matter which side the camera bump is ponting (left end of the craddle or right end)?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 08:05 PM   #19
nicknz
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Quote:
Hey... that's interesting. I am going to give that a shot. Does it matter which side the camera bump is ponting (left end of the craddle or right end)?
Just tried and no, either way and actually holding up either end of the phone works too, you just need to wait till the phone shows it's charging (about one second), then let it go. Works solid once that's happened.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2022, 10:30 PM   #20
Bheemer
Registered
Rep
Drives: a X5 sDrive40i

Quote:
Hello,

I am surprised I haven't found a thread about this yet, given how popular the Google Pixel 6 is. Maybe I haven't searched correctly...

Any Pixel 6 users here? How did you solve that the phone doesn't get enough contact with the wireless charging pad due to the large camera bump?

There is too much air between the two because the phone doesn't lay flat. I can neither charge, nor can I get it to connect to perform the digital key pairing with the car.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Hi.. I got my new X5 and I have a pixel 6 pro. Keeping the phone in reverse(top of phone facing me) and the camera bump overhand a little into the cup holder.. Then it charges and I could setup the digital key..

It's not ideal.. But works..

Regards
Bheemer
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 04:35 AM   #21
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

I have found a very good solution for me by now. I am using Peak Design's Pixel 6 phone case, which more or less makes the Pixel compatible with Apple's Magsafe ecosystem. It has a magnet in the back, just like the iPhone. The case also evens out the camera bump. This allows for perfect contact with the car's charging pad. Works like a champ.

The Peak Design case is very good, has an entire accessory ecosystem, things like desktop wireless charging stands, bicycle mount and more. Highly recommended:

https://www.peakdesign.com/pages/mobile
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2022, 05:28 AM   #22
coolstudude
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknz View Post
Just tried and no, either way and actually holding up either end of the phone works too, you just need to wait till the phone shows it's charging (about one second), then let it go. Works solid once that's happened.
I tried this and it miraculously worked, but then it disconnected again a little later, so unfortunately not the finicky panacea I was hoping for.
Appreciate 0