Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Question re: drive modes

04-09-2024, 04:05 AM   #1
alFR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Question re: drive modes

Unlike my previous car (Audi A4) where if I engaged Dynamic mode it would switch everything to dynamic (suspension firmer, steering heavier, gearbox into S, throttle response sharper) when I put my 340i into Sport or Sport+ the gearbox stays in D. The manual is pretty vague about what exactly is happening when you change modes but in the section on "Driving Experience Control" (p145) it implies that there is some effect on the drivetrain, at least in Sport+:

Quote:
SPORT
The SPORT drive mode is a dynamic setting for greater agility with an optimised suspension.
SPORT PLUS
The SPORT PLUS drive mode is a dynamic setting for maximum agility with an adapted drivetrain.
Yet in the section on "Steptronic transmission" (p139) it reads as though changing the drivetrain characteristics is done through the gear selector:

Quote:
Sport programme S
Principle
In the Sport programme, the gear shift points and gear shift times are configured for more sporty driving. For example, the transmission shifts up later and the gearshift times are shorter.
although it seems as if the car holds lower gears longer when in Sport or Sport+ even though the gearbox is still in D.

I can't find a good description anywhere online of what settings change in the different drive modes and what exactly the interaction is between them and selecting D or S on the gear selector. Does anyone have a link to one? Or know enough about it to explain?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 06:00 AM   #2
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

There's a small and slightly blurry image I have bookmarked at https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1427641065 that explains the modes and gearing for the previous gen, I would assume that the G20 would be broadly similar

Edit: found a better image after some reverse image searching: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=68):
Appreciate 2
alFR49.00
      04-09-2024, 08:20 AM   #3
alFR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for - even if it's not exactly the same should be close enough to get a handle on it. Bit odd there seems to be nothing similar but official from BMW out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 01:17 PM   #4
Carl99
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport G20 06/19

This is very useful - thank you.

I think the G20 also has "sailing" in Comfort mode?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 02:04 AM   #5
Arthur55
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport touring

That's very interesting.......

Was this created by the original poster on that thread?
Appreciate 0