Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals 2020 BMW M340i Makes World Debut at LA Auto Show

11-29-2018, 03:26 PM   #243
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayers1997 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Looks just as bad as the rest of the G20s. Take the grill off and nobody could tell this is a BMW
Not true -

A real bmw fan would see that the lights are a modern twist on what they did on the e46 and the bumpers have the same design language as every other m sport bumper
They follow the design language of the new accord and a Lexus is with the f sport shit
You can be as stubborn as you want but that's just not true.
its doesnt look clearly like a BMW. Without the grille, there are multiple cars it would be confused for. the general consensus is that this car doesnt look very bmw. and that fucking interior is ridiculous, the gear lever is terrible, and they literally just blacked our 40% of the I drive screen from the new x5 and called it a day
Again, be as stubborn as you want but as I stated there are other things in the design language that are clearly bmw. The comments about the interior are just you looking for other things to complain about.

Also if you're screen name means you were born in 1997 - this car wasn't designed with 21 year olds in mind
You're right. it was designed for the 40 and 50 year olds that couldnt quite achieve the M3 they dreamed about, so they get the "just about an m3"

You probably make a bunch of assumptions based on my age that couldnt be farther from the truth. the way you say the car isnt made for 21 year olds implies that it's above them or something..... in reality I've already passed the 340 ever being a car for me. when my f80 starts to show its age, I'll get an F90 M5 instead, since the new 3 series is ghastly to look at
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Looks just as bad as the rest of the G20s. Take the grill off and nobody could tell this is a BMW
Not true -

A real bmw fan would see that the lights are a modern twist on what they did on the e46 and the bumpers have the same design language as every other m sport bumper
They follow the design language of the new accord and a Lexus is with the f sport shit
its doesnt look clearly like a BMW. Without the grille, there are multiple cars it would be confused for. the general consensus is that this car doesnt look very bmw. and that fucking interior is ridiculous, the gear lever is terrible, and they literally just blacked our 40% of the I drive screen from the new x5 and called it a day
Again, be as stubborn as you want but as I stated there are other things in the design language that are clearly bmw. The comments about the interior are just you looking for other things to complain about.

Also if you're screen name means you were born in 1997 - this car wasn't designed with 21 year olds in mind
You're right. it was designed for the 40 and 50 year olds that couldnt quite achieve the M3 they dreamed about, so they get the "just about an m3"

You probably make a bunch of assumptions based on my age that couldnt be farther from the truth. the way you say the car isnt made for 21 year olds implies that it's above them or something..... in reality I've already passed the 340 ever being a car for me. when my f80 starts to show its age, I'll get an F90 M5 instead, since the new 3 series is ghastly to look at
Huh, I drove an e46 m3 10 years ago. Why can't I drive a 340 now? I'm confused by this post
      11-29-2018, 03:55 PM   #244
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
So much hate for the new 3. Nothing new, anything BMW comes up with it´s basically hate everywhere, specially the Kia comments.
And about the grille, anyone remember the awful E90 pre LCI?
I have driven BMW for 25 years, startet with a E30, and have owned every 3 serie model since then, with the exception of the F30. I think the G20 is close to being a new E46, my favorite 3 series ever. Why i make this statement?
Well, it comes with more tech than the new 5 series, it´s seems like they have really done everything they could to make it the best 3 series possible. Inside is clean, and i think the touring and 4 series will look amazing. The interior quality seems better as well.
I think the G20 will be a success.
If the "perfect" E46 was almost twice the size
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 04:28 PM   #245
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not true -

Lol you're one lucky kid!
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 2
praxis218823.50
tonymac1461.00
      11-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #246
darkbro66
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 SO/CB M3

The more I see of these, the more I think I am just getting another F80... at least I'll save money!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 05:14 PM   #247
laidback93
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 1990 325is

I could maybe look past the horrendous grill and the Lexus rear end styling, but the new digital gauge cluster just kills it for me.

I get that the iPad esque look sells cars now I guess, but damn BMW. I'll miss those classic orange analog (semi) gauges.

Wish there was an option to retain the analog.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #248
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
We shouldn't be placed in a position to be so motivated to get rid of something so freaking ugly on what's supposed to be our passion and joy to own.
This is also my opinion. A vehicle should be desired, not accepted and invest money later just to bring it to a certain level of visual decency.

I am in the same boat in regards with BMW: design wise is not a success, they got expensive in price, yet very cheap in materials.
Luxury means leather, cushy materials, no crickets, reliability, choice of customization and for Gods Sake colors. Inside colors, outside colors and between. White, black, silver, and blue and other blues are overly played.
Pretty sad, not to mention after my engine blowing up at 80,000 km, I am slowly realizing that BMW is not what use to be.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2018, 06:02 PM   #249
BLU135i
Senior Chief Petty Officer USN
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
I went to Dubai years ago and the grille reminds me of this:

Ohhh. Been there!!! Right near the big fish tank!!
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2018, 10:36 PM   #250
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
I find myself underwhelmed by this car.

I don't even like starting off this sentence with, I remember when the E46 came out, I was fawning at how perfect that car looked. Everything since then has been, eh. Almost every car is meh. They aren't making cars anymore that I want to print out posters and hang on my wall.

I'm going to stick with the oldies. Or move on to a Porsche.
      11-29-2018, 10:39 PM   #251
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

The video is in Mandarin, but gives some really nice close-ups and angles that haven't been shown before. I think it will look pretty handsome in real life. His commentary is actually really good.

Last edited by praxis218; 11-29-2018 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2018, 12:13 AM   #252
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
pffftt. Audi interiors are fucking GARBAGE. Their infotainment system makes CUE look ingenious, and the seats feel like wooden boards with leather strapped on
Have you owned a new generation Audi? The MMI system is literally a copy of iDrive. Also the diamond stitched leather in the A4/A5 is leaps and bounds ahead of BMW's plain boring seats. The new gen 3 brings BMW A LOT closer to Audi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.

Last edited by The Automotive Enthusiast; 11-30-2018 at 12:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 12:20 AM   #253
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

What really grinds my gears about Audi interiors though is the cheap plastic they use for the steering wheel buttons that control radio and the digital dash. The second thing that grind my gears are the cheap plastic speaker grilles. It's really annoying having the same plastic speaker covers that VW uses in their $18,000 and have Audi use it in their $70,000 car.

Did I mention 58% of the weight of the car is over the front wheels and the car plows like a cow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 12:40 AM   #254
Rayers1997
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not true -

Lol you're one lucky kid!
luck had nothing to do with it
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 04:48 AM   #255
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidback93 View Post
I could maybe look past the horrendous grill and the Lexus rear end styling, but the new digital gauge cluster just kills it for me.

I get that the iPad esque look sells cars now I guess, but damn BMW. I'll miss those classic orange analog (semi) gauges.

Wish there was an option to retain the analog.
There is:

Appreciate 4
      11-30-2018, 07:02 AM   #256
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
3-er has always had its own identity. Now it just looks like "I couldn't afford a 5 series let alone m5 so I got this instead"
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
3-er have always had its own identity. Now it just looks like "I couldn't afford a 5 series let alone m5 so I got this instead"
This.... the 3 is now just a 5 lite. Same way the 5 is a 7 lite, but at least the 7 is an in no way desirable car that sells poorly

Uh, no.

The Bangle series of cars (e90.e60.etc) broke with that tradition but whatever.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 07:03 AM   #257
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
Looks like 2 cutouts for other optional buttons but they just ran out of stuff to add to it
I need more electronic shit that adds buttons and luxury. I also need a manual transmission and a naturally aspirated 6 pot that burbles and does 18 mpg, and also a kerb weight of 2,800 lb. I also demand pelmet lighting like a new-build kitchen unit and a leather dash. Did I tell you I was an enthusiast? Because of the manual transmission thing. Hey, it’s a shibboleth...
So true. ROFL.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 07:08 AM   #258
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
I just watched the video with the German presenter. The car looks better in the video than in the pictures. I still think that kidney design is awful / oversized but if they have a black vertical slatted option like what was photoshopped here it'll look better. I'm not sure if you guys noticed but the center of the front end protrudes quite a bit when you look at it from the side as well.

Does anyone else find the car overall looks massive?
Attached Images

11-30-2018, 07:23 AM   #259
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Jason, could this be the first time locking one of your own threads due to the relentless negativity of this BMW model? Unprecedented perhaps.

That said, the car is an eyesore. Initial reviews say it's a dynamically better driver's car than the F30; BMW regained its mojo. It better drive like a Porsche or I can see another generational step-back.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 07:30 AM   #260
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Jason, could this be the first time locking one of your own threads due to the relentless negativity of this BMW model? Unprecedented perhaps.

That said, the car is an eyesore. Initial reviews say it's a dynamically better driver's car than the F30; BMW regained its mojo
I don't really think the majority here give a fuck about that. This car has been judged, sentenced, hanged, drawn and quartered and the body parts dissolved in acid.

Probably time to close this sub-forum as it's clear the number of people who like this car, want it to exist, even want other people to have it as a choice, is down in the single figures.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 07:49 AM   #261
JJSchmooze
I'm on that Orange Crush
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe VOP ZCV ZPP

They should "lock" this thread for sure. I believe it to be proof that BMW has lost it's way. Every model tries to further distance itself from what makes a BMW a BMW.

To each their own. I'm not gonna tell everyone on here that they have to hate it, but not even a troll can argue with the fact that this model shares more things that are unlike BMW than things that are.

IMO- that gauge cluster is Chevrolet-esque. (As I vomited a little in my mouth)

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.” Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 08:03 AM   #262
JJSchmooze
I'm on that Orange Crush
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe VOP ZCV ZPP

No "trapezoidal-douche" cluster here. Idk, just seems nail the concept of keeping the soul of the car alive to me.

2020 Carrera gauge cluster:
Attached Images

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.” Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 08:11 AM   #263
M3Dreams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83,F30340,E82135,E90M3,E46330

I am the biggest fanboi of BMW, and after owning 3, I will be in my last BMW which is the M2CS. BMW has lost their mojo. I just have to admit it.

Meanwhile at Audi, I have found my first Audi, the Etron GT. That is how you design a modern car. It may not have the driving dynamics but I don't expect much from EVs anyway but at least I will be turning around multiple times as I park and walk away from it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #264
danfratamico
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
In depth tour of the M340i at the LA auto show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGVJf4IOS50
Appreciate 0