Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals 2020 BMW M340i Makes World Debut at LA Auto Show

11-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #265
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

There is so much to like here if I never look at the front end. Every other aspect - interior, sides, rear - looks cleaner and more modern than the F30, but the front is a tortured mess of extra lines and textures.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #266
laidback93
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 1990 325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
There is:

Oh thank God!

Thanks for posting this. I didn't know it was possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 10:40 AM   #267
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfratamico View Post
In depth tour of the M340i at the LA auto show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGVJf4IOS50
Uh, at 4:42 - so it seems it does have fake exhausts after all?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 12:35 PM   #268
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

headlight notches 👎🏼
lexus taillights 👎🏼
weird bumper lines leading to ugly headlight notches 👎🏼

NAV screen that doesn't look like and ipad stuck to the dash 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #269
Rayers1997
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayers1997 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Looks just as bad as the rest of the G20s. Take the grill off and nobody could tell this is a BMW
Not true -

A real bmw fan would see that the lights are a modern twist on what they did on the e46 and the bumpers have the same design language as every other m sport bumper
They follow the design language of the new accord and a Lexus is with the f sport shit
You can be as stubborn as you want but that's just not true.
its doesnt look clearly like a BMW. Without the grille, there are multiple cars it would be confused for. the general consensus is that this car doesnt look very bmw. and that fucking interior is ridiculous, the gear lever is terrible, and they literally just blacked our 40% of the I drive screen from the new x5 and called it a day
Again, be as stubborn as you want but as I stated there are other things in the design language that are clearly bmw. The comments about the interior are just you looking for other things to complain about.

Also if you're screen name means you were born in 1997 - this car wasn't designed with 21 year olds in mind
You're right. it was designed for the 40 and 50 year olds that couldnt quite achieve the M3 they dreamed about, so they get the "just about an m3"

You probably make a bunch of assumptions based on my age that couldnt be farther from the truth. the way you say the car isnt made for 21 year olds implies that it's above them or something..... in reality I've already passed the 340 ever being a car for me. when my f80 starts to show its age, I'll get an F90 M5 instead, since the new 3 series is ghastly to look at
What a foolish comment. Everyone knows that it's silly to own an M3 if they have no intentions of ever tracking the car.
I mean I guess if drastically improved handling and as acceleration isnt something you care about in your vehicle. I have an e36 for the race track, my F80 is my daily, and it does quite literally everything better than my f30. It looks better, it's faster, it stops better, it has better headlights, it turns better, it slides better, it does burnouts better, it roll races better. Saying an M3 is foolish if you arent tracking it is foolish, as an M3 is simply a top trim 3. Everything the normal 3 series can do, an M3 can do better, including ride quality
But a M3 is built with tracking in mind. Why don't you track it? I could've bought a M3 (F or E series) but it's a waste of $$ for what I need. Who cares if it's the top trim for a 3 series. That performance isn't being used 99% of the time I'm on the street. Seriously, there's nothing is more saddening than seeing a M3 as a commuter car that never gets its legs stretched. What's the f-ng point? Surely it's not vanity or self-identification. :
"never gets its legs stretched"

my car tops out at 192 miles per hour. I know that because I take it to a local private air strip quite often.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:23 PM   #270
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidback93 View Post
Oh thank God!

Thanks for posting this. I didn't know it was possible.
The internet is brilliant at allowing one to pick one’s favourite disinformation and perpetuate it in order to suit agenda and minimise cognitive dissonance. Therefore perhaps it isn’t this car that’s a load of shit (on the basis of NO ONE here having driven it), but, basically, the forum itself?
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #271
R N M
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
But a M3 is built with tracking in mind. Why don't you track it? I could've bought a M3 (F or E series) but it's a waste of $$ for what I need. Who cares if it's the top trim for a 3 series. That performance isn't being used 99% of the time I'm on the street. Seriously, there's nothing is more saddening than seeing a M3 as a commuter car that never gets its legs stretched. What's the f-ng point? Surely it's not vanity or self-identification. :
99% of people dont track their M3 because its a car that costs on average $75-85k. If someone crashes into you or you lose control then you are SOL.

If you think you can’t have fun with an M3 by just driving on backroads or in just everyday manner then you obviously never driven one.
Appreciate 2
No Boost4019.00
Miko M6648.50
      11-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #272
R N M
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
This new G20 M340i has INCREDIBLE SPECS! I also really like the interior changes.

Exterior is a different story.
- The grille is hideous but technically could be replaced to Mperformance?
- The silver uneven air inlets in lower front bumper are also hideous. I’m sure IND will have a fix.
- Tailights and the whole rear are very derivative of Lexus IS and part Cclass. Really nothing about it has BMW heritage styling.
- Side character line no longer goes through door handles!!! This has been a BMW hallmark forever that every other automaker copies and now they no longer use it? HUGE disappointment. New side body line reminds me of Infiniti Q50.

Overall i wish BMW did a better job.
Can’t they just hire some Porsche designers? Every single new Porsche design is a homerun.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:53 PM   #273
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Looks just as bad as the rest of the G20s. Take the grill off and nobody could tell this is a BMW
Not true -

A real bmw fan would see that the lights are a modern twist on what they did on the e46 and the bumpers have the same design language as every other m sport bumper
They follow the design language of the new accord and a Lexus is with the f sport shit
its doesnt look clearly like a BMW. Without the grille, there are multiple cars it would be confused for. the general consensus is that this car doesnt look very bmw. and that fucking interior is ridiculous, the gear lever is terrible, and they literally just blacked our 40% of the I drive screen from the new x5 and called it a day
Again, be as stubborn as you want but as I stated there are other things in the design language that are clearly bmw. The comments about the interior are just you looking for other things to complain about.

Also if you're screen name means you were born in 1997 - this car wasn't designed with 21 year olds in mind
You're right. it was designed for the 40 and 50 year olds that couldnt quite achieve the M3 they dreamed about, so they get the "just about an m3"

You probably make a bunch of assumptions based on my age that couldnt be farther from the truth. the way you say the car isnt made for 21 year olds implies that it's above them or something..... in reality I've already passed the 340 ever being a car for me. when my f80 starts to show its age, I'll get an F90 M5 instead, since the new 3 series is ghastly to look at
What a foolish comment. Everyone knows that it's silly to own an M3 if they have no intentions of ever tracking the car.
I mean I guess if drastically improved handling and as acceleration isnt something you care about in your vehicle. I have an e36 for the race track, my F80 is my daily, and it does quite literally everything better than my f30. It looks better, it's faster, it stops better, it has better headlights, it turns better, it slides better, it does burnouts better, it roll races better. Saying an M3 is foolish if you arent tracking it is foolish, as an M3 is simply a top trim 3. Everything the normal 3 series can do, an M3 can do better, including ride quality
your way of thinking makes me sad. the car gets to drive, I live in the mountains. I dont track it because track driving bores me when I could go carving through forest roads. people buy the cars they like. I hate the way the non M 3 series looks this generation, so it was either the M3 or a 5 series, and I prefer speed, so I got the M.

I cant imagine how boring you must be as a person to think you couldnt enjoy an M car as a daily driver
Agree M cars can and SHOULD be used every day.

But the main reason I replied was to make this matrix grow and to add this!
Attached Images

11-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #274
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Uh, at 4:42 - so it seems it does have fake exhausts after all?
It's not fake, it's just an exhaust tip.

Audi's is literally fake, like this. There is no opening and the actual exhaust is at the bottom.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #275
Rayers1997
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not true -

your way of thinking makes me sad. the car gets to drive, I live in the mountains. I dont track it because track driving bores me when I could go carving through forest roads. people buy the cars they like. I hate the way the non M 3 series looks this generation, so it was either the M3 or a 5 series, and I prefer speed, so I got the M.

I cant imagine how boring you must be as a person to think you couldnt enjoy an M car as a daily driver
Agree M cars can and SHOULD be used every day.

But the main reason I replied was to make this matrix grow and to add this!
it's beautiful. eventually itll be so big it takes a whole page to reply
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:41 PM   #276
WestCoast76
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

Is there additonal color in LA for the M340i ?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #277
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Close the thread due to negativity? WTF? What we have here are a few trolls who apparently have nothing better to do than come here and complain and/or boast.

Do y'all prioritize looks that much over driving dynamics? Has anyone who has posted here driven it yet? Or sat in one? Or even looked at it in person? No? Then STFU, eh?

As for those that are whining that it looks nothing like a prior BMW...
Appreciate 2
Junni88.00
      11-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #278
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
Close the thread due to negativity? WTF? What we have here are a few trolls who apparently have nothing better to do than come here and complain and/or boast.

Do y'all prioritize looks that much over driving dynamics? Has anyone who has posted here driven it yet? Or sat in one? Or even looked at it in person? No? Then STFU, eh?

I initiated the "close the thread" post, partly in jest. That said, it's more than a few trolls. It's dozens (and growing) of negative posts by many members. If this thread had a poll attached, I'm sure the majority would vote "looks like ass". I will say though, your profile image you attached looks the part. Maybe there's hope after all for the "M"340i regarding the exterior aesthetics.
Appreciate 2
otay826.00
      11-30-2018, 06:22 PM   #279
ashkgerd2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X1 2.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
I initiated the "close the thread" post, partly in jest. That said, it's more than a few trolls. It's dozens (and growing) of negative posts by many members. If this thread had a poll attached, I'm sure the majority would vote "looks like ass". I will say though, your profile image you attached looks the part. Maybe there's hope after all for the "M"340i regarding the exterior aesthetics.
I am sure it's a great car to drive; but the exterior design (like almost every other new BMW design) does not do it for me at all. Looks too much like Infinity Q50. It lacks creativity, and the lines on the front bumper are just messy. I think the interior is alright, nothing special.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:11 PM   #280
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

So are there any forum members in LA going to the auto show to check it out in person?
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2018, 10:31 PM   #281
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
So are there any forum members in LA going to the auto show to check it out in person?
Whoever does go see it in person should start a new thread.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

11-30-2018, 10:45 PM   #282
truep287
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Azurite Black

That grill. Looks like chrome lipstick.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 12:20 AM   #283
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post

I basically view the negative trolls like occupy Wall Street... "occupy Bimmerpost"... a bunch of overly vocal haters who will stop at nothing to have their voice heard just because the world didnt coddle them, exactly how they wanted bmw to build the car or some design element they personally don't prefer

Eventually they will disperse as the car gets closer to production and they run out of hot air. the conversation on site will evolve to typical discussion... pricing, build issues, driving impressions, modding, etc. just have to wait them out. They huff and they puff and..... bmw hits it's sales targets

The G20 is obviously an evolution of the f30 themes and clearly fits into the current bmw design language. The photos next to the new z4 are the best examples of that

I get not liking it and not wanting to buy one for yourself but the blanket statements about "losing their way the car being horribly ugly" are absurd exaggerations
Appreciate 5
otay826.00
hans007604.50
maxnix205.00
      12-01-2018, 12:46 AM   #284
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
I basically view the negative trolls like occupy Wall Street... "occupy Bimmerpost"... a bunch of overly vocal haters who will stop at nothing to have their voice heard just because the world didnt coddle them, exactly how they wanted bmw to build the car or some design element they personally don't prefer

Eventually they will disperse as the car gets closer to production and they run out of hot air. the conversation on site will evolve to typical discussion... pricing, build issues, driving impressions, modding, etc. just have to wait them out. They huff and they puff and..... bmw hits it's sales targets

The G20 is obviously an evolution of the f30 themes and clearly fits into the current bmw design language. The photos next to the new z4 are the best examples of that

I get not liking it and not wanting to buy one for yourself but the blanket statements about "losing their way the car being horribly ugly" are absurd exaggerations
I don't think there is a person on the forum who doesn't hope the driving dynamics are exceptional. We all own BMWs and I personally have looked forward to buying the G20. That said, I don't think I wanna wake up looking at that grill every morning
Appreciate 1
Miko M6648.50
      12-01-2018, 02:31 AM   #285
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Oh okay, I didn't know it could be that fake...

I thought only "exhaust tips welded to the exhaust" count as real, and it looks like that's not the case for the m340i
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 03:39 AM   #286
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
im going this weekend for sure. i'm not optimistic
Appreciate 1
praxis218823.50