Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW M CEO Teases the Idea of Standalone M Sports Car but Rules Out Halo Car

09-12-2019, 08:56 PM   #23
ActionDH
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

They need to make the 3.0 CSL Hommage R Hybrid monster
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
GerryM5249.50
scrammer420.50
///M TOWN13117.00
chief207.00
pz6193274.00
      09-12-2019, 11:26 PM   #24
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

BMW recently announced they were axing a bunch of cars due to financials and we're suppose to believe they are making a "standalone" sports car?

Sounds like a bunch of
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
///M TOWN13117.00
      09-13-2019, 02:15 AM   #25
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

How about they start by not watering down the effin M division anymore??

Anyone want an M-Sport 218i?

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 04:51 AM   #26
b.oom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: occasionally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
BMW recently announced they were axing a bunch of cars due to financials and we're suppose to believe they are making a "standalone" sports car?

Sounds like a bunch of
Marketing, buddy. Merc and Audi is doing the same.

On topic, they're teasing the idea for too long now, which brings issues with their credibility. It is understandable to explore how the market reacts at some ideas of what it could be, but there are too many years already.
They have all it takes to build a true contender for nine11, but not interested since no work on such model's image was made. Even if the i8 does it better than Porsche's in terms of engineering and tech, the lack of image makes them to market it as a standalone product with no competitors. Talking about viable business cases.
My bet is there won't be a 2nd gen i8; same is available for an "S" - which would have brought some revenue to fund the 2nd gen. (It's a bit of a wild thing thinking the same chassis could have been used for the next gen, which obviously would cut the costs).

Business, business everywhere, <money> is everyone's 1st bet. Even if they're not creating history anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 07:38 AM   #27
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionDH View Post
They need to make the 3.0 CSL Hommage R Hybrid monster
SCOTT has recently hinted that the G42 2 Series and G87 M2 will borrow cues from that particular (and indeed very fetching) concept vehicle.

However, that doesn't mean a standalone M product couldn't also be based on it as well. Indeed, a vehicle like that is what I would envision for a CLAR-based bespoken M product, if indeed they are building on that architecture.

What would be even more awesome is a stand-alone, CLAR-based M effort is a small M sedan or Gran Coupe. I know that would get a lot of votes on this forum. Unfortunately, I think the chances of them going that direction are basically zero.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #28
EnI
Secret Agent
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Joy Machine

The most rumoured standalone M car is the ... X8M ... Seriously!

Some sort of M alter ego of BEV iNext.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:17 AM   #29
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnI View Post
The most rumoured standalone M car is the ... X8M ... Seriously!

Some sort of M alter ego of BEV iNext.
Its true that an X8 has been talked about by BMW officials as an M-only product, but I strongly suspect that we'll get both M Performance and M proper models in the lineup. Still technically "M only", but not in the way you might first expect.

By contrast, I would expect the model being discussed in this thread to be available as a single pure M vehicle. Though higher output variants could certainly come later.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #30
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
He remains cryptic, but this

sounds suspiciously to me like they are working on a CLAR-based vehicle rather than a vehicle which tries to reuse the best parts from the i8 architecture. I certainly hope this is not the case. CLAR is great for sedans and SUVs, but we have already seen its limitations being reached with the 8 Series Coupe being a very heavy vehicle that, while great looking, is not ideally suited for the type of dynamics M should be trying to achieve with a flagship model (the M8).

Perhaps (hopefully) Flasch is being coy, and it is the word "engine" that he means to temper his statement against. In other words, if they intend to go with a pure BEV, there would be no engine, but instead a dual (or triple, or quadruple) motor EV which might still be a two seater with a cab forward design, built on an architecture loosely derived from the i8.
I feel so as well. As a devotee I don't see the need to indulge in an expensive hyper car that will do very little for the true enthusiast M crowd. A dedicated, simple and light dynamic chassis that can be used for more than one generation of vehicle would achieve so much more and finally give us the car we have all been crying for so long.

If Alpine, AMG and Nissan can do it and still have standard cars in their range why can't BMW M do it?
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      09-13-2019, 12:37 PM   #31
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

This old conversation again... hold your horses and don't get excited. Things that are currently set to be concluded more quickly than BMW's ambiguity over a dedicated M car include:

- Brexit
- Fully autonomous cars
- Fusion power
- World peace
- Flying cars
- The colonisation of Mars

I'm hoping if they decide to eventually release it they'll offer a Mars Red paint option
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 06:01 PM   #32
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

It makes no sense to bring another Hybrid Sportscar when normal BEVs already offer their 0-60 times.

It makes no sense to rise fuel consumption again after the vision of Efficient Dynamics a decade ago.

Here in Europe the public pressure for more ecological progress raises more and more. Look at Frankfurt, read the press comments, it's a desaster. It would be simply suicide to show up with a V8 Hybrid. Those times are already gone again.

There is no alternative to a pure BEV sportscar but it's to soon to launch it. Infrastructure is way behind.
Appreciate 1