Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Thinking of 330e - must have options?

09-20-2021, 12:22 PM   #23
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovesund View Post
Well, I wouldn't get my hopes up really. The best solution is really a towbar and mount a bike rack on that. Bonus is that you can fit more than one bike there as well.
Either that or get one of those that you mount on the roof.
How does towbar/roof rack affect mpg/kWh consumption of 330e?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 01:26 PM   #24
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't get my hopes up really. The best solution is really a towbar and mount a bike rack on that. Bonus is that you can fit more than one bike there as well.
Either that or get one of those that you mount on the roof.
Aye, roof one Im considering. In past I could switch the roof one between my 911 and F30 (with different mount adapters). I wonder if G30 roof rails are same as F30 width wise?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 12:41 AM   #25
ovesund
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40, i3 60Ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
How does towbar/roof rack affect mpg/kWh consumption of 330e?
I would guess that the towbar option is less damaging to energy consumption. since it won't catch as much wind
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 07:25 PM   #26
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Next week I test one and will try the bike thing trick. Something tells me it may be doable but need to see in person!
G20 330i's 17 cu-ft requires folded rear seats to fit a bike without taking off front rim, 330e likely needs rim removal to fit.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...+cycle+bicycle
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 07:27 PM   #27
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I would guess that the towbar option is less damaging to energy consumption. since it won't catch as much wind
CR says sedan mpg drops 19% if rooftop carrier is used, yikes.

That may really hurt 330e with its "sensitive" mpg.

https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel...-fuel-economy/
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 04:59 AM   #28
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
G20 330i's 17 cu-ft requires folded rear seats to fit a bike without taking off front rim, 330e likely needs rim removal to fit.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...+cycle+bicycle
I am fine with removing the front wheel, this is a 2 sec job. It is the opening that bothers me and if it will actually go through enough with folded seats. Not folding seats I dont even consider, of course they need to be folded.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 04:48 PM   #29
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
So to update my initial search, I ruled against buying a 330e as I found it too compromised as longer term ownership and also likely to be a depreciation problem in future. Some dont agree with me on this of course.

Will wait for more EV offerings having tested some, I think now firmly it is what I would prefer.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 03:44 AM   #30
ovesund
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Yes, it all depends on how long you plan to keep the car.
I'm sure that my next car won't be a PHEV but instead a BEV.
Getting a 330e made perfect sense for me back in 2019 and it still does, but the time has come to make the move to electric when I change about a year from now.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 05:15 AM   #31
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes, it all depends on how long you plan to keep the car.
I'm sure that my next car won't be a PHEV but instead a BEV.
Getting a 330e made perfect sense for me back in 2019 and it still does, but the time has come to make the move to electric when I change about a year from now.
Yeah, I think in 2019 was a good time to do it.

Drove some very good EVs recently and cannot imagine buying an ICE car now or even PHEV with own money. I think once people sample other stuff than Tesla this trend will spread and we wont have such big demand for PHEVs. BUt they did their thing, get people to transition.

And Im not anti ICE, if you see what I drive. But just found EV daily such a good experience I cant imagine going with anything else now. Funny how it just hits you.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 06:39 AM   #32
ovesund
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Absolutely, I really enjoy our little i3 even with its limited range. A more modern one like an i4 or, for that matter, other brands' EVs are quite appealing.
I'd like to stick to BMW but since they won't make an electric only car like the i3 in the foreseeable future there are too many compromises probably making them more inefficient than a car built to be an EV from the start.

That and the fact that the charging inlet is on the wrong (right) side. That is actually something of a dealbreaker for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 08:59 PM   #33
35etrgsd
Rep
Drives: 21 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
I am considering 330e rwd as a possible new daily for 2022. The dilemma is - as I may buy it slightly used or from dealer stock - is what options to avoid and which to get?

For example:

Headlights - which would you recommend? are base ones fine?

HK sound system - is that worth the upgrade from HIFI?

Msport steering wheel - is that much better than standard MF one?

Adaptive suspension - must have? I dont want the car to sit on stilts like it did with F30 Adaptive (or F10). Have BMW sorted this out and Adaptive suspension cars sit low without ugly wheel gap?

18in rims vs 19in rims - on adaptive are 19s fine, or do they give crashy ride?

What packages are a must have?

How is leather in the G20 - worth the premium over alcantara or cloth options (or fake leather)?
Tallest

headlights - no comment since I only ever used the laser ones but the led will work fine. I got the upgrade because of the executive package.

hk sound system - I say stock sound system sounds fine. Go to the dealership and see if you can tell the difference...and even if you can, is it that serious? For me, as long as I can feel the sub, I'm good.

msport steering wheel/adaptive suspension - I think those are great upgrades. I recommend these as a priority over headlights/HK sound system.

no comments on wheels, they okay I guess.

I have the regular leather. I would only suggest upgrading if it comes with a/c through the seat. If its only heat, just get regular one. If I could, I would get the sport seats without any heated seats in my upgrade but thats just me.

The only other upgrades I wish I would've gotten was adaptive cruise control. Great for open roads and long trips.

good luck
      11-07-2021, 04:11 AM   #34
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35etrgsd View Post
Tallest

headlights - no comment since I only ever used the laser ones but the led will work fine. I got the upgrade because of the executive package.

hk sound system - I say stock sound system sounds fine. Go to the dealership and see if you can tell the difference...and even if you can, is it that serious? For me, as long as I can feel the sub, I'm good.

msport steering wheel/adaptive suspension - I think those are great upgrades. I recommend these as a priority over headlights/HK sound system.

no comments on wheels, they okay I guess.

I have the regular leather. I would only suggest upgrading if it comes with a/c through the seat. If its only heat, just get regular one. If I could, I would get the sport seats without any heated seats in my upgrade but thats just me.

The only other upgrades I wish I would've gotten was adaptive cruise control. Great for open roads and long trips.

good luck
Thank you! I have for now shelved idea of getting hybrid and Im gonna wait for the full EV offering in year or two or whenever they do the facelift (based on the interior spy shots, that looks like i4).

Yet thanks for input because I think it will apply should I stick with BMW. I agree on your comments.

Last edited by Tallest; 11-07-2021 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 1