Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Thinking of 330e - must have options?

09-14-2021, 04:17 AM   #1
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Thinking of 330e - must have options?

I am considering 330e rwd as a possible new daily for 2022. The dilemma is - as I may buy it slightly used or from dealer stock - is what options to avoid and which to get?

For example:

Headlights - which would you recommend? are base ones fine?

HK sound system - is that worth the upgrade from HIFI?

Msport steering wheel - is that much better than standard MF one?

Adaptive suspension - must have? I dont want the car to sit on stilts like it did with F30 Adaptive (or F10). Have BMW sorted this out and Adaptive suspension cars sit low without ugly wheel gap?

18in rims vs 19in rims - on adaptive are 19s fine, or do they give crashy ride?

What packages are a must have?

How is leather in the G20 - worth the premium over alcantara or cloth options (or fake leather)?
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2021, 05:57 AM   #2
ovesund
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40, i3 60Ah

Well, the standard LED lights are really strong in low beam. High beam doesn't really make much of a difference. Good enough for me but I don't drive that much at night.

Sound, not sure exactly where you live but here the base sound system is not even the HIFI. HIFI is, in my opinion, good enough, while the base sound system sounds really flat.

Steering wheel, I think the standard one in G20 is good enough. The standard in F30 on the other hand was ugly. I did opt for M-sport in the old one but not in the new one and I have no regrets.

Regarding packages, it appears to be a difference between MY20 and MY21 so I can't really say. Mine that was manufatured in November 2019 came with some things as standard that apparently cost extra for MY21

Also, I think heated steering wheel is kind of pointless in 330e if you have the possibility to pre-heat the car before departure. You don't ever have to sit in a cold car as long as your battery isn't drained.
Appreciate 1
Tallest1301.00
      09-14-2021, 07:30 AM   #3
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovesund View Post
Well, the standard LED lights are really strong in low beam. High beam doesn't really make much of a difference. Good enough for me but I don't drive that much at night.

Sound, not sure exactly where you live but here the base sound system is not even the HIFI. HIFI is, in my opinion, good enough, while the base sound system sounds really flat.

Steering wheel, I think the standard one in G20 is good enough. The standard in F30 on the other hand was ugly. I did opt for M-sport in the old one but not in the new one and I have no regrets.

Regarding packages, it appears to be a difference between MY20 and MY21 so I can't really say. Mine that was manufatured in November 2019 came with some things as standard that apparently cost extra for MY21

Also, I think heated steering wheel is kind of pointless in 330e if you have the possibility to pre-heat the car before departure. You don't ever have to sit in a cold car as long as your battery isn't drained.
Thank you fellow Swede resident. I am too buying the car to use in Sweden actually so your input is valuable.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 07:43 AM   #4
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
I am considering 330e rwd as a possible new daily for 2022. The dilemma is - as I may buy it slightly used or from dealer stock - is what options to avoid and which to get?

For example:

Headlights - which would you recommend? are base ones fine?

HK sound system - is that worth the upgrade from HIFI?

Msport steering wheel - is that much better than standard MF one?

Adaptive suspension - must have? I dont want the car to sit on stilts like it did with F30 Adaptive (or F10). Have BMW sorted this out and Adaptive suspension cars sit low without ugly wheel gap?

18in rims vs 19in rims - on adaptive are 19s fine, or do they give crashy ride?

What packages are a must have?

How is leather in the G20 - worth the premium over alcantara or cloth options (or fake leather)?
Lights: Get at least the adaptive LEDs, the IIHS has tested the standard ones as one of the worst lights in premium vehicles. In Europe you have anti dazzle high beam with the laser lights, so theres even more reason to get them if you can justify the cost over the adaptive LEDs

HK sound: yes, get it, huge difference IMO

M sport steering wheel: If you buy new, just get it, it's like 200 bucks. If a used one doesn't have it, no big deal either. Sure, it does look better, but since the G chassis they finally use fine grain leather on the "normal" steering wheel too.

Adaptive suspension: All the major reviewers say to get it. I think it depends on your driving style, if you change between comfort/sport a lot, then it is worth it. For me, I always have the suspension in sport, so I don't use this feature and would just get the M sport (or the normal one and get an aftermarket KW suspension).

rim size: IMO not a lot of difference between the two sizes. Much more difference make the runflats, try to get a car without them.

Leather: I would be very disappointed to spend money and get the Dakota leather in return. I would take Alcantara (Europe only option, may as well take advantage of that) or Sensatec. The new Sensatec especially (if it's the same as in the g30) is super super soft, has a slightly smaller grain and personally I prefer it over Dakota, even if that was free. If I wanted leather, I would step up to Individual Full Merino Leather, but thats like 4.5k extra.
Appreciate 2
Tallest1301.00
      09-14-2021, 02:28 PM   #5
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
Lights: Get at least the adaptive LEDs, the IIHS has tested the standard ones as one of the worst lights in premium vehicles. In Europe you have anti dazzle high beam with the laser lights, so theres even more reason to get them if you can justify the cost over the adaptive LEDs

HK sound: yes, get it, huge difference IMO

M sport steering wheel: If you buy new, just get it, it's like 200 bucks. If a used one doesn't have it, no big deal either. Sure, it does look better, but since the G chassis they finally use fine grain leather on the "normal" steering wheel too.

Adaptive suspension: All the major reviewers say to get it. I think it depends on your driving style, if you change between comfort/sport a lot, then it is worth it. For me, I always have the suspension in sport, so I don't use this feature and would just get the M sport (or the normal one and get an aftermarket KW suspension).

rim size: IMO not a lot of difference between the two sizes. Much more difference make the runflats, try to get a car without them.

Leather: I would be very disappointed to spend money and get the Dakota leather in return. I would take Alcantara (Europe only option, may as well take advantage of that) or Sensatec. The new Sensatec especially (if it's the same as in the g30) is super super soft, has a slightly smaller grain and personally I prefer it over Dakota, even if that was free. If I wanted leather, I would step up to Individual Full Merino Leather, but thats like 4.5k extra.

On the Adaptive vs Msport - is Adaptive making car lower or higher versus stock, do we know? Can someone confirm that on adaptive the car does not sit high like it did with F30 (or xdrive)?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 03:17 PM   #6
GusL
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340d Xdrive

Taken from the UK configurator - states a 10mm decrease in ride height.
This was based on an M-Sport model, so I assume it's 10mm lower than the M-Sport (if the configurator is correct???)

However looking at the German configurator, it states any decrease in ride height does NOT apply to plug-in hybrid models:
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 07:03 PM   #7
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
On the Adaptive vs Msport - is Adaptive making car lower or higher versus stock, do we know? Can someone confirm that on adaptive the car does not sit high like it did with F30 (or xdrive)?
On non hybrid vehicles, the M as well as the adaptive suspension are 10mm lower than the standard suspension (the adaptive is not another 10mm lower than the M!). On hybrids there is no lowering at all no matter which suspension you choose. I just looked it up and there seems to be no M suspension for 330e, only standard or adaptive.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 05:31 AM   #8
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
On non hybrid vehicles, the M as well as the adaptive suspension are 10mm lower than the standard suspension (the adaptive is not another 10mm lower than the M!). On hybrids there is no lowering at all no matter which suspension you choose. I just looked it up and there seems to be no M suspension for 330e, only standard or adaptive.
Wow, so they dont let you lower the hybrids? What kind of dumb decision was that from BMW and how they justify it? Stuff like this makes me not wanna get the car. It has to look right. Otherwise it's bad for morale.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 05:47 AM   #9
gavinwong
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
2020 G20 330e  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Wow, so they dont let you lower the hybrids? What kind of dumb decision was that from BMW and how they justify it? Stuff like this makes me not wanna get the car. It has to look right. Otherwise it's bad for morale.
Think the suspension has something to do with the additional weight of the battery.
Some have fitted aftermarket springs if the lowering look is important to you.
Regarding other options you were asking about,

Laser lights are pretty good IMO. Got to really test them out on some non lit motorway sections and I found they really helped in terms of brightness and range.

I have hifi and not HK. I think it's just ok (playing through apple car play and Apple Music). Volume and bass punch isn't great, but doesn't bother me in fairness. If it was on the car when I got it then great, it wasn't a deciding factor for me though.

On the leather bit, I've never been a fan of leather seats in the car. But I did like the split alcantara / leather (synthetic I think) that was a deciding factor for me. Was actually more difficult to get the seat preference I wanted.

If you're often on the motorway, adaptive cruise or the drivers assistance pro package is great at making the journey less effort

Wheel size, I have M sport, so 19" was what I wanted to compliment overall look. Especially as the suspension sits higher on the 330e, the 19's help to fill some of the visual space between the tyre and arch
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 02:22 PM   #10
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinwong View Post
Think the suspension has something to do with the additional weight of the battery.
Some have fitted aftermarket springs if the lowering look is important to you.
Regarding other options you were asking about,

Laser lights are pretty good IMO. Got to really test them out on some non lit motorway sections and I found they really helped in terms of brightness and range.

I have hifi and not HK. I think it's just ok (playing through apple car play and Apple Music). Volume and bass punch isn't great, but doesn't bother me in fairness. If it was on the car when I got it then great, it wasn't a deciding factor for me though.

On the leather bit, I've never been a fan of leather seats in the car. But I did like the split alcantara / leather (synthetic I think) that was a deciding factor for me. Was actually more difficult to get the seat preference I wanted.

If you're often on the motorway, adaptive cruise or the drivers assistance pro package is great at making the journey less effort

Wheel size, I have M sport, so 19" was what I wanted to compliment overall look. Especially as the suspension sits higher on the 330e, the 19's help to fill some of the visual space between the tyre and arch

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I also want alcantara, though preferred the cloth alcantara to the alcantara-sensatec setup they went with.

Has anyone tried fitting a bicycle inside into 330e? the floor is compromised a bit - am yet to try the car but I suspect this could be a tall order and almost a deal breaker. Would a bike fit inside with folded seats? (think triathlon bike or fast road bike, not MTB)?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 05:15 PM   #11
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I also want alcantara, though preferred the cloth alcantara to the alcantara-sensatec setup they went with.

Has anyone tried fitting a bicycle inside into 330e? the floor is compromised a bit - am yet to try the car but I suspect this could be a tall order and almost a deal breaker. Would a bike fit inside with folded seats? (think triathlon bike or fast road bike, not MTB)?
The problem, if there is one, will be with the height of the trunk, not the depth.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 11:50 PM   #12
ovesund
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Good luck with that.
Only way to fit a bike in the trunk would be to disassemble the bike entirely
Note that I'm talking G20 and not G21 here.
I don't think the door openings are big enough to easily push a bike through them either.
Then again, G20 is the first 330e where you can have a towbar (good for 750kg) so you can always hang it there. That's what I do.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2021, 08:42 AM   #13
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovesund View Post
Good luck with that.
Only way to fit a bike in the trunk would be to disassemble the bike entirely
Note that I'm talking G20 and not G21 here.
I don't think the door openings are big enough to easily push a bike through them either.
Then again, G20 is the first 330e where you can have a towbar (good for 750kg) so you can always hang it there. That's what I do.
Fit the bike through the door?? I dont even know who does that. That's pretty crazy.

No, I meant opening the trunk - and putting the bike inside with front wheel removed as per normal method. Any thoughts if that's possible? I intend to try it on the test drive of course just wondering ahead if people done it. It is the easiest way to transport a bike in a car that is kept outside on street, and used for other means. Putting up on rack (rear or top) is too much hassle and wont be my solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 10:59 AM   #14
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Fit the bike through the door?? I dont even know who does that. That's pretty crazy.

No, I meant opening the trunk - and putting the bike inside with front wheel removed as per normal method. Any thoughts if that's possible? I intend to try it on the test drive of course just wondering ahead if people done it. It is the easiest way to transport a bike in a car that is kept outside on street, and used for other means. Putting up on rack (rear or top) is too much hassle and wont be my solution.
Have you thought any about a G21?
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

09-17-2021, 12:07 PM   #15
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d

Having run a G20 330e for 9 months I’d say no to putting a bike in the boot unless your handlebars are fairly narrow, my standard width road bike handlebars would not have fitted. Sadly my 330e went back due to redundancy but now looking at a G21 330i so hopefully back in a BMW soon!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 02:03 AM   #16
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osxboy View Post
Having run a G20 330e for 9 months I’d say no to putting a bike in the boot unless your handlebars are fairly narrow, my standard width road bike handlebars would not have fitted. Sadly my 330e went back due to redundancy but now looking at a G21 330i so hopefully back in a BMW soon!
Sorry to hear about your job situation, hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

Just curious, does 330e provide extra tax benefits/registration savings over 330i in UK? Is there specific pros and cons of 330i vs. 330e to give up 330e tax benefits?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 02:34 AM   #17
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d

Thanks all good though as I’m now contracting so my previous 330e was a company car and the 330i will be a private purchase to replace an A5 Avant.

If I was back in a company car it would be an EV or a hybrid to keep the BIK low.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 03:30 AM   #18
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Have you thought any about a G21?
I have, but not really in agreement at home about the way it looks (my other half hates estates, likes SUVs) and given that it is the car SHE mostly drives as I have another one in summer, her opinion sways.

I do like G21, I owned an F11 in past and a Passat Wagon a while back still. But mostly been sedan and coupe guy and prefer the look of sedans. We just have a hobby of triathlon and this means bikes bikes bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osxboy View Post
Not encouraging! replied on G21 above - sadly or not, but not an option. If we go big body car, it will most likely be an X3 but petrol SUVs are nuts and consume a lot, diesel ones are apparently responsible singlehandedly for the everything bad in the world, and electric X3 is a bit of a joke as it even lacks 4wd.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #19
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Not encouraging! replied on G21 above - sadly or not, but not an option. If we go big body car, it will most likely be an X3 but petrol SUVs are nuts and consume a lot, diesel ones are apparently responsible singlehandedly for the everything bad in the world, and electric X3 is a bit of a joke as it even lacks 4wd.
Maybe a 330i with 16 cu-ft of trunk space(plus fold down) is a better option to fit bikes than 330e.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 12:02 PM   #20
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
I’m thinking if you removed the front wheel you could turn the handlebars so that the 330e trunk/boot would close.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

09-18-2021, 03:21 PM   #21
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I’m thinking if you removed the front wheel you could turn the handlebars so that the 330e trunk/boot would close.
Next week I test one and will try the bike thing trick. Something tells me it may be doable but need to see in person!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 01:43 AM   #22
ovesund
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Well, I wouldn't get my hopes up really. The best solution is really a towbar and mount a bike rack on that. Bonus is that you can fit more than one bike there as well.
Either that or get one of those that you mount on the roof.
Appreciate 0