Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications My review of AWE's new exhaust for G2X 330i/440i

06-22-2023, 03:09 PM   #1
Dilber
Kame Society YT Channel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i (G20)

My review of AWE's new exhaust for G2X 330i/440i

DISCLAIMER: I partnered with AWE to get early access to the exhaust system to review. This post is what I’ve experienced installing the Touring system and what I think of the results of the exhaust system.

TLDR; I love it.
I also made a video on the install if you want to watch that:

My car is the 2020 BMW G20 330i that came stock with the Sportline package. I have upgraded the rear bumper to the M-sport bumper (got it from Kies motorsports), but the exit points for the exhaust are the same.

Exhaust related mods:
  • AWE B48 Touring Axle-back Exhaust
  • JB4 Tuning box
  • Evolution Racewerks Catless Downpipe
  • MST Intake
  • M sport bumper conversion (for fitment)

First, the exhaust itself.

It’s a well-made exhaust. I was super surprised to see the 180 technology implemented for the mufflers as I was expecting a single muffler system like how it is for stock. I got the Touring which has two 180 Technology mufflers. I think the Track version just straight pipes that section.
Name:  180 technology.jpg
Views: 2183
Size:  87.9 KB

My version of the exhaust was listed at just under $1000 USD which is better than any of the other options I saw out there for the B48 platform.
The components are solid to my untrained eye. I couldn’t find any issues with the welds and the metals used were good as far as I could tell. I really really really liked the chrome tips that I got. They shine so nicely.
Name:  tips in box.jpg
Views: 2002
Size:  227.8 KB

Overall, I appreciated their attention to detail and, of course, enjoyed the lollipop they included with the system, as they seem to do for all of their exhausts (it was cherry flavored).
Name:  lollipop.jpg
Views: 2004
Size:  137.2 KB

Now for the install.

I would like to first thank Schantin for showing how to jack up our platform (How to lift a BMW G20 onto 4 jackstands).
As soon as I saw the post, I ordered some new jack stands to make the pucks work and it worked beautifully.

The instructions were straightforward, but make sure you read them instead of looking at the pictures (we learned the hard way).
We cut at the dimple, but couldn’t figure out the configuration for the pipe portion of the exhaust.
Name:  dimple cut.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  94.2 KB

For that piece, we spun it around about 4-5 times until we found the right orientation. It was the sticker side up going in and then the hanger lined up with the pipe perfectly.

One thing we found out later in the process was that the AWE system isn’t a fitment replacement of the stock system. The AWE system utilizes a different path that’s hidden by a plastic piece that’s bolted on.
I think this is where the 340i exhaust usually lives, so I wasn’t too concerned about removing that piece.
Name:  plastic undertray.jpg
Views: 2022
Size:  95.6 KB

The next thing to note is the valve system for sport mode in the car. They include a nicely machined plate and small rod to pair with the valve module. I think this is to emulate the resistance of the valve flap.
AWE instructions have you tuck the valve module away behind a heat shield using cable ties. I added an extra cable tie to be sure that it was locked in nicely, but I think the two cable ties they provide is enough honestly.
Name:  flapper module.jpg
Views: 2003
Size:  53.4 KB

After all that, we bolted everything together, lined it up, and tightened it using the ugga-dugga spec (bad idea).
We went for a test ride and the exhaust popped off in Sport Plus mode on Map 2 (+4 psi) for the JB4. We didn’t torque the bolts.

We’re beginners. Don’t do what we did. Follow the instructions and torque to spec.

After torquing down the bolts, I’ve had no issues. The car runs great and I got no new codes.
Name:  exhaust tip.jpg
Views: 1990
Size:  72.2 KB

Finally, we get to the sound.
There are multiple stages to how this exhaust sounds and I’m all for it.

1. The cold starts.
It is loud. I live in an apartment complex with and underground garage and the exhaust note bounces off the walls. It’s great to hear, but I’m worried about disturbing my neighbors.
Regardless, it’s a crisp sound that really makes the four cylinder open up nicely. I was genuinely surprised that it could sound like that.

2. After the engine/cat warms up in comfort mode.
The idle drops to a deep tone but doesn’t drone or rumble the car which is nice.
I personally liked that you can still get some peace in the car especially with some cities in Washington State being particular about modified exhaust systems.

When you want the sound to pick up you can. You don’t have to slam the throttle to get a loud sound out of the exhaust, it’ll do it on its own.
At higher speeds, I can say around 60 to 70 mph is silent unless you’re going up a slope, but if you wanna badabang boom out of there… you can.

3. Sport Plus mode.
Gee-zus-chryst this thing opens up in this driving mode. I’m talking pops, burbles, and the works.
I mentioned that the back pressure popped off the exhaust earlier when we didn’t torque it down, but I get why it did that.
The torque from driving in Sport Plus felt way stronger and the sound was really satisfying.

I’m nearly fully stage 2 with my build and every mod I do seems to pick up the performance of this vehicle. The biggest changes for me were with my JB4 and this exhaust mod honestly. So much fun.
Name:  exhaust installed.jpg
Views: 2051
Size:  98.0 KB

If I had to give it a score, it’d be a 9.5/10 for me. I’m not big on very loud exhausts or overly obnoxious setups. This for me was a tasteful upgrade to sound and it can be obnoxious when I want it to be.
It’s missing the 1/2 point for me because of the lack of utilization of a valved system. I get why they didn’t include a switchpath on this exhaust with how the mufflers are set up, but it’s just something I was hoping for in an exhaust anyway and I wanted to stay true to that expectation.

Regardless, I’m extremely happy with this setup and plan to continue to daily my car with the AWE exhaust. The price, the quality, the sound, the performance all exceed my expectations with this system. I’m a happy driver for sure with this for sure.

Last edited by Dilber; 06-22-2023 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: Removing unused image
Appreciate 2
pdxdbo331.00
VipinLJ1949.00
      06-23-2023, 10:19 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Dilber15.00
      06-23-2023, 11:16 AM   #3
pdxdbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Thanks for sharing! I’m curious if you ran with an open exhaust valve and catless dp prior to installing the AWE exhaust. I have a catless downpipe and use JB4 to enable an always open exhaust valve. Cold starts are loud, which I expected but I wonder if the AWE Touring would be that much louder on cold start.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 02:21 PM   #4
Dilber
Kame Society YT Channel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxdbo View Post
Thanks for sharing! I’m curious if you ran with an open exhaust valve and catless dp prior to installing the AWE exhaust. I have a catless downpipe and use JB4 to enable an always open exhaust valve. Cold starts are loud, which I expected but I wonder if the AWE Touring would be that much louder on cold start.
It’s quite a bit louder on cold start and you feel the rumbles. I didn’t do the open exhaust valves though.

The stock axleback system really felt like it suppressed the engine but this exhaust + dp really made it feel like it opened up.
Appreciate 1
pdxdbo331.00
      07-03-2023, 08:11 PM   #5
ersatz_lord
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Thanks for sharing. I've been eyeing this exhaust for a while now and may pull the trigger.
Appreciate 1
Dilber15.00