08-09-2023, 06:55 PM   #1
Andmdit
Andmdit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330ix

Garage List
2021 G20 Retrofit

Hey everyone, I’m hoping I can get some help on a new retrofit I wanna do. I’ve done my fair share of retrofits and coding on my previous f30 but it recently got totaled and now I’m in a 2021 330 xdrive. My car came with the 8.8 screen and the analog digital dash hybrid situation. I do have ID7 and in bimmercode my head unit is listed as HU_MGU. I understand that upgrading the screen itself to the 10.25 is pretty straight forward with some minor coding. My question is when it comes to the instrument cluster. I want to retrofit the full digital dash without HUD. My car has full nav and S6U2 BMW live operating area plus.

For the digital dash would I need to VO code the car and remove 6U2 and replace It with 6U3 for live cockpit professional or would the dash work normally with leaving the car as S6U2?

Also when shopping for the digital dash display, do I need to buy a new one or will a used one work without virginizing if it has less miles than my car?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 07:10 AM   #2
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

It better you get a new cluster. Even after coding the cluster some functions maybe missing though its still usable.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2023, 05:42 PM   #3
Andmdit
Andmdit
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNine90 View Post
It better you get a new cluster. Even after coding the cluster some functions maybe missing though its still usable.
Thanks. Any recommendations on where to get a new cluster other than eBay?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 12:11 PM   #4
GeorgeRSA
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Garage List
  [0.00]
Successful G20 Instrument Cluster Upgrade

Hi everyone.

For the sake of awareness, I have shared my journey of upgrading to the full digital instrument cluster with 100% functionality on my 2020 G20. Check it out over here https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2057556

Last edited by GeorgeRSA; 10-30-2023 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: Correct link
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 12:16 PM   #5
GeorgeRSA
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Instrument Cluster Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andmdit View Post
Thanks. Any recommendations on where to get a new cluster other than eBay?
I can give you the contacts of the supplier I got mine from. Brand new, and less than half dealer price. There will be shipping charges but it will still be cheaper than getting one from a BMW dealership. Otherwise, eBay is one of your best bets. Supplier has both "WITH HUD" and "WITHOUT HUD".
Appreciate 2
Davg31107.00
      10-29-2023, 12:29 PM   #6
GeorgeRSA
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey everyone, I’m hoping I can get some help on a new retrofit I wanna do. I’ve done my fair share of retrofits and coding on my previous f30 but it recently got totaled and now I’m in a 2021 330 xdrive. My car came with the 8.8 screen and the analog digital dash hybrid situation. I do have ID7 and in bimmercode my head unit is listed as HU_MGU. I understand that upgrading the screen itself to the 10.25 is pretty straight forward with some minor coding. My question is when it comes to the instrument cluster. I want to retrofit the full digital dash without HUD. My car has full nav and S6U2 BMW live operating area plus.

For the digital dash would I need to VO code the car and remove 6U2 and replace It with 6U3 for live cockpit professional or would the dash work normally with leaving the car as S6U2?

Also when shopping for the digital dash display, do I need to buy a new one or will a used one work without virginizing if it has less miles than my car?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Buy both components brand new to avoid unnecessary headaches. I had a used 10" iDrive screen and it blacked out the display output because of VIN mismatch. It responded to touches but there was no display output.

Last edited by GeorgeRSA; 10-30-2023 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2023, 03:06 PM   #7
Andmdit
Andmdit
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRSA View Post
I can give you the contacts of the supplier I got mine from. Brand new, and less than half dealer price. There will be shipping charges but it will still be cheaper than getting one from a BMW dealership. Otherwise, eBay is one of your best bets. Supplier has both "WITH HUD" and "WITHOUT HUD".
thanks so much for your response and write up. This is exactly what I've been looking for. Can you message me the supplier? I don't have HUD in my car currently and I previously upgraded the 8inch screen to the 10 inch screen
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 05:04 PM   #8
GeorgeRSA
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
thanks so much for your response and write up. This is exactly what I've been looking for. Can you message me the supplier? I don't have HUD in my car currently and I previously upgraded the 8inch screen to the 10 inch screen
PM sent
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 07:03 PM   #9
Davg31
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRSA View Post
Buy both components brand new to avoid unnecessary headaches. I had a used 10" iDrive screen and it blacked out the display output because of VIN mismatch. It responded to touches but there was no display output.
Hello interest for that too ;=)
Appreciate 0