Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin DIY oil change: drain oil first or remove filter first?

12-24-2023, 08:33 PM   #23
rmedina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

I can confirm that removing the filter first will not cause any additional issues. Just did it last night with zero problems. I have no intention going to my local BMW dealership here in San Antonio for oil changes (free or not). I refuse to go there for anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 12:13 PM   #24
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

The G20 M340 shop manual has the oil filter removal as the first step. Regardless, I doubt it matters. I did my first oil change on my own today, and the filter did not disintegrate thankfully. I followed the SIB that advised loosening 1/2 turn, tightening back, then loosening (I did this sequence a few times though). I had under 5000 miles on the oil, but it was 10 months old. New filter I made sure if clicked audibly into the housing, lubed all o-rings, and torqued to 25 Nm.
Appreciate 0