Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin Anyway to delete active grille after throwing CEL?

03-18-2024, 08:49 PM   #1
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Portimao Blue M340-x

Anyway to delete active grille after throwing CEL?

So my active grilled stopped working and they’re throwing a CEL. If I had the choice i wouldn’t have gotten active grille, I live in California, the coldest it’s gotten is 45 degreees here.
So my question is, Is there anyway to delete the active grille to take care of the CEL?

2020 Portimao Blue M340 X Drive and adaptive suspension.
Mods: custom exhaust, VRSF Catted DP, Injen intake and Chargepipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 09:04 PM   #2
KyK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I believe BM3 and MHD (unsure about MHD) have the coding option to disable it. I actually have been living with the active grill working but throwing a code and I just recently switched the part out with a new one from fcpeuro. The car threw a code after the new part was installed so unsure if its working, it hasn't come back in 200 miles. I know if you have access to ISTA you can recalibrate it and that can solve the CEL/active grill, saw this on another forum. I unfortunately don't have a windows laptop so I haven't been able to try this out.
Porsche 911 Carrera T (retired)
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2024, 09:43 AM   #3
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Portimao Blue M340-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyK View Post
I believe BM3 and MHD (unsure about MHD) have the coding option to disable it. I actually have been living with the active grill working but throwing a code and I just recently switched the part out with a new one from fcpeuro. The car threw a code after the new part was installed so unsure if its working, it hasn't come back in 200 miles. I know if you have access to ISTA you can recalibrate it and that can solve the CEL/active grill, saw this on another forum. I unfortunately don't have a windows laptop so I haven't been able to try this out.
Yea my tune can also delete the active grille, but I spoke to my mechanic yesterday and it seems like I need to update my idrive to recalibrate it for the grille. I’m really hoping that it fixes the issue because I’m not trying to spend $300 to fix it before letting go of the car

2020 Portimao Blue M340 X Drive and adaptive suspension.
Mods: custom exhaust, VRSF Catted DP, Injen intake and Chargepipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 09:01 PM   #4
KyK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G20 M340 View Post
Yea my tune can also delete the active grille, but I spoke to my mechanic yesterday and it seems like I need to update my idrive to recalibrate it for the grille. I’m really hoping that it fixes the issue because I’m not trying to spend $300 to fix it before letting go of the car
Thats really weird, I wonder if the calibration was a part of an update because of the issue. I included the service bulletin if it helps. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...79815-9999.pdf
Porsche 911 Carrera T (retired)
Appreciate 0