Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Dents repair and PPF

08-26-2019, 08:48 PM   #1
hockeymen14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

I dropped the plastic extension to a leaf blower on my hood this weekend. Don't ask just a stupid maneuver and glad it wasn't one of my kids who made the first dent. PPF did its job and protected the paint but the dents have to go.

Does anyone know if it's possible to pull a small dent from the hood if there is PPF already applied? My shop is going to take a look Friday but said it may entail redoing the PPF on the hood. Sucks but this is life. See my other post on a shattered drivers window and you can see why I'm starting to read the book "The subtle art of not giving a f&*k."
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 06:08 PM   #2
serg1282
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: through

Not sure about PPF, but I had my first dent this past week (someone in a parking lot >> door ding). I was able to get it out with paintless dent repair and it's undetectable. Your's looks like one that paintless dent repair could get out. Hope it all works out! There's nothing more maddening than that first dent on a new car.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 09:03 PM   #3
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M340 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymen14 View Post
I dropped the plastic extension to a leaf blower on my hood this weekend. Don't ask just a stupid maneuver and glad it wasn't one of my kids who made the first dent. PPF did its job and protected the paint but the dents have to go.

Does anyone know if it's possible to pull a small dent from the hood if there is PPF already applied? My shop is going to take a look Friday but said it may entail redoing the PPF on the hood. Sucks but this is life. See my other post on a shattered drivers window and you can see why I'm starting to read the book "The subtle art of not giving a f&*k."
This will come out easy with dent repair
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 11:51 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Hood is aluminum. PDR is possible, but more difficult. Steel is more flexible and has "memory" making it easier to return to its original shape. Aluminum isn't so cooperative.

Find a good PDR shop.
      08-30-2019, 05:01 PM   #5
hockeymen14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Hood is aluminum. PDR is possible, but more difficult. Steel is more flexible and has "memory" making it easier to return to its original shape. Aluminum isn't so cooperative.

Find a good PDR shop.
Auto Repair Guard of Tampa Bay did the repair this afternoon. Same company that did my PPF and tint. Can't even tell. They charged $250 which seems expensive as it only took them 1 hr but you get what you pay for. Repaired from underneath, saved the film and looks good as new. Guy that did it says he's been doing this for 21 years. Stated pushing aluminum from below with PPF above takes it from a 3/10 to a 9/10 in complexity so I'd agree find a good shop. This place has exotic cars galore being worked on every time I walk in. Would recommend them to anyone any day that lives in the greater Tampa/St Pete area.
Appreciate 0