Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 Vernasca Leather Quality?

02-25-2019, 11:59 AM   #23
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
I hate that soft leather that doesn't age well. Nappa especially. Nappa is only good on steering wheel, not on seats. Dakota is perfectly fine, even the latest leatherette is quite good.

Mercedes Artico leatherette and suede works well too.
What leather is on the Msport steering wheel on F30s
It's too smooth and slippery. Wish it was grained and stickier
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #24
XxLHCxX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I had a loaner the other day a new X3 with Vernasca leather and compared to Dakota I thought the quality had gone up (and not before time but still not good enough) Dakota is truly dreadful stuff and has no place in a BMW, in fact I still marvel at their chutzpah for putting it in so many cars AND getting away with it.
Would the leather quality be different perhaps??? The Dakota leather I have in my 2018 530i is very high quality...

The Vernasca leather on the 3 series in the Toronto Autoshow was very very vinyl looking and feeling. It was nowhere near the Dakota leather in my 530i.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #25
XxLHCxX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerkeman View Post
Saw the G20 at the auto show as well - I also asked it if was vynil/leathette. The vernasca has a hard feel and the finer grain makes the texture seem rough to me.

I liked the new interior much better than my F30 otherwise, a big improvement.
Okay. Good thing that it wasn't just me. The design is nice on the inside. I am just disappointed in the leather... I wished that there was an upgraded leather available on the m340i.

I do know that you can option the dash with Walkanappa leather, which is the smooth leather for only I think $800.00, which is really worth it!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 11:02 AM   #26
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

As with the F30/F31, I'm sure BMW will add better leather options as time goes on. Honnestly, the Dakota leather has so much top coats on it that it might as well be vinyl. I wish BMW would have something like MB has on the C43 as standard.

That being said, in my experience, Dakota leather's "feel" varies a bit. My two F31's where noticeably different in that regard.
      02-27-2019, 11:40 AM   #27
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f31mtl View Post

That being said, in my experience, Dakota leather's "feel" varies a bit. My two F31's where noticeably different in that regard.
I will agree with that, i feel like the quality and comfort on my 2018 F32 440 is much better than my 2014 F30 335. Both are sport seats (sportline 335, Msport 440) Couldnt tell you whether thats the leather itself or an improvement/update in seat design/support materials. Either way i like the seats noticibly better in my 440. My hope is to like the G20 seats another notch better than the 440.

Last edited by xlover; 02-27-2019 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:20 PM   #28
FUZCO
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS

Go with the Sensatec. Feels a bit more comfortable, less maintenance, and looks and feels like leather with better longevity. The leather in these cars is low grade hide that is so heavily coated that it may as well be vinyl anyway.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #29
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUZCO View Post
Go with the Sensatec. Feels a bit more comfortable, less maintenance, and looks and feels like leather with better longevity. The leather in these cars is low grade hide that is so heavily coated that it may as well be vinyl anyway.
Agree with this 100%. After having Dakota in the E90 and F30, G20 sensatec looks better and feels better. The seat is softer and more comfortable too. Can't imagine vernasaca is much better. Unless I'm getting Nappa, the 3 series leather is a waste of $.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:30 PM   #30
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
Agree with this 100%. After having Dakota in the E90 and F30, G20 sensatec looks better and feels better. The seat is softer and more comfortable too. Can't imagine vernasaca is much better. Unless I'm getting Nappa, the 3 series leather is a waste of $.
I have sensatec in the X3 and vernasca in the 330i. The vernasca definitely feels better. In fact, people who didn’t know that both my Bimmers had different leather and have been in both many times asked me why the leather in the 330i feels better. But is it worth $1450? I don’t know. I wouldn’t have ordered it if I was building a car. I picked my car off the lot and it came with the vernasca leather.
Downside is that the vernasca is more susceptible to dye transfer from jeans (idk how or why). Both my cars have beige leather and the 330i has significantly visible dye transfer, especially on the drivers seat, compared to my X3.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:39 PM   #31
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I have sensatec in the X3 and vernasca in the 330i. The vernasca definitely feels better. In fact, people who didn’t know that both my Bimmers had different leather and have been in both many times asked me why the leather in the 330i feels better. But is it worth $1450? I don’t know. I wouldn’t have ordered it if I was building a car. I picked my car off the lot and it came with the vernasca leather.
Downside is that the vernasca is more susceptible to dye transfer from jeans (idk how or why). Both my cars have beige leather and the 330i has significantly visible dye transfer, especially on the drivers seat, compared to my X3.

I could be wrong but I think the G20 has the newest generation of Sensatec. Or at least it feels totally different to me. Sensatec in the older BMW models was stiff, rubbery and just plain cheap feeling...Even I preferred Dakota over that stuff in my 2014 F30. The new sensatec has a much softer feel and more closely resembles a nappa type grain.
Appreciate 2
FUZCO29.00
A6bullet336.00
      01-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #32
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Both Dakota and Vernasca feel cheap, but in my opinion Vernasca is the better one, it feels less hard.

I ended up getting Merino on my M340i because I couldn't stand paying so much for a car and having cheap feeling leather.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2020, 02:05 PM   #33
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
I could be wrong but I think the G20 has the newest generation of Sensatec. Or at least it feels totally different to me. Sensatec in the older BMW models was stiff, rubbery and just plain cheap feeling...Even I preferred Dakota over that stuff in my 2014 F30. The new sensatec has a much softer feel and more closely resembles a nappa type grain.
You could be right. I haven’t been in a new 3 series or X3 with sensatec. My X3 is the old F25. It definitely has horrible sensatec that feels more like vinyl than leather. The vernasca is so much better than that. Maybe the sensatec in the new cars is much better than the old one? I don’t know. But like I said. Would I spend $1450 for it? Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
Both Dakota and Vernasca feel cheap, but in my opinion Vernasca is the better one, it feels less hard.

I ended up getting Merino on my M340i because I couldn't stand paying so much for a car and having cheap feeling leather.
Unfortunately, us plebeians in America don’t get merino here. Only sensatec or “upgraded” vernasca.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 04:31 PM   #34
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
You could be right. I haven’t been in a new 3 series or X3 with sensatec. My X3 is the old F25. It definitely has horrible sensatec that feels more like vinyl than leather. The vernasca is so much better than that. Maybe the sensatec in the new cars is much better than the old one? I don’t know. But like I said. Would I spend $1450 for it? Nope.

Unfortunately, us plebeians in America don’t get merino here. Only sensatec or “upgraded” vernasca.
Normally I would think BMW is concerned about cannibalization of 5 series sales if they offered the nicer merino leather in the 3 series, but apparently that's not an issue in the rest of the world?

Also I imagine for the majority of buyers, size of car has more to do with their decision to go with a 5 series over a 3 series, and less so for the luxury differences. My theory is majority of luxury car buyers are more interested in the badge recognition than they are about the intricacies of soft touch materials and high quality leather.

As someone who appreciates the details.... I'm pissed about BMW not offering merino leather in the 3 series here in the states.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #35
FUZCO
Banned
Rep

The Sensatec in the new G20 has been much improved. If you go and sit in both you would think the Sensatec is a softer, higher grade leather than the Vernasca; and not leatherette. Another thing I noticed is that the fit and finish on the Sensatec is generally nicer than the leather which has creases and ripples on many cars dtraight from the factory.

When I had my Lexus RC 350, I was absolutely opposed to the Nuluxe (Lexus' version of Sensatec), thinking it was an inferior item. I wound up "settling" for it because leather is not an option on the F-Sport. To my surprise, it looks identical to leather but much more durable. After three years the seats look brand new still. After having that, I never looked back or would consider leather unless it's a high grade.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:10 PM   #36
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
What leather is on the Msport steering wheel on F30s
It's too smooth and slippery. Wish it was grained and stickier
its supposed to be nappa.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:38 PM   #37
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I had Dakota on my previous 3 series and I have Nappa now on my 5 series. It is a matter of taste but I really didn't like the Dakota. I prefer a smaller car and would consider a M340i for my next car (or its equivalent) but not if I couldn't get upgraded leather. Let me order it with individual merino leather and I could be very tempted.

Unfortunately, most auto makers think that size and quality go together. In my mind, they are actually in inverse quality to each other.

Give me an M240i with the options I desire and I would be even happier. And, yes, I understand that there is a cost associated with it. I would be willing to pay that cost.
I too prefer the drive of the smaller three over the heavier 5. If you opt for the individual nappa in a 5 or 7 the leather is very nice.

The leather in the 3 is ok, much better in the M3. The good news is BMW leather wears VERY well for its application as a car seat. Wipe it with a damp cloth when you wash the car and you are good to go. Even with kids.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:34 PM   #38
alexm3forty
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I see a lot of guys here recommend sensatec. I too chose sensatec based on forum oppinions in my 2018 430xi gc and i want to share my thoughts in 2 years of owning it.

So, the sensatec on Fxx was very close to leather in terms of feel. It was a little bit softer than leather but i honestly do not feel that while driving the car. I do not feel it as being less slippery than leather. I do have side support on the seats you know ) I have not fealt beaing less breathable than leather (i'm not a sweaty guy). Regarding to cleaning, i absolutely positively did not have the impression it is easier to clean than leather was. Exact same thing, would just get a sponge and some gyeon and voila! So everyhting was perfect with the sensatec EXCEPT:

1. Please note this was my first sensatec car. I did miss a lot the leather smell. Did not think i would when chose it, but i can genuinely promise you i was like a kid when getting in a leather car and did start to regret not getting the leather immediately after taking delivery. I really felt i made a mistake.

2. The second is a big one guys :P
So, in order to better explain, please understand i'm the type of "kiss your car at night" guy )) I take really good care of the car and i rarely to never use the seat heating. I am careful when sitting in the car so i don't damage the side of the seat and really maintain it carefully. Also, i have an athletic build. So almost new car, exactly 20 months old from the time i took delivery, 24.000km and the sensatec on the left side of my seat CRACKED! I was sooooo mad & dissapointed. All in all, i filed a request for warranty and they did step up replacing the entire seat. But you should know this can happen if you are planning on getting sensatec.
Attached Images

2013 X1 1.8d xDrive "E84"
2008 335xi "E92"
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:39 AM   #39
mathys
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 - G01 - F56

Could it be that the autoshow G20 was treated with some (wrong) or too much conditioner, so it felt off?

My vote also goes to Sensatec, unless you want a colour in your interior. I have only experienced and seen the black version. So the cracking above was unknown to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 01:50 AM   #40
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm3forty View Post
I see a lot of guys here recommend sensatec. I too chose sensatec based on forum oppinions in my 2018 430xi gc and i want to share my thoughts in 2 years of owning it.

So, the sensatec on Fxx was very close to leather in terms of feel. It was a little bit softer than leather but i honestly do not feel that while driving the car. I do not feel it as being less slippery than leather. I do have side support on the seats you know ) I have not fealt beaing less breathable than leather (i'm not a sweaty guy). Regarding to cleaning, i absolutely positively did not have the impression it is easier to clean than leather was. Exact same thing, would just get a sponge and some gyeon and voila! So everyhting was perfect with the sensatec EXCEPT:

1. Please note this was my first sensatec car. I did miss a lot the leather smell. Did not think i would when chose it, but i can genuinely promise you i was like a kid when getting in a leather car and did start to regret not getting the leather immediately after taking delivery. I really felt i made a mistake.

2. The second is a big one guys :P
So, in order to better explain, please understand i'm the type of "kiss your car at night" guy )) I take really good care of the car and i rarely to never use the seat heating. I am careful when sitting in the car so i don't damage the side of the seat and really maintain it carefully. Also, i have an athletic build. So almost new car, exactly 20 months old from the time i took delivery, 24.000km and the sensatec on the left side of my seat CRACKED! I was sooooo mad & dissapointed. All in all, i filed a request for warranty and they did step up replacing the entire seat. But you should know this can happen if you are planning on getting sensatec.
Do you have higher res pics?

Also please note that the sensatec on the G20 is (I think) a brand new formula. I have never seen fake leather this good. Thats why I have it on my car. Maybe because your is white its noticeable, but mine is holding strong.

No question about it, if you want comfort and longevity, sensatec is definitely the way to go.
*I have not tried it in the summer so ill let you know then.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:10 AM   #41
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I can't agree, no one is taking about aniline leather that's generally a bad idea in cars the nappa leather in my M3s was a perfect compromise and was hard wearing whilst also being nice to sit on and easy on the eye and is a sealed leather.

Datoka looks feels and looks cheap (because it is) from the first day you pick the car up to the last day, plenty of leathers that are practical but don't look like a dogs dinner.
I agree. The unwillingness of BMW to let us buy better quality leather in the 3 series is why I upgraded, reluctantly, to a 5 series with Nappa leather. Everyone has opinions and there is no absolute right answer but to me the Dakota was awful (in retrospect, I would rather have sensatech).

BMW is making a common mistake. Protect a product by not letting another product compete with it. Usually that ends up destroying the company altogether.

Next time around if I can't get a smaller car with the features I want, it will be goodbye BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:35 AM   #42
alexm3forty
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6bullet View Post
Do you have higher res pics?

Also please note that the sensatec on the G20 is (I think) a brand new formula. I have never seen fake leather this good. Thats why I have it on my car. Maybe because your is white its noticeable, but mine is holding strong.

No question about it, if you want comfort and longevity, sensatec is definitely the way to go.
*I have not tried it in the summer so ill let you know then.
These pics actually are high-res but were downsized when uploaded. Sorry
2013 X1 1.8d xDrive "E84"
2008 335xi "E92"
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #43
FUZCO
Banned
Rep

Let keep this going. Can anyone share their sensatec G20 interior shots?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:13 AM   #44
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUZCO View Post
Let keep this going. Can anyone share their sensatec G20 interior shots?
Almost 10k miles on the car and my seats still look showroom new.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0