Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What is that noise? Identifying rattling noises

02-05-2020, 01:46 AM   #243
yhornik
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330e g20 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec800 View Post
The plastic vent against the rear window. There’s a bunch of things needed to be taken off to get the rear deck out but once it’s out once it’s easy to do it again.
Hi
Thanks for your post.
What kind of noise were you experiencing from the back? Can you describe so I can understand if it's the same issue as mine?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #244
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec800 View Post
The plastic vent against the rear window. There’s a bunch of things needed to be taken off to get the rear deck out but once it’s out once it’s easy to do it again.
It would be great if you write a guide on how you fixed it.

I think I have the same issue, it sounds like the rear shelf is loose.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #245
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

When I have time I will try and get a write up it takes about a hour and half first time around
Appreciate 3
      02-07-2020, 09:57 PM   #246
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340Mike View Post
Still seeing people with the centre speaker cover problem. I absolutely hated it both when listening to music and accelerating. I emailed the link to the fix posted in this thread (thanks whoever that was!!) to my service rep. Then I took the car to the dealership. Whether they used the fix from the link or a standard BMW fix (the problem is well known) it was perfect after that and still does not rattle weeks later.

Take it to BMW folks! They'll fix it.

However they still haven't fixed the problem of my car randomly starting itself like a sentient beast on occasion! No one else seems to have the problem though... so no known cure.
Every so often my remote start fails when I use the connected app. Maybe BMW is getting their wires crossed and I'm starting your car instead! Lol
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2020, 10:41 PM   #247
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Is there a guide on what to do about the sunroof? It's gotten really bad. I want to take it to the dealer but I want to make sure they fix it correctly
      02-11-2020, 04:38 AM   #248
Chappati21
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i (G20) M Sport

Got my car back from the dealership and there's as apparently a note from BMW for the sunroof creaking sound, they cleaned the sunroof seal and applied grease on it.

So far so good, I don't hear any noise coming from the sunroof.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2020, 05:18 AM   #249
mrkrad
Old Geezer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i PB MPE

when i received my m340i about 2 weeks ago, the passenger speaker would rattle like hell during bass. In the past week, it has completely silenced the rattle even under heavy bass. What could this be? I thought it was a blown speaker based on the e46/e90 speaker situation?!

Passenger was seated when this happened!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 07:38 AM   #250
ricdanger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

I'm hearing a "toc toc toc" from what seems like B Pillar.
I get that noise from both left and right. It seems at head level.
Not related to bad roads, because I generally hear it when driving fast on highway.
Any idea what can it be? Looks to me like something related to the windows or the isolation rubber.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 08:02 AM   #251
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdanger View Post
Not related to bad roads, because I generally hear it when driving fast on highway.
Any idea what can it be? Looks to me like something related to the windows or the isolation rubber.
It might be obvious, but check that your passenger seat belt is correctly positioned. Whenever I've had that kind of noise is because the seat belt didn't retract properly and it kept knocking against the B pillar.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2020, 08:21 AM   #252
ricdanger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
It might be obvious, but check that your passenger seat belt is correctly positioned. Whenever I've had that kind of noise is because the seat belt didn't retract properly and it kept knocking against the B pillar.
Unfortunately it's not that.
This noise happens even when both seat belts are in use.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #253
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappati21 View Post
Got my car back from the dealership and there's as apparently a note from BMW for the sunroof creaking sound, they cleaned the sunroof seal and applied grease on it.

So far so good, I don't hear any noise coming from the sunroof.
Do you have any more details about the sunroof note?

I dropped my car off at BMW today... I showed them the noise and they agreed it was very loud. I never drive with the sunroof cover open/glass closed, but we did during the drive with the shop foreman and it was amazing how loud it was for a car with under 4000 miles
      02-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #254
cigaro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

I have two distinct noises that are driving me up the wall.

One is a rattling from the glove compartment. I know it’s the glove compartment because when I hold it with my hand it stops. It’s near where the handle is to open it.

The other is intermittent creaking coming from the plastic pillar on the drivers door. The part that goes around the window closest to back of the door.

Both very annoying to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:09 AM   #255
Chappati21
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i (G20) M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbolife View Post
Do you have any more details about the sunroof note?

I dropped my car off at BMW today... I showed them the noise and they agreed it was very loud. I never drive with the sunroof cover open/glass closed, but we did during the drive with the shop foreman and it was amazing how loud it was for a car with under 4000 miles
Sorry, I don't have any details about the sunroof note. How does your noise sound like?
Mine was like some plastic piece was loose in the sunroof area (sunroof closed). I could hear some cracking sound when it was tilted.
But no noise whatsoever when the sunroof was fully opened.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 08:50 AM   #256
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Starting to notice my sunroof rattling too. We have a cold snap in MN this week and it's gotten really noticeable.

Anyone have their dealer fix this lately? I'd rather have a new seal than have them tear out the sunroof on a sub 1k mile vehicle...
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2020, 08:16 AM   #257
billycheong
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewtyj View Post
Mine too especially on bumpy road. It is also from driver/front side.
I’m facing the same as you, although Malaysia is right hand drive the noise come from front/left side.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 02:53 PM   #258
dmi2
MrMoose
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw 330i

I'm hearing rattle from the dashboard, left side, near the A-pillar. If I press down hard on the dashboard near the window, the noise stops. Anyone else with this problem? See video, you can hear it clearly from 8 seconds. Really annoying

vimeo.com/409545851
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 04:45 AM   #259
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

10k miles the car is a complete shit show with rattles unbelievable I actually cannot wait for the lease to go back unfortunately have 2 and half years left
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 03:16 PM   #260
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

Unfortunately now it's my turn to contribute to this thread.

Today I've noticed a loud rattle/creaking apparently coming from the rear passenger door. It's quite loud and can be heard almost constantly even when driving on relatively smooth surfaces, also with crawling speed. But if I lower the window in that door even a tiny bit, the rattle stops completely. Close it, and it starts rattling again.

Anyone with similar issue?

EDIT2: I took my wife for a ride as an observer and apparently it is the said window rubbing against door/seal (?) but only when it is fully closed. Like it is constantly rubbing against door frame/window seal. I did take a closer look and visually everyting looks perfectly fine. Anything I can do about it? Would like not to get the dealer involved, unless necessary.

Last edited by Yossi123; 05-08-2020 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #261
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
Confirmed on my side also the Sil-Glyde works perfectly. I used a dollar store toothbrush to apply it across the trim. In hindsight, I should have only applied it to the areas where it was rubbing, not the whole trim piece.... future project I suppose. But problem solved for now and no rattles.
9 month update: the sil-glyde is still working to solve this issue with the first application. I’m thinking about cleaning and reapplying. But I’m betting this issue will solve any weather stripping/rubber seal related noises for the entire vehicle- specifically at the moonroof and doors. I’m glad I discovered this product. Saves me wasted trips to the dealer to have them poke and prod my vehicle and potentially cause additional problems.

Perhaps I’m one of the lucky ones, but this car has been quiet and trouble free after fixing the front speaker rattle and trunk lid creaking in the first couple months after buying it. I’ve never owned a car this solid. To be honest, I expected the opposite.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #262
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
9 month update: the sil-glyde is still working to solve this issue with the first application. I’m thinking about cleaning and reapplying. But I’m betting this issue will solve any weather stripping/rubber seal related noises for the entire vehicle- specifically at the moonroof and doors. I’m glad I discovered this product. Saves me wasted trips to the dealer to have them poke and prod my vehicle and potentially cause additional problems.

Perhaps I’m one of the lucky ones, but this car has been quiet and trouble free after fixing the front speaker rattle and trunk lid creaking in the first couple months after buying it. I’ve never owned a car this solid. To be honest, I expected the opposite.
Where exactly did you apply it? I noticed that my rear door shadowline trim (essentially abutting the most front partof the rear door frame) creaks like crazy if I touch it, and I wonder if that area of flex is where the rattle comes from. Tried dry lube, but don't really notice a difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #263
AdamT
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M-Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
Where exactly did you apply it? I noticed that my rear door shadowline trim (essentially abutting the most front partof the rear door frame) creaks like crazy if I touch it, and I wonder if that area of flex is where the rattle comes from. Tried dry lube, but don't really notice a difference.
I have the same issue.

The seals/shadow trim creak really badly if you press along them with the door open.

I think the only way to fix it would be to remove the trim, and install some padding to stop the flex. It appears the plastic where the rubber connects is rubbing against the door frame when pressed causing the squeak/rattle.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #264
SomeGuy123
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdanger View Post
I have tick tick tick sound from upper b pillar. It’s not loud but it still annoying. It seems like the sound is coming from the outside or something to do with the door rubbers. I have spent like a month trying to figure it out. I even took of the upper b pillar cover, then I can hear the sound even more.
Appreciate 0