Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications M340i MPE (M Performance Exhaust) installed + sound clips

02-26-2020, 04:55 PM   #199
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymen14 View Post
For those of you that have upgraded their exhaust, what have you done with your old exhaust? Is there a market for a used stock m340i exhaust? It would make the purchase of an MPE easier to justify if I knew I was getting $500-1k back for the old exhaust. Thank you.
I highly doubt there is much of a market. Who would buy it? It's not going to fit on the 330i. The car is too new for people to need replacements on their M340i. I wouldn't bank on getting much, if anything, for the old exhaust.
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2020, 06:50 PM   #200
hockeymen14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf44 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymen14 View Post
For those of you that have upgraded their exhaust, what have you done with your old exhaust? Is there a market for a used stock m340i exhaust? It would make the purchase of an MPE easier to justify if I knew I was getting $500-1k back for the old exhaust. Thank you.
I highly doubt there is much of a market. Who would buy it? It's not going to fit on the 330i. The car is too new for people to need replacements on their M340i. I wouldn't bank on getting much, if anything, for the old exhaust.
That's pretty much what I figured. Thanks for confirming.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #201
Dvs2001
Registered
Rep
Drives: M340i G20

Hello everybody !!!

More video with MPE ?? i want to buy it for my M340i :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:23 PM   #202
longlasting
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvs2001 View Post
Hello everybody !!!

Quote:
Hello everybody !!!

It's one sale on the website has anyone purchased recently ?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #203
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Hello everybody !!!

Check page 9

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:33 PM   #204
longlasting
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just purchased m performance exhaust ! When i install I'll make some vids !
Appreciate 2
Gdiddy23905.50
chenry2346.00
      02-28-2020, 11:37 PM   #205
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlasting View Post
awesome - thank you !!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #206
cywing1119
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
where did you get it? from the bay area dealer?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 01:53 AM   #207
longlasting
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cywing1119 View Post
Quote:
where did you get it? from the bay area dealer?
https://www.bmwpartspros.com

Bank statement shows Steve Thomas bmw.

Sf bmw has it but they We are asking $300 more
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #208
Leadfoot_42
Rep
Drives: Z4, M240i

FWIW, I spent $1700.00 to retrofit the M Perf. Exhaust on my 330i. The sound was worth it but looking at what was done, the only real change was deleting the resonator.

This time I went for the $500 Dinan midpipe on my M240 which does the same thing and sounds at least as good as the M Perf. Only thing missing is the M marking on the tips. I don’t miss it as long as she sings this sweet.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #209
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot_42 View Post
FWIW, I spent $1700.00 to retrofit the M Perf. Exhaust on my 330i. The sound was worth it but looking at what was done, the only real change was deleting the resonator.

This time I went for the $500 Dinan midpipe on my M240 which does the same thing and sounds at least as good as the M Perf. Only thing missing is the M marking on the tips. I don’t miss it as long as she sings this sweet.
yeah it'll be interesting on the M340 it is already dual straight piped from the down pipe back with no resonators so the MPE for this platform is really only a muffler. I've heard first hand an MPE equipped M340 and an M340 with a muffler delete - and they are very very similar
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #210
Leadfoot_42
Rep
Drives: Z4, M240i

Yep, they did actually change the muffler too on the 330i M Perf. Install. But later tests showed me there was no difference with original muffler as far as sound goes. Looked identical too. Someday I’m going to cut them open and look at the guts.

I have way too many used BMW exhaust systems laying about.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #211
longlasting
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:

yeah it'll be interesting on the M340 it is already dual straight piped from the down pipe back with no resonators so the MPE for this platform is really only a muffler. I've heard first hand an MPE equipped M340 and an M340 with a muffler delete - and they are very very similar
Quote:
Quote:

This time I went for the $500 Dinan midpipe on my M240 which does the same thing and sounds at least as good as the M Perf. Only thing missing is the M marking on the tips. I don't miss it as long as she sings this sweet.
So your saying a MPE is nothing more then a muffler that's is hollowed out from bmw
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:38 PM   #212
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This time I went for the $500 Dinan midpipe on my M240 which does the same thing and sounds at least as good as the M Perf. Only thing missing is the M marking on the tips. I don't miss it as long as she sings this sweet.
Quote:
Quote:

So your saying a MPE is nothing more then a muffler that's is hollowed out from bmw
If that's true some people got ripped off
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 01:34 PM   #213
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have no idea what the inside of the MPE muffler looks like
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 05:02 PM   #214
Rocket455
Grumpysaurus Rex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Garage List
1972 Firechicken  [0.00]
1969 Toronado  [0.00]
1970 Camaro  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieA1 View Post
I just had my M Performance exhaust ("MPE") installed today on my m340i. I will be posting videos of the sound when I have time later.

The difference vs. stock is like night and day. On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the best), I would rate this a clear 10. The absolute best modification I've made to the car. The acoustics completely change the character of the car, and perfectly complement the improved driving dynamics of the m340i. Frankly, it makes the car whole. In my opinion, this is an absolutely critical mod if you have a m340i.

The MPE completely blows away the stock exhaust (which I thought was a huge improvement over the F30's base 340i exhaust). I would say that it closely resembles the sounds of the 340i MPPSK. In fact, I think this version of MPE is slightly better than prior versions I've had. As an aside, I would speculate that BMW does not release a power kit for the m340i as its "m" performance moniker means the car already comes power tuned, so purchasing the MPE is the last piece to getting the desired MPPSK effects.

Unfortunately, BMW so far has done a very poor job clearly delineating the MPE vs stock, or even that the MPE exists. But it does exist, as it has a unique part number, carries a hefty price tag (I got a good deal at around $1,400), and it's clearly identified by the MPE branding on the unit (this is an absolute tell-tale sign that it's a MPE). But ultimately it's the sound of the exhaust that validates it's existence.

You can tell the difference immediately on cold start. The car absolutely roars during the initial cold start phase and gradually quiets down to a subtle, but present rumbling sound (that sounds very refined, yet subtlety menacing as it continues to quite down, but hinting at what lies beneath).

Comfort ("C") mode remains civil (as you'd expect from a BMW), but there is a noticeable difference vs. stock. In C mode you barely, if ever, hear any crackles and pops, but there are some slight burbles on down-shift, but it's very subtle. However, what's nice about C mode with MPE, is that the exhaust gives off a nice, satisfying, consistent muffled sound when driving that sounds very sporty, yet refined from a luxury standpoint (absolutely no droning, which is typical of MPE quality).

However, the exhaust takes a 180-degree turn in Sport mode... very beast-like, totally different character. Since I'm still breaking my car in, I haven't yet heard the full extent of the upshift sounds, which I hope will mirror the bark-like, fart-like sound as the C43 AMG does on upshift.

However, it's on downshifts where you can immediately tell the difference vs. stock. I know from experience that each MPE can give off its own unique set of sounds, so I'm not sure if other MPE owners have experienced the same, but my downshift burbles are so prominent, like I've never heard before (and I've owned a few MPEs). The sounds on downshift are a series of very prominent, constant burbles, cracks, pops, each in quick succession. And it doesn't take much effort to elicit these sounds. You can hear them very clearly through the cabin (which is so satisfying and very hooligan-like, I love it). Yet, it's even more prominent outside the car and had garnered the attention of quite a few pedestrians. Also, absolutely no droning, which is what you would expect from BMW.

I have yet to hear any gun shots, but I do expect those to come under harsher driving conditions, once the exhaust has fully broken in, and the temperatures rise. As an aside, I do like the gun shot sounds, but sometimes they come across like a sound you'd here from a jalopy, so I really only like the gun shots in moderation. They definitely catch pedestrians by surprise and can be embarrassing at times, so we'll see how that develops with time. My prior experience has shown that gun shots are most prominent in Sport + mode.

Speaking of Sport +, everything gets amplified by a factor of 2. The cracks, burbles, pops continue in quick succession, but a bit louder. Another sound I love is when the car is in park or neutral, and you press on the gas, the sound that emanates from the exhaust is hard to explain, but it sounds very futuristic-like, with a kind of sonic boom-like sound of raw power (it's readily present, yet subtle and refined). It's really interesting and perfectly encapsulates the character of this thing.

I know I'm waxing poetic about this MPE, but it really is that good. I'm sure the videos I'll load won't do it justice. You just have to experience it yourself in person. If your on the fence about getting one of these, I would advise taking the plunge as you won't be disappointed. It's really satisfying, and money well spent. Again, it makes the m340i complete.
100% agreed on all points, your review is spot on. I had the MPE installed on my M340i at the dealer's after putting about 400 miles on the car. No question in my mind that this exhaust should have come standard on the M340i. As you mentioned, its still pretty tame in Comfort and even regular Sport mode as well, IMO, but Sport Plus, holy hell...TOTAL transformation. I passed the break-in period and consistently flog the everloving snot out of the car, and can't get enough of the gunshots during downshifts and "brraaaaap" sounds at upshifts (yes, I'm reliving my idiotic youth around the period I discovered how BOVs made whooshing noises ). This thing is vicious. I can't even think of driving the car without it now. You really do have to get some seat time in one to fully understand what a change the MPE brings; sounds clips and reviews have their place, but don't do this product full justice. One massive advantage of this exhaust is how incredibly different it sounds based on the driving profile you select. I love being able to switch to Comfort mode when I leave early in the morning and/or return home late at night to avoid pissing off the neighbors. My only gripe: I really wish they packaged the exhaust with proper quad tips and a matching diffuser; I just hate fake tips/grills in general). To anyone on the fence about the MPE: you won't regret it.
      03-04-2020, 06:50 PM   #215
longlasting
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket455 View Post
100% agreed on all points, your review is spot on. I had the MPE installed on my M340i at the dealer's after putting about 400 miles on the car. No question in my mind that this exhaust should have come standard on the M340i. As you mentioned, its still pretty tame in Comfort and even regular Sport mode as well, IMO, but Sport Plus, holy hell...TOTAL transformation. I passed the break-in period and consistently flog the everloving snot out of the car, and can't get enough of the gunshots during downshifts and "brraaaaap" sounds at upshifts (yes, I'm reliving my idiotic youth around the period I discovered how BOVs made whooshing noises ). This thing is vicious. I can't even think of driving the car without it now. You really do have to get some seat time in one to fully understand what a change the MPE brings; sounds clips and reviews have their place, but don't do this product full justice. One massive advantage of this exhaust is how incredibly different it sounds based on the driving profile you select. I love being able to switch to Comfort mode when I leave early in the morning and/or return home late at night to avoid pissing off the neighbors. My only gripe: I really wish they packaged the exhaust with proper quad tips and a matching diffuser; I just hate fake tips/grills in general). To anyone on the fence about the MPE: you won't regret it.
Thanks for your comments about m performance exhaust. I have mine coming Friday.

Sport / Sport+ the valves in the muffler are open the same? or am i wrong?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 08:18 PM   #216
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

This is getting me REALLY excited and impatient To pick my car up. I do kind of wish I had experienced the stock exhaust first to really appreciate the difference, but taking delivery at the Performance Center with it already on the vehicle will just be sublime. And especially cracking through mountain roads around Asheville for a long weekend afterward. AHHHH I CANT WAIT

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #217
mrkrad
Old Geezer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i PB MPE

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket455 View Post
Thanks for your comments about m performance exhaust. I have mine coming Friday.

Sport / Sport+ the valves in the muffler are open the same? or am i wrong?
Sport Plus ++ trans is key to the noise.. I run sport normal in individual and it doesn't make half the pops in that mode!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 09:55 PM   #218
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrad View Post
Sport Plus ++ trans is key to the noise.. I run sport normal in individual and it doesn't make half the pops in that mode!
The valves are open the same, but the engine tuning is different to produce more backfires and such
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 10:06 AM   #219
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

More morsels of MPE sound from instagram...

Appreciate 1
Gdiddy23905.50
      04-09-2020, 06:17 PM   #220
G20Dan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

Dinan just released their axle back system for the M340ix
Appreciate 0