Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition The Running Thread

01-03-2020, 10:33 PM   #23
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I'm still in "free" mode on RK. I kept being tempted to pay for it, hoping I can "reset" my PR periodically. I want to know my fastest time this <insert time frame> where I made some sort of change.

So, RK keeps telling me that if I want to get faster in 5K range, I need to shorten my stride and has a training program to get there. A) I prefer to stretch out longer when I run straight distance. Soccer I take much shorter steps, but it's a different activity. B) I don't have headphones, and certainly not anything I want to wear for a run. At S2TS, I saw these bone-conduction sets. Anyone have good/bad to say about them?
I have two pairs of these, one at home, one in the office.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018XNGQOE/

They work quite well. My hearing isn't the best, and I'm certainly no audiophile, but for watching videos or listening to music quietly, they work very well. If you like lots of base or high volume, they're not the best.

A few cyclists I know use these because they leave the ears open for other noise, like traffic, but I don't want any distractions while riding, so I don't use them on the bike.
Runkeeper needs to tell me pacing info/when to modify for some of the training. I can barely hear split times because I have the phone in my waistband

I sing myself nursery rhymes to distract my mind and keep regular pace. Old McDonald is my go to
      01-04-2020, 04:56 AM   #24
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Yeah, that's strange lmao. But anything out of your mouth doesn't shock me anymore. Once you said that you only sleep like 3-4 hours I night I was like "alright this guy is a maniac" hahaha.
Lol....trust me I wish it were different. But once I wake up....I can't go back to sleep.

And any longer than 4 hours and I literally ache all over getting up. Getting old I guess.

My Dr once told me that carrying too much muscle could affect my circulation depending on the type of mattress I used and what position I slept in.

That's one of the bigger reasons I started down-sizing the last couple of years!
      01-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #25
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyRyan2019 View Post
I wish I could still run. Too many injuries and surgeries for that. Now I just walk. But I do walk 6 to 9 miles every day (2 to 3 hours) not matter how hot or cold it is ( last winter I walked 2.5 hours in -28 F air temp / -45 wind chill). If you dress for it with layers, hand and foot warmers and a face mask and stocking cap it is not all that bad. Yes, that is a lot of miles to walk, well over 2,100 miles a year.
"Object in motion stays in motion" is one of my motivational quotes. Walking is definitely 100% better than doing nothing! So, good for you - keep it up! And 6 to 9 miles is no joke, btw. I got my wife handwarmers for when she goes for long walks in the cold - she uses them for hands, feet, etc. haha

Quote:
I run on the side. Main focus is lifting, although I feel I'm in decent running shape. Just checked my Garmin, had just over 500 miles running last year.

Garmin tracks my personal bests, I don't necessarily set many running goals.
Best 5k: 22:30
Best 10k: 48:02
Farthest run: 6.31miles (I get bored running that long I'll be honest lol)
That's great - and those times are nothing to laugh at either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrider1 View Post
Did about 1200 miles for 2019.
Fastest 5k was like 18 mins. I did a 25k at a 7:05 pace last year. Hoping to do that at 6:55 pace this year. I lift in the mornings and run 6 days a week. Yoga a couple days during the week. I just turned 40 and I am feeling great.

Running is just part of my fitness routine so I can drink beer and lots of it on Saturday.
Those are really quick times! My 5k best last year was 19:xx... I'm looking to hit 18:xx this year. So it looks like I'm one year behind you! haha And totally agree on the beer thing - running/strengthwork/working out are basically done so that I can eat and drink (relatively) what I want. I could get more serious and faster, but I am having too much fun with life right now!

Quote:
I'm still in "free" mode on RK. I kept being tempted to pay for it, hoping I can "reset" my PR periodically. I want to know my fastest time this <insert time frame> where I made some sort of change.

So, RK keeps telling me that if I want to get faster in 5K range, I need to shorten my stride and has a training program to get there. A) I prefer to stretch out longer when I run straight distance. Soccer I take much shorter steps, but it's a different activity. B) I don't have headphones, and certainly not anything I want to wear for a run. At S2TS, I saw these bone-conduction sets. Anyone have good/bad to say about them?
I have two sets of those bone-conduction headphones. I bought one for me and one for my wife. She uses them all the time, but I never used mine (didn't even open the box). I tried hers on and hated them. I felt like I had to have them maxed out to hear anything, but maybe that's just the amount of fat between the headphones and my bones? I should've returned my set...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I don't get people who run in the dark on a dark road with no reflective gear on, no lights and i'm suppose to see them?
That is a pet peeve of mine. I just got the Noxgear vest, so I am going to be almost literally the opposite! Super excited to try it out.

Quote:
Runkeeper needs to tell me pacing info/when to modify for some of the training. I can barely hear split times because I have the phone in my waistband

I sing myself nursery rhymes to distract my mind and keep regular pace. Old McDonald is my go to
Same. I love the pacing info from RK. I listen to music if I'm running on the treadmill 100% of the time. Outside - only if I'm running alone.
      01-04-2020, 02:10 PM   #26
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I wonder if people think their shoes will reflect.

I think most running shoes have reflective spots
There's a park down here by the river and there's absolutely no lights at all and its pitch black with deer running all over the place. The roads are curvy as you can't see what's around the corner until your in it. The stupid part is there's a bike trail only a couple of miles down the road which is about 50+ miles that they can run in. Instead they think it's a good idea to put their life on the line and run on the main road with no shoulder, in the dark with no reflective gear or light markers. So to protect myself I drive with my high beams on and blind the shit out of them not to be a dick but that's just common sense or they don't give 2 efs for their own safety
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      01-05-2020, 12:33 AM   #27
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
"Object in motion stays in motion" is one of my motivational quotes. Walking is definitely 100% better than doing nothing! So, good for you - keep it up! And 6 to 9 miles is no joke, btw. I got my wife handwarmers for when she goes for long walks in the cold - she uses them for hands, feet, etc. haha
I have hand warmers and toe warmers with insulated winter hiking boots. Between that and layers I stay plenty warm. Earphones and a thermos of coffee or tea and I am all set!
      01-06-2020, 09:14 AM   #28
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

I hit 25 miles on the year so far yesterday. Baby steps...
      01-06-2020, 11:25 AM   #29
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

I was challenged almost a decade ago to try a 10k and embraced endurance sports as a whole as a result, haven't stopped since

I'm primarily a road cyclist now days, but maintain some running fitness and run a few trail and road races in the fall off-season, after racing bikes all summer.

I think most people so far sound like road runners primarily, any trail folks in here?
      01-06-2020, 08:10 PM   #30
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
I was challenged almost a decade ago to try a 10k and embraced endurance sports as a whole as a result, haven't stopped since

I'm primarily a road cyclist now days, but maintain some running fitness and run a few trail and road races in the fall off-season, after racing bikes all summer.

I think most people so far sound like road runners primarily, any trail folks in here?
I do some off road/MTB tris, and those usually involve trail runs. Lots of fun.
      01-07-2020, 09:52 AM   #31
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
I do some off road/MTB tris, and those usually involve trail runs. Lots of fun.
This sounds pretty damn cool. If i ever attempted a triathlon, perhaps this would be it!
      01-07-2020, 10:26 PM   #32
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Almost another PR tonight. Missed by about 10 seconds. I got all sloppy on my arm form and was just flailing to finish. Got home and my blood sugar was only 47. That is a big reason I limit my distance to 3-4 miles, although I'm half considering a team half marathon next December for Santa
      01-08-2020, 07:55 AM   #33
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

This is a great thread, I will say for everyone out there find a race distance you like and sign up. Signing up for a race is a prime way to stick with running goals as you are shooting to accomplish something. I remember all the races I did last year as there was so many from 5k to half marathon. It wasnt until I signed up for a full marathon that I thought....ok its time to really train now. 13 miles is one thing but 26 miles is another ball game as a lot of science in the body changes after 90 minutes of running and if you dont know that you can fail miserably. So I thought, No more 40 miles a week and ramped it up to 70 miles a week with speed training, Hill training, tempo runs etc. Little did I know where I stood in the pack of performance when I qualified for Boston on my first try in a marathon....i was pumped....and that was only the beginning. I cant stress enough to anyone getting into running or training for a race to train smart...dont run EVERYDAY and play it smart. If anyone ever needs tips or advice and is on Garmin shoot me a PM and I can add you in. I provide training support and guidance based on seeing your workouts. And dont forget FOOD is the key to great performance. Cheers Everyone and Happy Running, Be Safe out there!
Appreciate 2
dc503131.00
cotmfk2023.50
      01-08-2020, 09:56 AM   #34
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
This is a great thread, I will say for everyone out there find a race distance you like and sign up. Signing up for a race is a prime way to stick with running goals as you are shooting to accomplish something. I remember all the races I did last year as there was so many from 5k to half marathon. It wasnt until I signed up for a full marathon that I thought....ok its time to really train now. 13 miles is one thing but 26 miles is another ball game as a lot of science in the body changes after 90 minutes of running and if you dont know that you can fail miserably. So I thought, No more 40 miles a week and ramped it up to 70 miles a week with speed training, Hill training, tempo runs etc. Little did I know where I stood in the pack of performance when I qualified for Boston on my first try in a marathon....i was pumped....and that was only the beginning. I cant stress enough to anyone getting into running or training for a race to train smart...dont run EVERYDAY and play it smart. If anyone ever needs tips or advice and is on Garmin shoot me a PM and I can add you in. I provide training support and guidance based on seeing your workouts. And dont forget FOOD is the key to great performance. Cheers Everyone and Happy Running, Be Safe out there!
A lot of good advice that spans all endurance disciplines

Finding structure is great and motivation (and smart), I always stress ensuring you enjoy it somehow, some way, no matter what too though. For some it's training, for some it's being outside, general fitness/health. I like the training process, but I can get easily motivated by just wanting to run in a new pair of Nike Vaporfly's haha.
      01-09-2020, 08:37 AM   #35
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately can't see myself doing a full marathon anytime soon haha. I think I could manage a half, but training for that would put a damper on my lifting routine. Maybe one day when I get bored of lifting, but after almost a decade the passion for it is still there.

I believe the most I've ever ran in a week was around 30 miles, so nothing too crazy. Although I'm getting back into running now as I'm cutting an prepping for my wedding in Sept.

In regards to the topic, Charleston Marathon is this weekend, so that'll be something. It's going to cut off my route to work and trap me there if I go in Saturday, so give me a good excuse to take off haha. Also circles my gym so I have to find a way to get there!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 10:32 AM   #36
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Unfortunately can't see myself doing a full marathon anytime soon haha. I think I could manage a half, but training for that would put a damper on my lifting routine. Maybe one day when I get bored of lifting, but after almost a decade the passion for it is still there.

I believe the most I've ever ran in a week was around 30 miles, so nothing too crazy. Although I'm getting back into running now as I'm cutting an prepping for my wedding in Sept.

In regards to the topic, Charleston Marathon is this weekend, so that'll be something. It's going to cut off my route to work and trap me there if I go in Saturday, so give me a good excuse to take off haha. Also circles my gym so I have to find a way to get there!

That's right!!! You have a wedding coming up.

I have been meaning to ask and keep forgetting, but how is Charleston treating you? I hope the transition was easy. I love that place and we go every year multiple times although I'm sure I already mentioned that.
      01-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #37
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
That's right!!! You have a wedding coming up.

I have been meaning to ask and keep forgetting, but how is Charleston treating you? I hope the transition was easy. I love that place and we go every year multiple times although I'm sure I already mentioned that.
Everything has been great man, love my new job although I am working a lot more then my old job. But at my last job I almost worked too little, didn't feel much fulfillment. Love where we live, commute is nice and easy. Food has really put a hurting on my wallet since there are an infinite number of great restaurants haha. No more snow or more importantly salt on my car so that has been great as well. All in all I'm happy with my decision and everything is moving in the right direction!

Lot of planning for the wedding, but thankfully my fiance is great with all of that and really enjoys the planning. She found a job right off the bat too which was awesome. A coworker at her last job (in New Jersey) actually interviewed and was offered a job at the company she now works at so she had some connections! Small world haha.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      01-15-2020, 09:09 AM   #38
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

New 10k road race record set this past weekend - 26:24 by Rhonex Kipruto. That's flying!
      01-15-2020, 09:48 AM   #39
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
New 10k road race record set this past weekend - 26:24 by Rhonex Kipruto. That's flying!
That IS unreal fast! I can't even fathom it.
      01-17-2020, 09:42 AM   #40
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

My first races of the year will be in April - three 5ks and one 10 miler. Having a race to plan for is definitely helpful for motivation!
      01-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #41
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I only need to cut 3:05 off to be HALF as fast in HALF the distance.

Next year.

So I have been adjusting my stride to be much shorter, for my 3-4 mile distances. I can't give all the credit for the reduced times to just new shoes, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #42
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So I have been adjusting my stride to be much shorter, for my 3-4 mile distances. I can't give all the credit for the reduced times to just new shoes, right?
I'm always curious about this topic actually. I'm a chronic over-strider myself, I made a pretty conscious effort to shorten up recently and it seems to strongly correlate to more relative efficiency and lower perceived effort (HR/pace) for me. I'm actually doing my quickest running with not as much training volume comparatively.

Do you pay much attention to spm or more just stride length? I've definitely seen positive results in hunting for 180 spm.

With that said, you mentioned shoes. That's a whole can of worms I love thinking about, because I am a gear nerd lol. What are you typically wearing?
      01-20-2020, 06:51 PM   #43
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

When I shorten up, it seems to be a significant change in spm. And that is wreaking HAVOC with my breathing. I'm finding myself winded about 3/4 way thru my normal distance. Over the decades I have matched a complete breath cycle to 8 steps. But when my steps are this much shorter I can get as much volume in/out. I did cut :28 off my 5k from a month ago though

I did the last 1/2 alternating short and long according to telephone poles
      01-29-2020, 08:27 AM   #44
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Surprise rest day for me from running today - but I was due for a day off.

Definitely on pace for my yearly goal so far.