Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Recoding a G20 after relocating it to a different country

01-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
Satchnz
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Recoding a G20 after relocating it to a different country

Hi,

I’ve done a little coding in the past on an F20 (changed start/stop button behaviour, auto folding mirrors, increased the one touch indicator time etc), and updated the maps on my F25. So I’m not a complete noob, but not far from it lol.

I’ll be moving to the UK next year for two years and am considering taking advantage of the lower car prices there (compared to my home country New Zealand). Looking to maybe purchasing a near new G20 330i for use while I am in the UK, then importing it to New Zealand when I return there to live (have done preliminary numbers and it will stack up). Having owned it for more than 12 months and then bringing it “with me” means I won’t have to pay sales tax on the value of the car. This is what tips the deal in my favour but I digress...

I’m interested to understand what is required to recode the car for a change of country, outside of the user available options. Am I able to update the navigation maps via USB as per the Fxx range? Are there any gotchas that I need to be aware of (such as I will lose the ability to use certain features or functions)?

Both UK and NZ drive on the same side of the road so no issues there. And safety/emissions requirements won’t be an issue either. As I intend to purchase it near new, and I won’t be living in an area that snows much if at all, I’ll have full control over its ongoing cleanliness so don’t see the rust concerns to be an issue.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Maps and connected drive might need to be updated but Im not sure about anything else. Pretty sure it would be pretty simple.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 10:45 PM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchnz View Post
Hi,

I’ve done a little coding in the past on an F20 (changed start/stop button behaviour, auto folding mirrors, increased the one touch indicator time etc), and updated the maps on my F25. So I’m not a complete noob, but not far from it lol.

I’ll be moving to the UK next year for two years and am considering taking advantage of the lower car prices there (compared to my home country New Zealand). Looking to maybe purchasing a near new G20 330i for use while I am in the UK, then importing it to New Zealand when I return there to live (have done preliminary numbers and it will stack up). Having owned it for more than 12 months and then bringing it “with me” means I won’t have to pay sales tax on the value of the car. This is what tips the deal in my favour but I digress...

I’m interested to understand what is required to recode the car for a change of country, outside of the user available options. Am I able to update the navigation maps via USB as per the Fxx range? Are there any gotchas that I need to be aware of (such as I will lose the ability to use certain features or functions)?

Both UK and NZ drive on the same side of the road so no issues there. And safety/emissions requirements won’t be an issue either. As I intend to purchase it near new, and I won’t be living in an area that snows much if at all, I’ll have full control over its ongoing cleanliness so don’t see the rust concerns to be an issue.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
UK and EU use DAB. Not sure about frequencies and transmissions in NZ.

The SIM in the ATM2 would most likely be an issue was well.

New Codes for Maps...and not sure what would happen with OTA map updates either as your Connected Drive Account would be for a different Continent.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
Satchnz
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

Are these things that have solutions? e.g. would BMW be likely to offer a service to update Connected Drive and maps for a fee?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #5
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Are these things that have solutions? e.g. would BMW be likely to offer a service to update Connected Drive and maps for a fee?

Thanks.
Yes depending on region and stuff. Pretty sure maps are like 300 Euro. Not sure for connected drive.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #6
Satchnz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6bullet View Post
Yes depending on region and stuff. Pretty sure maps are like 300 Euro. Not sure for connected drive.
Ok, thanks for your help. Seems encouraging. I might contact BMW now to see what they will offer and how many millions they’ll charge...
Appreciate 2
A6bullet336.00
hoyas490131.50
      01-17-2020, 03:59 AM   #7
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

For a proper change you would need to change region in VO, for that fsc is needed and code the entire car, there are several aftermarket solutions available. Connected drive will not work in New Zeland, your only solution would be to code the car to use internet over your phone.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:40 AM   #8
Satchnz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
For a proper change you would need to change region in VO, for that fsc is needed and code the entire car, there are several aftermarket solutions available. Connected drive will not work in New Zeland, your only solution would be to code the car to use internet over your phone.
Thanks for your reply. Why do you say Connected Drive will not work in New Zealand?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 04:05 PM   #9
Satchnz
Rep

mrgicm Keen to understand why you say that Connected Drive will not work in New Zealand. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:03 PM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
Thanks for your reply. Why do you say Connected Drive will not work in New Zealand?
Sim and Wireless provider different.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 08:09 AM   #11
Satchnz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
So it is being suggested that the SIM card in the new BMW three series is a SIM card that won’t work on any other mobile network nor wireless provider other than a specific one in the UK?

I’m aware that I might have to contact BMW New Zealand to get them to register the car SIM on the NZ network, but going by the brief one sentence replies I am getting, I really don’t know what is guess work vs known fact. I’m therefore no closer to understanding if what I want to do is viable or not.

Is anyone with a decent knowledge of this stuff able to help me please? If not, is there another BMW forum somewhere that would be more appropriate for my questions?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #12
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So it is being suggested that the SIM card in the new BMW three series is a SIM card that won’t work on any other mobile network nor wireless provider other than a specific one in the UK?

I’m aware that I might have to contact BMW New Zealand to get them to register the car SIM on the NZ network, but going by the brief one sentence replies I am getting, I really don’t know what is guess work vs known fact. I’m therefore no closer to understanding if what I want to do is viable or not.

Is anyone with a decent knowledge of this stuff able to help me please? If not, is there another BMW forum somewhere that would be more appropriate for my questions?

Thanks again.
What wireless provider does BMW use for New Zealand.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 01:55 PM   #13
Satchnz
Rep

Quote:
I believe they use the Vodafone network in NZ. But isn’t the more relevant question what frequencies or bands does the SIM and modem support? This I am not sure about.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #14
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I believe they use the Vodafone network in NZ. But isn’t the more relevant question what frequencies or bands does the SIM and modem support? This I am not sure about.
There is an ATM for USA, ECE, CHN, RUS and ROW. A UK car would have ATM with ECE Bands. Oceania would get ROW car with different bands.

So it would have wrong ATM and in BMW System for a UK Car.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 09:11 PM   #15
Satchnz
Rep

Quote:
There is an ATM for USA, ECE, CHN, RUS and ROW. A UK car would have ATM with ECE Bands. Oceania would get ROW car with different bands.

Ok, and there is no known way around this or workaround other than using my mobile phone as suggested earlier?

Also what does ATM stand for?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 09:27 PM   #16
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ok, and there is no known way around this or workaround other than using my mobile phone as suggested earlier?

Also what does ATM stand for?
The Telematics Control Box. The "cellphone" of the car as well as guts of the HU MGU including connection points for the external antennas.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 05:30 PM   #17
Satchnz
Rep

Quote:
The Telematics Control Box. The "cellphone" of the car as well as guts of the HU MGU including connection points for the external antennas.
So without a non-viable hardware change I’ll never get everything working? That’s disappointing :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:06 PM   #18
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So without a non-viable hardware change I’ll never get everything working? That’s disappointing :-(
Another thing you need to know is what LTE Network BMW Connected Drive uses in New Zealand.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 01:00 AM   #19
Satchnz
Rep

Quote:
Another thing you need to know is what LTE Network BMW Connected Drive uses in New Zealand.
Why is that relevant if the cellular hardware in a UK BMW is not compatible with the NZ mobile network?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 01:06 AM   #20
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Why is that relevant if the cellular hardware in a UK BMW is not compatible with the NZ mobile network?
That's what you need to know.

If BMW Connected Drive in UK uses Vodafone (as several have suggested), this is where it work seem to work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 01:15 AM   #21
Satchnz
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 01:18 AM   #22
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Because you obviously fail to realize how wireless networks work.

It might be compatible equipment wise. It might not. But being compatible is only half the issue.

BMW will not be paying for you to roam in New Zealand in your UK car.

Different Countries and Companies use different LTE Bands and different modulation schemes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0