BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions G20 Grill Replacement Guide

08-27-2020, 08:29 PM   #67
alienz
Rep
Drives: G20 320i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340_pilot View Post
So I followed toffee_g's write up from page 2. Great instructions. Mine also took maybe 20 mins and that was with applying ceramic coat to the new grill. Once I started working the top tabs loose it came off pretty easy. I'm wondering if because it was still so warm from my drive home that made it easier.
Looks great! I never thought about that, but it might be one of those things, getting the car warm. The car hasn't been drove for more than a day when i changed the grille.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 09:07 PM   #68
M340_pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniongc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M340_pilot View Post
So I followed toffee_g's write up from page 2. Great instructions. Mine also took maybe 20 mins and that was with applying ceramic coat to the new grill. Once I started working the top tabs loose it came off pretty easy. I'm wondering if because it was still so warm from my drive home that made it easier.
Looks good. What's the ceramic coat you used!
I used Adams Ceramic Paint kit the first time I applied it in November. I wanted to make sure I actually had good coverage so I bought and applied the Adams UV ceramic coating a couple months after that. Just turn off all the garage lights and you can see if you missed any spots with a UV flashlight.

Sorry, short answer is the Adams UV ceramic coating.
      08-27-2020, 09:32 PM   #69
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienz View Post
Looks great! I never thought about that, but it might be one of those things, getting the car warm. The car hasn't been drove for more than a day when i changed the grille.
Same here. I hadn't driven the car in two three days. Maybe thats why?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #70
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

I've been at it for over an hour... I can't get the side tab on the right out for the life of me. I can't get any of the top clips to fully separate from the tabs, either. Just stuck under the slots and I can't pull them out any farther.

When you say "force" was needed, how strong are you? I'm 1 step up from skin and bones. I managed to pull on the left side hard enough to get the side tab out (and a bottom one), but I also broke some thin plastic parts of the housing closer to the engine... I've been giving the right side like 80% and it won't come out. The Kies video makes it look so easy... Mine seems to have a much tighter fit. 50/50 on pulling until it comes out or breaks, or throwing in the towel today and trying to warm it up before the next attempt.

Maybe I need to push the left side back in and try working the top tabs evenly? Looks like the clips will only fit through the middle sections?
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #71
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
I've been at it for over an hour... I can't get the side tab on the right out for the life of me. I can't get any of the top clips to fully separate from the tabs, either. Just stuck under the slots and I can't pull them out any farther.

When you say "force" was needed, how strong are you? I'm 1 step up from skin and bones. I managed to pull on the left side hard enough to get the side tab out (and a bottom one), but I also broke some thin plastic parts of the housing closer to the engine... I've been giving the right side like 80% and it won't come out. The Kies video makes it look so easy... Mine seems to have a much tighter fit. 50/50 on pulling until it comes out or breaks, or throwing in the towel today and trying to warm it up before the next attempt.

Maybe I need to push the left side back in and try working the top tabs evenly? Looks like the clips will only fit through the middle sections?
Yup. The keis video is misleading when it comes to easiness of install. The clip on the side is the worst.

To get about it, you need to shine a light and look at the clip. It has to be pushed a certain way (I can't remember which way now) to get it to unclip. Shine the light and use your finger/trim removal tool to see how you have to push to separate it and get it out. Also make sure it's the correct clip. There are two clips nearby. One is to separate the chrome trim from the black trim on the grill itself which you don't need. The other clip is the clip from the grill to the body panel of the car. That's the one you need to undo.
And yes. If you get frustrated, it becomes worse. I got frustrated at first. But then I realized nothing was happening. So I calmed down and tried with a clear head. That helped Once you get one of the side clips and the clips on the top and bottom out, the other one comes out easily.
And yes. The top clips are frustrating too. Unhook one, move to the next and the one you unhooked clips back on place. You have to pull hard enough to separate the clip almost completely so it doesn't go back. Easy if there are two people doing it.

And yes. Undo the clips on top first. Then remove the one on the left (when you're facing the car). The bottom ones come out easily.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #72
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Yup. The keis video is misleading when it comes to easiness of install. The clip on the side is the worst.

To get about it, you need to shine a light and look at the clip. It has to be pushed a certain way (I can't remember which way now) to get it to unclip. Shine the light and use your finger/trim removal tool to see how you have to push to separate it and get it out. Also make sure it's the correct clip. There are two clips nearby. One is to separate the chrome trim from the black trim on the grill itself which you don't need. The other clip is the clip from the grill to the body panel of the car. That's the one you need to undo.
And yes. If you get frustrated, it becomes worse. I got frustrated at first. But then I realized nothing was happening. So I calmed down and tried with a clear head. That helped Once you get one of the side clips and the clips on the top and bottom out, the other one comes out easily.
And yes. The top clips are frustrating too. Unhook one, move to the next and the one you unhooked clips back on place. You have to pull hard enough to separate the clip almost completely so it doesn't go back. Easy if there are two people doing it.

And yes. Undo the clips on top first. Then remove the one on the left (when you're facing the car). The bottom ones come out easily.
I did get the left side clip out, but could not get the right side to budge. I looked at the new grill to see the clips in detail, but I couldn't push hard enough on the clip to get it out. Maybe if I had the right kind of trim removal tool.

I got a call and had to put it back together, so it's on hold for now... I have a service appointment on the 20th (for iDrive "issues" AKA install 07/2020 please thanks), so I'll see what they quote me to swap the grill. Thanks for the info. I'm prepared for a BS quote and re-attempting the job myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 10:45 PM   #73
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did get the left side clip out, but could not get the right side to budge. I looked at the new grill to see the clips in detail, but I couldn't push hard enough on the clip to get it out. Maybe if I had the right kind of trim removal tool.

I got a call and had to put it back together, so it's on hold for now... I have a service appointment on the 20th (for iDrive "issues" AKA install 07/2020 please thanks), so I'll see what they quote me to swap the grill. Thanks for the info. I'm prepared for a BS quote and re-attempting the job myself.
If you got the clip on the left out, move to the clips on the top. Once you get those out, the bottom ones just pop off without you having to do anything. I was left with the clip on the right still in place and the rest of the grill dangling. A little wiggling and some pushing and I managed to get that one out too.
The clips on top need some extra force to separate far enough for it to stay unclipped. Else they just clip back into place.
I believe someone mentioned somewhere that the dealer charged them $50 to swap the grills out? $50 isn't too bad. Any more and I'd probably try a DIY again.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #74
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you got the clip on the left out, move to the clips on the top. Once you get those out, the bottom ones just pop off without you having to do anything. I was left with the clip on the right still in place and the rest of the grill dangling. A little wiggling and some pushing and I managed to get that one out too.
The clips on top need some extra force to separate far enough for it to stay unclipped. Else they just clip back into place.
I believe someone mentioned somewhere that the dealer charged them $50 to swap the grills out? $50 isn't too bad. Any more and I'd probably try a DIY again.
They quoted me $520 to swap the grill, lol. 'Someone told you $50? At a dealer? It is not a 10-minute job.' For $520 I would try it myself, even if the bumper needed to come off... I guess they don't have a tech there who has done it, or they don't care about small jobs.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 02:49 PM   #75
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmoldofsky View Post
I just replaced my grill, thanks so much for the guide pictures -- it helped IMMENSELY. One thing I struggled with at first was trying to remove the entire plastic pin AND it's circular shroud -- if you are confused on this, as I was, JUST remove the pin from the middle of each circular piece!

QUESTION: Some of you posted pics where the door frames were blacked out as well -- did you wrap with vinyl? plastidip? or replacement parts? (etc)...

Thanks!
I think this is the first all black Sport I have seen and what a difference it makes
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
hi Cosmo just did mine along with bumper trim and pedals
Are those OEM pedals? As I bought OEM ones that were for the Fx as I thought they would fit and found the footrest to large and the accelerator too small and was then informed that the M Sport pedals are a different size to the Sport's which i assume meant that they are the same size as the Fx
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #76
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They quoted me $520 to swap the grill, lol. 'Someone told you $50? At a dealer? It is not a 10-minute job.' For $520 I would try it myself, even if the bumper needed to come off... I guess they don't have a tech there who has done it, or they don't care about small jobs.
What!!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #77
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd laugh and just walk away without saying a word. If it was over the phone, I'd say Thank you and hang up immediately without waiting for what they have to say.

Did you try removing the grill again?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #78
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
What!!
My exact response...

Quote:
I'd laugh and just walk away without saying a word. If it was over the phone, I'd say Thank you and hang up immediately without waiting for what they have to say.

Did you try removing the grill again?
Over the phone. The SA had to 'find out' and call me later with a quote. I said, "What!? Five hundred??? Don't do it then..."
For $520, it would make more sense to just destroy it and buy a replacement for the lease return... I've seen some of their techs on lunch breaks. Maybe they are factoring in the 2 hour extended lunch break for 3 hours of labor total?

Haven't picked up the car yet; was told it would be ready before the end of the day. Don't think applying an update would take more than an hour or so, but they are very busy. 3-4 appointments scheduled per 15 minute slot. Will re-attempt install if necessary when the weather permits (Thursday). Vinyl for the chrome window trim delete just came in, too.

Anyone know a place that would do the grill swap? Anywhere on Long Island, as far west as NYC.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      10-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #79
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My exact response...

Over the phone. The SA had to 'find out' and call me later with a quote. I said, "What!? Five hundred??? Don't do it then..."
For $520, it would make more sense to just destroy it and buy a replacement for the lease return... I've seen some of their techs on lunch breaks. Maybe they are factoring in the 2 hour extended lunch break for 3 hours of labor total?

Haven't picked up the car yet; was told it would be ready before the end of the day. Don't think applying an update would take more than an hour or so, but they are very busy. 3-4 appointments scheduled per 15 minute slot. Will re-attempt install if necessary when the weather permits (Thursday). Vinyl for the chrome window trim delete just came in, too.

Anyone know a place that would do the grill swap? Anywhere on Long Island, as far west as NYC.
Google bmw workshops around your area and ask them for quotes?
I believe it was in this forum that someone said the tech replaced it in like 10-15 mins? 3 hrs for a grill change? Even I didn't take an hour for my first time! And I'm someone with zero technical knowledge.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #80
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Google bmw workshops around your area and ask them for quotes?
I believe it was in this forum that someone said the tech replaced it in like 10-15 mins? 3 hrs for a grill change? Even I didn't take an hour for my first time! And I'm someone with zero technical knowledge.
I reached out to one so far and they said 'uhh we mostly work on engines' lol. I'll call more tomorrow. I changed my exhaust tips in a few minutes, but I really feel like the grill on my car is tighter than normal. Granted, swapping the exhaust tips is a 1/10 in difficulty, but I don't think I'm 100% useless with my hands.

Anyways, thanks for all the input. Next post will be pics after the install, however it's done.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      10-20-2020, 07:56 PM   #81
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I reached out to one so far and they said 'uhh we mostly work on engines' lol. I'll call more tomorrow. I changed my exhaust tips in a few minutes, but I really feel like the grill on my car is tighter than normal. Granted, swapping the exhaust tips is a 1/10 in difficulty, but I don't think I'm 100% useless with my hands.

Anyways, thanks for all the input. Next post will be pics after the install, however it's done.
Don't lose patience. And I urge you to tape the bumper where the grill meets it. Else you'll chip the paint.
Get the side one out again if you can. Pull the top clips out completely, one by one. A trim removal tool is very helpful. When you undo the first one, pull till it separates completely (undo two clips at a time and pull the first one out completely before moving to the third clip). Easy if you have an extra pair of hands to help you.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 12:08 AM   #82
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
My dealership quoted me 1/2 hr of labour so 72.50 to swap the grills. I ended up doing it myself. I've swapped my grill out twice now. Started at the top clips then did the left and right side and the bottom came right out. I had to use a bit of force when pulling the left side but after that it was fairly straight forward.
Couple of grill shots. I tried the black diamond the the vertical slats. Stuck with the latter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:14 PM   #83
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My exact response...

Yes that's absolute joke of a quote, a stealership is defo what they are.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #84
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't lose patience. And I urge you to tape the bumper where the grill meets it. Else you'll chip the paint.
Get the side one out again if you can. Pull the top clips out completely, one by one. A trim removal tool is very helpful. When you undo the first one, pull till it separates completely (undo two clips at a time and pull the first one out completely before moving to the third clip). Easy if you have an extra pair of hands to help you.
Mission failed successfully! I gave it 10 more minutes, got stuck in the same place, then called for help. Much easier with 2 pairs hands, but we noticed 2 things:

1. The clips were pretty tight and hard to get fully through the slots. Had to use a lot of force and push them down with a screwdriver, even after pulling them out partially. I think a trim removal tool would have helped here, as you said.

2. It took more force than I would be able to exert with one arm used holding down a clip if I were doing it alone. He said he gave it about 80 pounds of force.

I did follow your advice and tape it, and that may have saved my paint. It definitely came off at a downward angle and easily could have hit the paint. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!
Please excuse the holes in the bumper. I don't know why dealers put these horrible, horrible plastic plate guards on such beautiful cars. Especially with such big screws... I will switch to a thin frame or no frame once I get my actual plates--still on temps.
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1936.50
OM3RTA391.00
      10-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #85
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mission failed successfully! I gave it 10 more minutes, got stuck in the same place, then called for help. Much easier with 2 pairs hands, but we noticed 2 things:

1. The clips were pretty tight and hard to get fully through the slots. Had to use a lot of force and push them down with a screwdriver, even after pulling them out partially. I think a trim removal tool would have helped here, as you said.

2. It took more force than I would be able to exert with one arm used holding down a clip if I were doing it alone. He said he gave it about 80 pounds of force.

I did follow your advice and tape it, and that may have saved my paint. It definitely came off at a downward angle and easily could have hit the paint. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!
Please excuse the holes in the bumper. I don't know why dealers put these horrible, horrible plastic plate guards on such beautiful cars. Especially with such big screws... I will switch to a thin frame or no frame once I get my actual plates--still on temps.
Congratulations!

And wow. Your car looks exactly like mine! I don't have 4 holes though. Only two. And I agree. I partly blame BMW though for not providing pre-drilled holes with a cover (a la Audi).

I have a thin silicone frame for my rear plate that I bought from autozone. Works well. Amazon has some good ones too.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2020, 06:51 PM   #86
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congratulations!

And wow. Your car looks exactly like mine! I don't have 4 holes though. Only two. And I agree. I partly blame BMW though for not providing pre-drilled holes with a cover (a la Audi).

I have a thin silicone frame for my rear plate that I bought from autozone. Works well. Amazon has some good ones too.
Thank you and nice taste!

I saw mixed reviews for all the different silicone frames. Might stop by autozone to gauge the quality in person. Either silicone or a regular frame with some foam tape.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 07:11 PM   #87
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you and nice taste!

I saw mixed reviews for all the different silicone frames. Might stop by autozone to gauge the quality in person. Either silicone or a regular frame with some foam tape.
Mine looks like this
Attached Images

2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 07:44 PM   #88
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine looks like this
Looks pretty good. Will stop by autozone soon.

I like the blacked out 330i and xDrive badge delete. Considering deleting both on mine. I don't mind the red reflectors, though, given that they fit the design and somewhat match the tail lights. Window trim will be blacked out soon.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0