Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

09-20-2023, 11:23 AM   #1
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Drivetrain Malfunction, WTF?

We were speeding to the I4 this morning to get my daughter to the school bus stop on time and as soon as I opened the door got this message.

I closed the message and tried to turn the car on but got some "Power Supply" issue message. I didn't take a picture of it since we were in a hurry. We abandoned the I4 in the garage and moved on to our reliable X1 (yes I had to put in the word "reliable"). I put the word reliable in there not because this is an EV but because automakers think everyone wants so much technology in their vehicle. I prefer to leave my laptop at home and my phone stored out of sight when driving.

Made it to the bus stop on time, came back home. Had breakfast. Went out to check the I4. Opted to lock the car, unlock and get in and see what happened. No issue now. Car will power up and go into drive and reverse. I assume this is a software bug, has anyone else experienced this? State of Charge is 57% and haven't plugged it in in about six days.

The first thing my wife said to me while eating breakfast "Our Leaf never did this". We had a 2013 Nissan Leaf that we love dearly (now living with my dad in Texas with 80K+ miles).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-20-2023, 07:42 PM   #2
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Software issue, fixed in 07/2023.40. This should come via OTA soon, or you can go to a dealer for a software upgrade since it’s been released to the dealers.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2023, 09:05 PM   #3
MadAboutCars
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

I thought that was supposed to be fixed in the 03/2023.53 OTA update
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 11:10 AM   #4
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Updating on this.
So was able to drive the car a couple of times before it did this to me again (left me stranded down the street at the bus stop this time) so I was able to walk home. Called roadside assistance and it took all day to get the car picked up. I actually walked back to the car and was able to power it on and bring it home about 30 minutes after I left it. If I was on a road trip or out on the road I'd be ticked at how long it took.

The I4 spent the weekend at the dealer (Friday evening to Tuesday) and they just did a software update (total reflash from what I can tell cause most of our settings got wiped).

From what I can piece together the reason the fault appeared is because I stopped plugging the car in every day or every other day (I was doing an experiment to see how long it would take for me to plug it in at home again, essentially treating it like a gasoline vehicle and only plugging in when it need to be "refilled".) This is the only thing I had done different over the last few months since our last over the air software update.

Will update if anything else occurs.

Few things I noticed immediately from the update-
New fonts on the screens
The weird shapes and stuff on the heads up display is gone
Appreciate 0