Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Buttons near gear selector don't work

03-18-2024, 10:00 AM   #1
Steezychris
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Buttons near gear selector don't work

Hey guys, this is my first post on here. I have a 2020 330i and I noticed my traction off button, parking sensor, and auto start/stop off button all don’t work. They press fine, although it feels a little sticky, but no response from the car. I’ll attach a picture of the buttons in case you’re unsure which ones. Has anyone experienced this or know of a fix? I don’t want to replace the entire gear selector so was wondering if anyone had an idea on what to do? Much appreciated thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 02:27 PM   #2
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Did you spill anything and/or detail in that area? Have seen reports that this isn't uncommon if any of the preceding have happened.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 02:35 PM   #3
Steezychris
Registered
Rep

@prostcfc No spills or detail done there, Although it is used so previous owner might have. Is that something that maybe contact cleaner could fix or is it too late for something like that?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 04:02 PM   #4
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Steezychris maybe, but I'd be cautious. This is all one piece, so it doesn't look like you can just remove a button and clean precisely https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_6142. If those systems actually didn't work, you should see some sort of warning on iDrive, and I would expect a code if you scanned; also, your parking sensors wouldn't work at all, which is easily verifiable. But my guess is something spilled, given all three buttons with the same ingress points don't work, and you say they're "sticky".
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 04:15 PM   #5
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

Those buttons are both mechanical (whole plate) and capacitive, which is used to determine which button your finger is pressing.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 04:23 PM   #6
Steezychris
Registered
Rep

prostcfc damn yeah I was considering removing the gear selector to see if I can remove that button and clean it. Seems like my only option is to replace the entire gear selector which I really didn’t want to do. I’ve gotten the traction control button to work literally just once by continuously pressing it but no luck on any other button, also no codes when I scan with Bimmerlink
Appreciate 0