Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Opinions on Lane Keeping Assistant?

02-11-2021, 06:47 AM   #111
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

Yeah, it's a terrible feature, it always tries to steer me into potholes and cyclist, but when I actually need it to steer me into lane on the highway it does nothing.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 09:44 AM   #112
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post
I frequently travel along a road near my house which has a 60 limit. It is common that I drift out to overtake cyclists and parked cars. If there is no other traffic on the road I don't think about indicating. It is infuriating that the car attempts to crash into these things that I was taking action to avoid. It wouldn't be so bad if I could configure the speed at which the LDWS activates. 40mph is too slow. I'm in the UK so this feature can't be permanently disabled. Don't suppose this can be coded?

There was one time that I tried squeezing into the side of the road in order to avoid a truck coming in the opposite direction. Unfortunately there was a white line in the gutter. So the car tried pushing me back out into the path of the oncoming truck. It's enough to make a cat laugh.
I've just updated the software on my 330e Touring, and one of the updates is the ability to permanently turn off the steering intervention. Sure enough, I've now turned it off and it doesn't say "this will be reactivated when you start the car again".

Thank god. It was ruining my experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 04:30 PM   #113
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post
I frequently travel along a road near my house which has a 60 limit. It is common that I drift out to overtake cyclists and parked cars. If there is no other traffic on the road I don't think about indicating. It is infuriating that the car attempts to crash into these things that I was taking action to avoid. It wouldn't be so bad if I could configure the speed at which the LDWS activates. 40mph is too slow. I'm in the UK so this feature can't be permanently disabled. Don't suppose this can be coded?

There was one time that I tried squeezing into the side of the road in order to avoid a truck coming in the opposite direction. Unfortunately there was a white line in the gutter. So the car tried pushing me back out into the path of the oncoming truck. It's enough to make a cat laugh.
I've just updated the software on my 330e Touring, and one of the updates is the ability to permanently turn off the steering intervention. Sure enough, I've now turned it off and it doesn't say "this will be reactivated when you start the car again".

Thank god. It was ruining my experience.
Haha. I don't think LKA is as bad. I didn't think I'd like it but with the right setting it's not so terrible. I was a little less focused yesterday due to fatigue and this feature worked flawlessly. I hated it on my first test drive when I attempted to steer away from a bike only to be steered right back. Lol. It wasn't funny then and I swore I'd disable it the moment I got my car. It was on medium when I took stock of my car but I now have it set to "Early."
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 04:40 PM   #114
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Haha. I don't think LKA is as bad. I didn't think I'd like it but with the right setting it's not so terrible. I was a little less focused yesterday due to fatigue and this feature worked flawlessly. I hated it on my first test drive when I attempted to steer away from a bike only to be steered right back. Lol. It wasn't funny then and I swore I'd disable it the moment I got my car. It was on medium when I took stock of my car but I now have it set to "Early."
Yes same here, it has been left on medium and works just fine as a reminder from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 01:20 AM   #115
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
I attempted to steer away from a bike only to be steered right back. Lol. It wasn't funny then and I swore I'd disable it the moment I got my car.
That's exactly why it's downright dangerous. Numerous near-misses where it's yanked the steering wheel has left me infuriated. Thankfully that's no longer an issue with the latest software update allowing you to permanently disable the steering intervention.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 08:24 AM   #116
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
Quote:
That's exactly why it's downright dangerous. Numerous near-misses where it's yanked the steering wheel has left me infuriated. Thankfully that's no longer an issue with the latest software update allowing you to permanently disable the steering intervention.
A quick tap on the indicator eliminates most of those frustrations imo, I suppose that's one way for BMW to try shake their drivers' reputations though
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 02:44 AM   #117
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisman77 View Post
A quick tap on the indicator eliminates most of those frustrations imo, I suppose that's one way for BMW to try shake their drivers' reputations though
I use my indicators without fail when they're needed. It's my pet hate about some other drivers who don't. However, there are situations where an indicator is not needed, either due to the road layout or there isn't anybody around at all, and yet you had to use your indictors just to not trigger the steering wheel being yanked out of your hand. It was a design flaw. BMW obviously agree, which is why they've changed it so you have the ability to permnanently disable it.

My work premises is on an industrial estate, which at certain times of the day is deserted, and yet I'm having to indicate to absolutely nobody when traversing a certain part of the road. On this same road there is a well-sighted bend which you can cut the corner of perfectly safely, yet if you try the car doesn't like it and tries to yank you back onto your side of the road. It's awful.

Thankfully no longer an issue now.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 04:09 AM   #118
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I use my indicators without fail when they're needed. It's my pet hate about some other drivers who don't. However, there are situations where an indicator is not needed, either due to the road layout or there isn't anybody around at all, and yet you had to use your indictors just to not trigger the steering wheel being yanked out of your hand. It was a design flaw. BMW obviously agree, which is why they've changed it so you have the ability to permanently disable it.

My work premises is on an industrial estate, which at certain times of the day is deserted, and yet I'm having to indicate to absolutely nobody when traversing a certain part of the road. On this same road there is a well-sighted bend which you can cut the corner of perfectly safely, yet if you try the car doesn't like it and tries to yank you back onto your side of the road. It's awful.

Thankfully no longer an issue now.
All I can go off are my own experiences & haven't had an issue with it so far even on the most sensitive setting, if you get into the habit of using the indicators regardless then it becomes a non-issue anyway - after all, you can think you're the only one around when not. At least if some idiot has the temerity to jump out at my car there's the plausible deniability of "you could plainly see I was turning/overtaking/etc" to fall back on.

Of course, I don't know your circumstances but I'd personally save the spirited driving 'til I'm off the industrial estate. That said, I definitely agree with BMW to add the flexibility to allow drivers to turn it off, more options and customization is no bad thing imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 05:08 AM   #119
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
I hate it too. it's way too aggressive. I tried to overtake a cyclist, did not indicate, and the lane keep steering kicked in very strongly and almost gave me a heart attack. I turned it off. it now only vibrates the steering wheel bit does not intervene
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 05:10 AM   #120
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Really annoying in all the car’s I’ve had it in so it always gets switched off along with all the other nanny state “safety” stuff!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 05:10 AM   #121
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
sometimes when I want to overtake I cyclist, I don't indicate. scares the hell out of me when it tries to bring me back into lane with the cyclist
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 06:42 AM   #122
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by francton View Post
sometimes when I want to overtake I cyclist, I don't indicate. scares the hell out of me when it tries to bring me back into lane with the cyclist
Thankfully I have never had that issue occur. I expect it may try and correct so I just keep gentle pressure on the wheel so it doesn't occur.

Make sure you have your setting on Early and I'm sure you will eventually get used to it trying to correct so it doesn't scare you.
francton126.50
      06-23-2021, 12:33 PM   #123
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Exactly the issues I had. It intervenes unexpectedly and in situations where it can cause fatal outcomes. I don't need line keeping. I'm not texting, eating, looking at the clouds while driving. And no one should do that, with or without lane keep assistant.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 12:40 PM   #124
jav335i_
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Xdrive

From my experience it is very abrupt so I just turned it off so now it only vibrates if I go over the line. I actually work for Mercedes and their lane keeping assistant is horrible, it actually feels like it brakes the inside rear wheel on whichever side the lane your going over and it gives you a mini heart attack and with their cars once you turn it off it's off, it won't let you have the option to have the steering wheel vibrate.
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      06-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #125
stevej2001
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Am I the only person who likes this feature?

I have sleep apnea and while CPAP has been a game changer for me sometimes I still get sleepy when driving. I pull off and sleep for 5-15 min and all is well.

The day after I took delivery of my '19 330i I was driving on a road near my house when I felt the need to sleep. The problem was the road had no shoulders and was surrounded by trees. I figured I was about 5 min from home, so I'd try to stay awake.

Obviously, I failed. The car drifted to the right and the wheel shake woke me up. Before I could correct, the car steered back into the center of the lane. At that point I was FULLY awake and the rest of my drive was uneventful.

So, do all the things listed in this thread sometimes bother me? Yes. DO I leave the system turned on always? Absolutely.
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      06-23-2021, 01:01 PM   #126
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej2001 View Post
So, do all the things listed in this thread sometimes bother me? Yes. DO I leave the system turned on always? Absolutely.
Same here.

In addition my car has no blind spot(with steering intervention) + rear cross traffic alert as I figure that can be intrusive, but my experience with standard LDW now tells me $500 extra for BSD + RCTA can be quite useful too.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 02:13 AM   #127
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Honestly like others have said that just sounds like bad habits feeding in, indicate appropriately and it won't engage lane keeping.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 02:16 AM   #128
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Same here.

In addition my car has no blind spot(with steering intervention) + rear cross traffic alert as I figure that can be intrusive, but my experience with standard LDW now tells me $500 extra for BSD + RCTA can be quite useful too.
For me it's the front collision warning, I have it set to most sensitive which means rarely it'll panic if I take a bend that has cars parked on it as it thinks I'm going to keep going straight, but I'd rather 1000 mini scares than 1 hit.
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      06-24-2021, 04:37 AM   #129
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Same here.

For me it's the front collision warning, I have it set to most sensitive which means rarely it'll panic if I take a bend that has cars parked on it as it thinks I'm going to keep going straight, but I'd rather 1000 mini scares than 1 hit.
I've not had issues with the emergency braking and I would never turn that off. my previous car was an X3 (current generation). that car hit the emergency brakes momentarily while delivering at 80ks atleast a couple times. did not stop the car but would hit the brakes and immediately let go. and while reverse parking, it used to hit the brakes many times even though there world not be any obstacle nearby (including in an empty car park). I guess that car had some issues.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2021, 08:40 AM   #130
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
All I can go off are my own experiences & haven't had an issue with it so far even on the most sensitive setting, if you get into the habit of using the indicators regardless then it becomes a non-issue anyway - after all, you can think you're the only one around when not. At least if some idiot has the temerity to jump out at my car there's the plausible deniability of "you could plainly see I was turning/overtaking/etc" to fall back on.

Of course, I don't know your circumstances but I'd personally save the spirited driving 'til I'm off the industrial estate. That said, I definitely agree with BMW to add the flexibility to allow drivers to turn it off, more options and customization is no bad thing imo.
Who said anything about spirited driving? And "get into the habit of indicating"? Trust me, every time I indicate or don't indicate, it's not out of habit. Indicating (and not indicating) is a conscious decision and I do it without fail when it's necessary.

Without knowing the roads I'm talking about, you can't comment. When I say nobody is around, it's because I know nobody is around. You can see in this link here one bend which is a pain in the arse. It's a fast bend with good sighting, and if you stray slightly towards the central white line, the steering yanks you back right, just as you're turning the steering left. It's downright dangerous. This is on my route to work.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.91...7i16384!8i8192

A bit further down the same road, the road slowly splits into two lanes, both of which go straight ahead at the next lights. I work shifts and sometimes it's utterly deserted and I KNOW nobody is around to see me indicate (and I would argue indicating is largely pointless anyway here) but if you try to keep right and take the right hand lane, the steering doesn't let you. It's a joke. I'm indicating to avoid the steering deciding it knows better. Technology shouldn't do that.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.92...7i16384!8i8192

And if you think technology is flawless, you only have to look at the speed limit assist. I'd say 10% of the time it's showing an incorrect speed limit.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 11:43 AM   #131
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
And if you think technology is flawless, you only have to look at the speed limit assist. I'd say 10% of the time it's showing an incorrect speed limit.
On the 2 road conditions described, 1st one means the car is not centered, and 2nd one reinforces turn signal regardless anyone is around or not.

In both cases the steering interventions look legit.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 04:29 PM   #132
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
On the 2 road conditions described, 1st one means the car is not centered, and 2nd one reinforces turn signal regardless anyone is around or not.

In both cases the steering interventions look legit.
So even when there's nobody present to observe it, you think it's worthwhile using your indicators? Who am I supposed to be indicating to at 2am on a deserted industrial estate? When I'm using the indicators as a method to override the steering intervention, then there's something wrong with the technology. Thankfully BMW agree, which is why they've changed the ability to permanently override the steering intervention.
Appreciate 1
urbo7358.00