Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications MAD Exhaust alignment issue

04-10-2024, 02:54 PM   #1
TheTurboFD
Rep
Drives: 21' M340i XDrive

MAD Exhaust alignment issue

Was installing this exhaust on my ‘21 M340i and when I got to the end I noticed that the valve actuators don’t actually line up. Is this a mess up on my end somewhere? I’ve attached pics of the misalignment , any help is appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 05:40 PM   #2
Onetotree
Registered
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i RWD

Hi,

I installed this exhaust on my car a few months ago. Two things; the springs included should allow you to install with no issue, even with a misalignment like this. The included springs are better designed than the OEM solution. Second, if you unbolt the two or three bolts holding the bracket in place, you will have a little bit of room to better align the actuator and valve. It is also possible that the bracket may need slight bending into place if it was accidentally bent. I was OCD and bent everything straight and realigned the bracket, however, it would have worked either way. Hope this helps and that you are able to get it working!

*If you are going to adjust this, make sure that the actuator plugs will fit so that you don't have to go back and do this again. I had to rotate the driver side bracket 180deg. so that the actuator plug would fit without hitting the heat shield.
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2024, 10:00 AM   #3
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Op,

I emailed you right away when you sent the photo over. In the future please email us first before making a forum thread for a faster reply.

Fix: Flip the actuator bracket around and it should line right up. If it doesn't help please let me know.

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 04-11-2024 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 04:16 PM   #4
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Op,

I emailed you right away when you sent the photo over. In the future please email us first before making a forum thread for a faster reply.

Fix: Flip the actuator bracket around and it should line right up. If it doesn't help please let me know.
I don’t think it’s right for you to tell him to not make a thread, people might run into this issue in the future and this thread could solve their problem.
      04-12-2024, 10:11 AM   #5
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by whofelt View Post
I don’t think it’s right for you to tell him to not make a thread, people might run into this issue in the future and this thread could solve their problem.
I completely agree with you, but I never said not to make a thread. I said to email us before making a thread for a faster response.

During a customer's installation process, the timeliness of our response to an issue can be crucial. We aim to prevent any shops or customers from attempting to resolve an issue on their own before consulting with us.

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 04-12-2024 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 12:11 PM   #6
TheTurboFD
Rep
Drives: 21' M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by whofelt View Post
Correct! I'll also give a run down. So this exhaust has 2 brackets, obviously, one for each side. Well flipping the bracket did indeed work but not with the bracket in the pic. I had to use that bracket on the driver side because it wasn't lining up on the passenger side and the 2nd bracket I had to flip on the passenger side for it to line up. Then the valve slot on both the actuator and the exhaust itself didn't line up perfectly , it was maybe a degree or 2 off , I did make sure my mode was set to sport plus.

It was a pain in the ass but the only way i could get the actuator to line up with the slot below on the passenger side was by removing one of the bracket bolts so it could get that 1 to 2 degree turn so that the spring would fit in. On the driver side it had the same misalignment issue but it was slightly less than the passenger side so I was able to push both down hard while using a flat head to push the spring hard into place.

TLDR; brackets didn't line up perfectly, valve slots didn't line up perfectly on both ends. Needed to remove 1 bracket bolt to line up on passenger side and force spring to fit on driver side.

All in all though I love this exhaust! Well worth the money.
Appreciate 1