Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 2019 BMW 3 Series (G20) Official Specs, Wallpapers, Videos, Photos, Info!

10-04-2018, 12:06 AM   #309
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

After looking at the car some more, I think it's a really successful evolution.

This is the first connected kidney grille that I like, and it already makes the new X5, M2 Competition, and 8er grilles look dated. This grille looks like it was made from the start to be connected, and there is some unique sculpting that makes it look less flat, and more 3-dimensional than the others. The previous models I mentioned looked like BMW just slapped a straight piece of plastic in between a "normal" separated kidney grille.

One of the biggest complaints of the car has been the taillights, and I can sympathize with the criticisms. I understand that BMW has had the L-shaped taillights for a very long time, but with how thick the clear part of the taillights is, it makes the taillights look like one singular piece, and therefore more generic.

I think BMW wants these 3D L-shaped taillights to be a big part of their new design language, but I don't think they made it distinctive enough on the G20. The turn signal/reverse light clear lens housing is just too thick, so it looks more like a generic single piece headlight shape.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 02:35 AM   #310
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Agreed, 320 was an embarrassment. Really just for someone who had to have a BMW badge no matter what
Not at all... not everyone needs a high powered car and actually 185hp offering 0-60 in 7 secs is very respectable (30 years ago most supercars wouldn't have been much faster) Some drivers just want a high quality great handling saloon car and the 3 fits the bill for them! And before you say I'm only saying this because I can't afford a higher powered car I currently have the 340i. I'd consider a G20 320i because it'll now be the only petrol 3 with a manual transmission. For real enthusiasts it's not just about power and 0-60 bragging rights!!!
Appreciate 3
      10-04-2018, 06:05 AM   #311
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

No more coral red interior??? It doesn't appear on the configurator.

https://www.bmw.co.uk/configurator#/...B/G20/esl/new/
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 06:10 AM   #312
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
Yea...they're going to a cost-cutting one-wheel strategy. Apparently, there was a big issue with the early X3s where some folks didn't get the M sport version. I'd be as upset as they are. I also hate the position of the heating button on the new one.
I think they're simply trying to put too many buttons on the wheel now making wider spokes essential... personally I love a wheel with zero controls on... my 2013 Cayman had a lovely 'clean' steering wheel... it's there to steer the car & I rarely use the wheel mounted controls anyways (maybe volume +/- occasionally) technology really can ruin design in my opinion!
Appreciate 1
MT4life575.50
      10-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #313
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
I think they're simply trying to put too many buttons on the wheel now making wider spokes essential... personally I love a wheel with zero controls on... my 2013 Cayman had a lovely 'clean' steering wheel... it's there to steer the car & I rarely use the wheel mounted controls anyways (maybe volume +/- occasionally) technology really can ruin design in my opinion!
I actually do use them and like them...but yes, too many. The wheel in that picture doesn't have the heating. That button is smack in the middle of the top of the aluminum space on the bottom spoke...right below the roundel. It looks ridiculous. The current Porsche wheel does a brilliant job of hiding the heat button in the bottom opening of the bottom spoke.
Appreciate 1
nozydog465.00
      10-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #314
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post

I think BMW wants these 3D L-shaped taillights to be a big part of their new design language, but I don't think they made it distinctive enough on the G20. The turn signal/reverse light clear lens housing is just too thick, so it looks more like a generic single piece headlight shape.
Turn signal is actually underneath the red piece, it's an amber LED strip as long as the red DRL portion and looks really cool when lit up. It makes the car look super modern.

But yeah the brake/reverse clear portion is way too big.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 11:19 AM   #315
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

What happened to the simple & elegant BMW design? This car is such a disappointment and I don't think it will age well.
      10-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #316
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
What happened to the simple & elegant BMW design? This car is such a disappointment and I don't think it will age well.
Yeh, must admit I was kinda hoping for some design cues from the homage concept, harking back to the days of classic bmw design. Sadly it wasn’t to be... not quite sure why that concept was even presented!?

I do however think that this is a good, modern design and I imagine it will look really good in the metal on the road!!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #317
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #318
DJKapeesh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i, 13' 911 C2S, 10' X5D

What happened to the angel eyes???

So basically it's an infinity front end and Lexus rear end?

Where is the BMW?

Current: 13' C2S 911 / 11' 135i / 05' Xrunner/ 10' X5D (Youtube: Peepshit Studios)
Past: 1991 325ix Coupe Turbo / AP2 05' S2K / 981 Boxster/ 2007 Z4MC/ S13 240SX/ 2002 S2000/ 2004 350Z/ E39 1999 528i/ E46 2004 SC 325CI/ E30 1989 325i Vert/ 1987 E24 635CSI/ 2012 135I
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 03:24 PM   #319
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKapeesh View Post
What happened to the angel eyes???

So basically it's an infinity front end and Lexus rear end?

Where is the BMW?
It has two roundels, one in the front and one in the back plus 1 on each wheel
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #320
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupojava View Post
Turn signal is actually underneath the red piece, it's an amber LED strip as long as the red DRL portion and looks really cool when lit up. It makes the car look super modern.

But yeah the brake/reverse clear portion is way too big.
Just saw the picture of the turn signal and you're right it does look great. It also makes the giant clear portion more confusing. Not sure why they went with that design choice...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 04:48 PM   #321
Bimmer North
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 430I grand coupe

The back end is ok. Has potential to grow on me. What I do know is the front kidney grill design will never grow on me. Connected and Kia like . Z4 front grill is a mess and so is this one. The front grills on the Msport on each corner is right off the civic hatchback.
Glad I have a 2018 version grill on my 4 series. The connected grill is no longer iconic.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 05:12 PM   #322
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

As a former E90 owner and current G30 owner, I really like what BMW has done with the G20. I am sorry F30 fans out there, but the 6th generation was a lame ass effort for the 3-Series. It was mostly an OK car, and surely competent, but not even the shadow of its former self.

I hope the driving dynamics of the G20 dial back in some of that E46/E90 goodness. We shall see.

Design wise, I like the new front end, the side view is a bit questionable and the rear is clean and mostly OK. This is one car I just have to see in person. I am sure the 330i will become the staple of the loaner fleet at my dealership.

Look forward to seeing it, sit in it and drive it. However, I don't regret my decision of forgoing it for a G30 as I am ready for a more
Comfortable and mature car. One could argue the new G20 is the best value new 5-Series and that is possibly true but I also believe BMW did a fantastic job with G30 and kept the benchmark BMW design traits more or less in line with tradition.

BMW needs the 3-Series to succeed and I believe they got it right with the G20. I hope a future test drive will reinforce this belief.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 09:12 PM   #323
Bimmer North
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 430I grand coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed, 320 was an embarrassment. Really just for someone who had to have a BMW badge no matter what
Not at all... not everyone needs a high powered car and actually 185hp offering 0-60 in 7 secs is very respectable (30 years ago most supercars wouldn't have been much faster) Some drivers just want a high quality great handling saloon car and the 3 fits the bill for them! And before you say I'm only saying this because I can't afford a higher powered car I currently have the 340i. I'd consider a G20 320i because it'll now be the only petrol 3 with a manual transmission. For real enthusiasts it's not just about power and 0-60 bragging rights!!!
Quote:
Quote:
My first BMW was a 2014 320i. I was in the entry level no doubt / introduction stage. Underpowered yes but now I moved up to 4 series. So they used it as an introduction to the brand and they got me for now.
Appreciate 1
nozydog465.00
      10-05-2018, 12:42 AM   #324
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Unhappy

If you're in the North American Marketplace (United States and Canada) like me, I'm sure you're NOT thrilled to hear about the unexpected news about our beloved 3 Series being manufactured in Mexico - not in Germany, not in South Carolina U.S.A, but in Mexico where everything goes to die. Once anything is farmed out to China or Mexico it, without fail, usually goes to SHIT. I've seen this happen with so many iconic brands that once manufactured great products only to see their products turn into total CRAP.

I was very leery when BMW first started manufacturing cars in the United States in South Carolina. It took them a while to get up to snuff, but now it's on par with Germany. The fit and finish and build quality have gone up drastically, and there's a culture of pride for the vehicles they produce that wasn't originally there. But once manufacturing is farmed-out south of the border, I guarantee build quality will go south with it. It is all about saving costs, which will not be passed on to us customers and BMW enthusiasts.

I feel manufacturing the cars in Mexico is total sacrilege, and I don't care about tariffs and whatnot. The whole point of wanting to buy, own and drive a BMW is because of it's German heritage, German design and of meticulous German manufacturing. It's part of the BMW mystique and what we, as customers, are paying a premium for. German Engineering and German Build Quality mean something! It makes a statement and that is what you are paying for. After all it is THE car that has set the high standards that every other car manufacture tries to follow regarding luxury, sportiness, and build quality – they don't call a BMW "The Ultimate Driving Machine" for nothing.

If you are a lover of the iconic BMW 3 Series that has been the benchmark for sporting sedans of the automotive industry for decades, then call BMW of North America's Headquarters in New Jersey at 1(800) 831-1117 ex 5819 and speak to the Head of Customer Service to voice your honest opinions, concerns, and feelings about your favorite auto brand making a terrible decision that may destroy the reputation of the brand and diminish the value of our cars.

Yours truly,
DCG
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 04:15 AM   #325
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
If You’re like me I'm sure you're NOT thrilled to hear the news about our 3 Series being made in Mexico - not in Germany, South Carolina U.S.A, but in Mexico where everything goes to die. Once anything is farmed out to China or Mexico it, without fail, usually goes to SH*T. I've seen this happen with so many iconic brands that once manufactured great products only to see their products turn into total CRAP.

It is all about saving costs, which will not be passed on to us customers and BMW enthusiasts.

I feel manufacturing the cars in Mexico is total sacrilege... The whole point of wanting to buy, own and drive a BMW is because of it’s German heritage, German design and of meticulous German manufacturing. It’s part of the BMW mystique and what we, as customers, are paying a premium for. German Engineering and German Build Quality mean something! It makes a statement and that is what you are paying for. After all it is THE car that has set the high standards that every other car manufacture tries to follow regarding luxury, sportiness, and build quality – they don’t call a BMW “The Ultimate Driving Machine” for nothing.
My recent reply to your similar post disagreed with you, I even called you an ignorant #@*#. I apologise for this because I do actually get where you’re coming from. We do buy German brands because of their reputation for build quality but sadly many big brands are now manufacturing in countries where labour is cheaper. And you’re absolutely right, we won’t see the cost saving passed on to us! This isn’t always the way though... I’m a musician and American guitar company, Fender, do pass the savings on to the customer for Mexican built products! A Mexican built instrument is generally around half the price of a Corona (Cali) built one and while quality wasn’t great to start with, it is now right up there with the top end stuff! To be fair to BMW though, cars are very different and are built by robots, which are made by BMW Germany, so the Mexican workers will be trained (hopefully properly) to operate these robots! Obviously some of the cars interiors are assembled by hand, but again we would hope the plant workers are properly trained to do an exemplary job! I’ve actually read opinions from members on this forum saying they’ve owned a South African built car which they felt was better built than their previous German built car! I know the SA plant has apparently won manufacturing awards for their quality! Sometimes when manufacturing gets shipped out to poorer countries the workers try really hard to prove their worth and with Mexican BMWs it will all come down to how good BMW’s quality control is. I actually think it will be fine as they have a reputation to maintain amongst all the competition but it’s whether American buyers will trust BMW to get this right I guess!!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #326
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
If you're in the North American Marketplace (United States and Canada) like me, I'm sure you're NOT thrilled to hear about the unexpected news about our beloved 3 Series being manufactured in Mexico - not in Germany, not in South Carolina U.S.A, but in Mexico where everything goes to die. Once anything is farmed out to China or Mexico it, without fail, usually goes to SHIT. I've seen this happen with so many iconic brands that once manufactured great products only to see their products turn into total CRAP.

I was very leery when BMW first started manufacturing cars in the United States in South Carolina. It took them a while to get up to snuff, but now it’s on par with Germany. The fit and finish and build quality have gone up drastically, and there’s a culture of pride for the vehicles they produce that wasn’t originally there. But once manufacturing is farmed-out south of the border, I guarantee build quality will go south with it. It is all about saving costs, which will not be passed on to us customers and BMW enthusiasts.

I feel manufacturing the cars in Mexico is total sacrilege, and I don't care about tariffs and whatnot. The whole point of wanting to buy, own and drive a BMW is because of it’s German heritage, German design and of meticulous German manufacturing. It’s part of the BMW mystique and what we, as customers, are paying a premium for. German Engineering and German Build Quality mean something! It makes a statement and that is what you are paying for. After all it is THE car that has set the high standards that every other car manufacture tries to follow regarding luxury, sportiness, and build quality – they don’t call a BMW “The Ultimate Driving Machine” for nothing.

If you are a lover of the iconic BMW 3 Series that has been the benchmark for sporting sedans of the automotive industry for decades, then call BMW of North America’s Headquarters in New Jersey at 1(800) 831-1117 ex 5819 and speak to the Head of Customer Service to voice your honest opinions, concerns, and feelings about your favorite auto brand making a terrible decision td chat may destroy the reputation of the brand and diminish the value of your cars.

Yours truly,
DCG
I think that one, you’re overreacting, and two, have no idea how cars are built these days.

I remember when the South Carolina plant came on, people were not very thrilled at having their beloved BMWs built by rednecks. Should have seen the comments flying around... Guess what, I’m driving an X3 and cannot distinguish its build quality from everything else that came out of Germany. Anecdotically of course.

I just returned from a Euro Delivery trip where we visited the Munich factory. I’ve visited it on two previous occasions so I can understand the slight evolution in the last 10 years. Suffice it to say, the modern BMW manufacturing plant is in fact just an assembly plant for most of the things you’d consider when you think of build quality.

Yes they do stamp their own panels but as you can imagine that is an almost fully automated job, as is the positioning and welding of the panels into the final body shape. After that, prefabricated subassemblies are coming to the line just in time to be essentially bolted or snapped onto the body. Literally that’s it.

Seats come from a supplier, so does the entire preassembled dash, preformed wiring loom, engine, suspension sub frames with wheel hubs/brakes attached, you name it. In some cases the supplier is BMW (same or different plant) but often times it isn’t.

Even the current paint process no longer needs curing in between layers, and instead the layers can be applied wet over one another. Technology is constantly evolving.

After having seen this and understood how it all works today, I for one am not at all concerned about a BMW being built in Mexico.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #327
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:

I was very leery when BMW first started manufacturing cars in the United States in South Carolina. It took them a while to get up to snuff, but now it's on par with Germany. The fit and finish and build quality have gone up drastically, and there's a culture of pride for the vehicles they produce that wasn't originally there. But once manufacturing is farmed-out south of the border, I guarantee build quality will go south with it. It is all about saving costs, which will not be passed on to us customers and BMW enthusiasts.

I feel manufacturing the cars in Mexico is total sacrilege, and I don't care about tariffs and whatnot. The whole point of wanting to buy, own and drive a BMW is because of it's German heritage, German design and of meticulous German manufacturing. It's part of the BMW mystique and what we, as customers, are paying a premium for. German Engineering and German Build Quality mean something! It makes a statement and that is what you are paying for. After all it is THE car that has set the high standards that every other car manufacture tries to follow regarding luxury, sportiness, and build quality – they don't call a BMW "The Ultimate Driving Machine" for nothing.

If you are a lover of the iconic BMW 3 Series that has been the benchmark for sporting sedans of the automotive industry for decades, then call BMW of North America's Headquarters in New Jersey at 1(800) 831-1117 ex 5819 and speak to the Head of Customer Service to voice your honest opinions, concerns, and feelings about your favorite auto brand making a terrible decision td chat may destroy the reputation of the brand and diminish the value of your cars.

Yours truly,
DCG
LOL

While you are at it, why don't you voice your complaint about BMW products manufactured in:

China
India
Thailand
South Africa
Egypt
Italy
Austria
Malaysia
Great Britain
Russia

Source: https://www.bmwusfactory.com/manufac...bmw-worldwide/

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #328
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

I'm here sticking up for all of us BMW enthusiasts and also sticking up for American jobs such as the South Carolina BMW plant workers. I'm assuming we all are interested and if your are capable enough to purchase one, the reason is because they are of a certain elk. Yes we live in a ever increasing global marketplace and I totally get that, BUT once anything gets "farmed out" it is never ever the same and that's with all products, it's quite sad actually. Made in the USA, Made in Germany, Made in Italy, Made in Japan all meant something and still does mean something.

I stand by my statements and will NEVER yield! Because I want to see manufacturing stay and come back to United States!

Not everyone can afford and M car, not everyone wants one, not everyone needs one. But this is to me the essence of BMW and always has been. And I particularly want it to stay that way, because I hold them to a higher standard than other brands as we all should, and they should hold themselves to a higher standard as well.

Last edited by DCG; 10-05-2018 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #329
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Will all models like the M340 be made in Mexico? No more European Delivery for the 3 series?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 11:53 AM   #330
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

So now that its getting up to be the size of a 5 series, I suppose they will have to discontinue the touring offer in the US.
Appreciate 0