Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions BMW Development Chief Has Had Enough of 3 Series Critics

10-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #243
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
If you all organise a boycott and buy Alfas, you can run that fucker outta town altogether, show 'em who's boss!

I'm sure that'll have him crying all the way to the bank, as another million people in China buy more BMWs and a handful of grumpy old men on the internet cancel their order for an M3....
bro look at this dude uhju uhju wait till you see the f- uhhujuJUJUJUUU NO NO NO NO ohhhHOHOo ohh uhhuhhuhh EATJAHWQUIEHQWIUOHHHHHHAHAHAHAHA AAA LOOK AT THE TOP OF HIS HEAD HEEEEEEEE HAHAHAHAAA LOOK AT THOSE LIPS HASJHJDHWRUI

Last edited by Fritzer; 10-23-2018 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: p.s. I'm only an old man at heart. <3
Appreciate 1
GGG333603.50
      10-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #244
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

In all honesty
the 340i F LCI drives great
and if theyve improve on this on the G
lots of guys will be shutting up on driving dynamics
moneys down theyve actually done it..
via damper magic, slight lowering, wider base, chassis stiffening, steering reprogramming, more support on front suspension

remember the LCI already had a front link stiffened, steering reprogrammed, rear dampers adjusted and the B58 .. and I luv it over the base submodels
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #245
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
If you all organise a boycott and buy Alfas, you can run that fucker outta town altogether, show 'em who's boss!

I'm sure that'll have him crying all the way to the bank, as another million people in China buy more BMWs and a handful of grumpy old men on the internet cancel their order for an M3....
I just turned 37, I don't think I'm a "grumpy old man". I'm sure BMW does care about its enthusiasts, which is exactly why Klaus came out with that statement.
Appreciate 1
MT4life575.50
      10-30-2018, 09:07 AM   #246
NicB.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

I was an e46 owner for 12+ years and now own a 2015 335i M-sport with MT, MPPK, and MPE.

While I loved my e46 and drove the heck out of her for many years (200k miles), the F30 is superior in every way, especially as I push 40 and need something more "mature" (for lack of a better term). The e46 reminded me of go-kart. True, one felt very connected to the car and it was a blast to throw it into corners with reckless abandon, but my needs have changed over time, and it is tough to beat the 335i for daily driving and long road trips. It is almost as fuel efficient as my e46, has ample space, a great interior layout, good build quality, and clean exterior lines. In comfort mode, the 335i has a linear acceleration feel similar to the e46. In sport mode it is like a different car and helps me to remind my wife I am still a hooligan at heart. The newer technology and estoril blue color sealed the deal for me. I recognize my 335i may be a bit of a unicorn given its configuration, so I may be biased, but I was happy with the change and hope to keep her for a good while.

After the F30, it is unlikely I will purchase another "new" BMW. The sedans continue to increase in size, and I feel like most drivers now care more about the perceived brand cachet than the motorsport heritage. I have no issue with this, it helps BMW make money and is what it is, but the last nail in the coffin for me was when I read the G20 will no longer be available with a manual tranny option in the US. I might as well drive my wife's IS350 F-Sport (I know it will at least be more reliable -- and to be fair, it's a great ride).

When the time comes, I am guessing I will sell the 335i along with my Land Cruiser to buy another Land Cruiser (which has its own unique heritage). Then I'll fill the third bay of our garage with a Porsche or vintage ///M-car equipped with a MT and LSD for continued Tomfoolery.

Just one man's view.
NicB.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 09:48 PM   #247
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Negative Reviews Served as Motivation to Improve G20 3 Series
Much of the negative reviews of the BMW 3 Series from recent years have not fallen on deaf ears.

In fact, BMW have done more than simply take note of the complaints.
According to BMW Development Chief Klaus Fröhlich, the G20 3 Series was developed to have the best driving dynamics in its class because he's tired of all the criticisms.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #248
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
How exactly is stiffness supposed to translate into ride comfort? lol
I think the G20 marks the end of BMW's dominance in this segment
Its not the best in any one thing
and the next iteration competition just gets tougher
The F30 was - relative to the market - the worst driving 3 series probably since the first gen. The F30 is what ended BMW's dominance in this segment. While capable, it was sterile and too compliant.

The G20 is adding an eDiff, a much stiffer chassis, will be noticeably lighter, supposedly has well tuned passive dampers, higher rate springs, and a steering rack with more road feel. Based on current CLAR cars, the above list of upgrades and early impressions from publications, the G20 should shape up to be a much more fun car to drive than the F30.

I personally think it also looks far more refined and polished than the F30. The F30, while overall nicely styled, looks like an E90 with some nips/tucks and a new grille. Styling is subjective anyway. For a car as popular as the 3 series, you can bet a lot more effort was put into styling it than any other car in BMW's lineup. You may not like it, but I can guarantee you a lot of people will.

Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be the absolute best in any one thing. If it can be right behind Alfa in driving (not saying it will be, but hypothetically...), and be behind Mercedes in interior quality, it can still be an overall great sport sedan. The Alfa has a LOT of faults that many people wouldn't be able to live with. The Mercedes is solid but isn't necessarily exciting until you move up to the C63.

The real problem is the lack of a manual transmission. This is something that kept the F30 alive in enthusiast circles, IMO. If the G20 drops it, then it had better step up its game in other areas. I know for me, if the F30 didn't have a manual, I definitely would have gone a different direction. The F30 just doesn't really offer many compelling features to stand out.
Actually no! The F-Series wasn't the "worst driving". In fact, reviews mentioned how well it actually drove, how tractable it was and how easy it was to get the car to do what the driver asked of it. The debate was almost always about steering feel, not chassis capability. I personally never had an issue with the feel, and having had access to a 2011 1-Series ///M Sport [owned by my girlfriend at the time] for a direct comparison, I preferred the steering feel of the F-Series. Granted, it's a moot point to argue considering feel is entirely subjective, but the car drove better than the E9X. The ///M series cars were universes apart. I never desired to go back to my E9X ///M's or E46 ///M's after getting my hands on the F82.
Appreciate 1
MmmmmM22578.00