Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Brake fluid change in 2001 warning??

10-06-2019, 07:55 AM   #1
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Brake fluid change in 2001 warning??

How many other folks have had the "Brake Fluid should have been changed in 2001" error appear in the Connected Drive app? My car is only 2 weeks old and it just popped up today.

Sure I've seen others posting on this...

Presuming I'll have to take it into a dealer. What was the resolution and how long did it take?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
Blackers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
How many other folks have had the "Brake Fluid should have been changed in 2001" error appear in the Connected Drive app? My car is only 2 weeks old and it just popped up today.

Presuming I'll have to take it into a dealer. What was the resolution and how long did it take?
Mine had this when I collected it from the lease company. It requires a trip to a dealer (I did ask if it could be done remotely) , about twenty minutes all told to fix it, enough time for a BMW coffee and cake, they were very apologetic but didn't have an explanation.

Odd that yours has happened after a few weeks of ownership, I had assumed it was a setting up the car fault.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post
Quote:

Mine had this when I collected it from the lease company. It requires a trip to a dealer (I did ask if it could be done remotely) , about twenty minutes all told to fix it, enough time for a BMW coffee and cake, they were very apologetic but didn't have an explanation.

Odd that yours has happened after a few weeks of ownership, I had assumed it was a setting up the car fault.
Thanks, I was going to take it to my local dealer but will try its "place of origin" at Coopers in Reading on my way to/from work. Hopefully they can sort it out tomorrow at some point...

How's ownership going?? My wife borrowed mine for a girls weekend away in Tenby, just waiting for it to get back... :-) Sold the Mondeo via Autotrader this weekend, surprisingly easily and got a reasonable price for it too. Family luggage capacity now substantially reduced :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 02:31 PM   #4
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I was going to take it to my local dealer but will try its "place of origin" at Coopers in Reading on my way to/from work. Hopefully they can sort it out tomorrow at some point...

How's ownership going?? My wife borrowed mine for a girls weekend away in Tenby, just waiting for it to get back... :-) Sold the Mondeo via Autotrader this weekend, surprisingly easily and got a reasonable price for it too. Family luggage capacity now substantially reduced :-)
Dropped it into Cooper Reading this afternoon on the way back from work, quite like how it stores all the car data in the key so they didn't even need to hook the car up.

Less good was their response. "Oh, it's software problem, we'll need it all day. Can fit you in, in about 2 weeks. Perhaps try your lease company they may be able to sort something quicker..."

Interestingly the report printout does indicate a new software version available. Nothing from the car when I try the OTA update.

Now booked into my local dealer on Monday for further investigation. Somewhat different experience from the 20 minute "coffee & cake" fix :-(

Gotta love the BMW customer experience consistency...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:49 AM   #5
Fm2503
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 330E

Mine has done this too, popping into BMW Crewe tomorrow who reckon it’s a quick job
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
XavierC
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

I've been to the dealer 3 times for this.

It keeps coming back after a week or two.

The last time software 07.2019.55 was installed.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #7
KyleKatarn
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

I got this same problem and, after complaining to my dealer over the phone, they sent me a set of instructions that I'm almost sure was a copy paste of this post:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1637292

The best thing, though... it worked! Saved me a trip to the garage.
Appreciate 2
      10-31-2019, 04:31 PM   #8
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

#metoo!

Got the 330e about 2 weeks ago. Day 1 it was fine. Day 2 the brake fluid warning message came up on both the app and the car. Phoned BMW, told it was a quick job to bring it in... 4 hours later at the dealership... sorted... until midnight the same day... at exactly midnight the app got a notification saying guess what, brake fluid change required since 2001! Was also back on the car as well. Now being referred to a tech expert who’s apparently in dialogue with BMW in Germany but am not overly being kept very up to date on any timescales. Pretty poor really.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 04:58 AM   #9
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire330e View Post
Got the 330e about 2 weeks ago. Day 1 it was fine. Day 2 the brake fluid warning message came up on both the app and the car. Phoned BMW, told it was a quick job to bring it in... 4 hours later at the dealership... sorted... until midnight the same day... at exactly midnight the app got a notification saying guess what, brake fluid change required since 2001! Was also back on the car as well. Now being referred to a tech expert who’s apparently in dialogue with BMW in Germany but am not overly being kept very up to date on any timescales. Pretty poor really.
So far mine hasn't come back on after the .55 upgrade, now been a couple of weeks...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #10
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, I’ll have a look and see which version I’m on.

Quite brilliantly, the same dealership I took it into for sorting/is set up as my default service partner, phoned me today to book in because they’d noticed my brake fluid change was due!!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:01 AM   #11
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So far mine hasn't come back on after the .55 upgrade, now been a couple of weeks...
So I’m on software version .53!! Somewhat frustrating since I took it in last week and it was supposedly updated.
Which was your local dealer please so I can ask mine Sandal Huddersfield, to speak to yours for the fix!?

Am relaying this to them now but may be useful to get them to talk to your dealer!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:26 AM   #12
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:
So I’m on software version .53!! Somewhat frustrating since I took it in last week and it was supposedly updated.
Which was your local dealer please so I can ask mine Sandal Huddersfield, to speak to yours for the fix!?

Am relaying this to them now but may be useful to get them to talk to your dealer!

Thanks!
All your dealer needs to do is download the latest iStep from BMW. I believe current is 07/2019.70 however 11/2019.xx should be out later this week.
      11-04-2019, 07:41 AM   #13
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
All your dealer needs to do is download the latest iStep from BMW. I believe current is 07/2019.70 however 11/2019.xx should be out later this week.
Thanks for this.

They’re saying I can take it in for (another) update but Saying BMW havent formally confirmed if a particular software update officially fixes it as yet.

Apparently some are still fixing with the updates and then re-faulting... but I have to wonder if am on .53 and it’s as far on as .70 now!

Let’s see if the next visit resolves it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #14
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Thanks for this.

They’re saying I can take it in for (another) update but Saying BMW havent formally confirmed if a particular software update officially fixes it as yet.

Apparently some are still fixing with the updates and then re-faulting... but I have to wonder if am on .53 and it’s as far on as .70 now!

Let’s see if the next visit resolves it.
BMW doesn't supply release notes for their software. Only way dealers will know is if they open a TSARA case and BMWUK confirms this software update fixes the specific issue.

However, I can say with certainty that this is not a guarantee. My last car had a bug I was waiting to be fixed. Dealer kept opening Puma cases and BMWNA told them 3 times the current software fixed that issue, when it didn't. I ended up returning the lease with the bug never fixed. It was known and confirmed by my dealer and in 2 years, and 3 software updates, never fixed.

It's an imperfect world we live in.
      11-06-2019, 09:22 AM   #15
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Well I’ve been in today for my .70 software update.
Let’s hope this does the trick.
So far the fault isn’t showing on the car or the App. Was a little apprehensive opening the app as it was there before I took the car in, but thankfully it’s gone from both.

Let’s see if it fixes it permanently this time or returns overnight again.

Pray for me please!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:24 AM   #16
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Update:

After the .70 software update it’s been fine so far overnight and today. This is the first time since it was delivered it’s not had the fault, or, the fault has come back overnight following previous attempt to reset it.

So far so good. No brake fluid service message on either the car or the app.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:38 AM   #17
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

A car that needs a fluid change 2 decades before it is built. And they say these cars are expensive to maintain! #y2kbug2019
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #18
seacow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e - incoming, 1989 E30 316i

This came on this evening and just reset using the link above - took less than a minute! Let’s see how long it lasts!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #19
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacow View Post
This came on this evening and just reset using the link above - took less than a minute! Let’s see how long it lasts!
Yeah, mine has come on again, 2nd time now after 1st time reset by the dealer... Will try the reset thingy tomorrow to save another trip.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #20
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, mine has come on again, 2nd time now after 1st time reset by the dealer... Will try the reset thingy tomorrow to save another trip.
Oh no!! Mine has been fine for 5 days since the software update to 07/2019.70, but for some reason I’ve had it in my head that tonight will be the real test! No idea why, just something in my head about it being Sunday night! Reading this is adding to my disproportionate angst on the matter!

Last time it came on, for me it was bang on midnight (notification in the app and also was in the car the next morning - didn’t go out and check it at that time!).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 03:22 AM   #21
seacow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e - incoming, 1989 E30 316i

Well mine was on again this morning hey ho. Will try and reset again later. Not sure I can be arsed going to dealer if it’s not going to hold!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #22
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

So my local dealer just called me to say BMW have now confirmed this issue is officially fixed by means of a software update, but as of yet they don’t have that update at my dealer.
If my problem reoccurs (fixed so far for a week by the .70 update) then I’ve to book in for the official fix.

Tried asking what else it fixes but he didn’t know.

So anyone holding off booking it in, looks like the software update now imminently hitting BMW service partners officially fixes this, we hope!
Appreciate 0