Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Why does BMW's navigation (real-time traffic) suck so much?

02-07-2020, 09:43 PM   #1
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Why does BMW's navigation (real-time traffic) suck so much?

I love the BMW navigation interface and I love seeing it in the HUD. But in the Northern VA area with consistently heavy traffic the system is a joke. Google Maps, Apple, Waze are all 10x better at identifying the best routes to avoid traffic. When I leave the office, the BMW "fastest route" is the same 95% of the time and it leads me right into a terrible traffic jam 95% of the time. Only after getting stuck in traffic does the navigation system recognize the traffic and add +20 minutes to my route. I have checked all the settings in iDrive, everything is setup properly. My wife's X3 is just as bad.

BMW needs to allow CarPlay to display in the HUD or they need to fix their terrible "real-time" traffic. Or better yet, BMW should consider licensing the IP from google and integrate their traffic and route knowledge into the BMW system.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      02-07-2020, 10:08 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

CarPlay in the HUD would be amazing!
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      02-08-2020, 08:39 AM   #3
37b
☠️
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
I love the BMW navigation interface and I love seeing it in the HUD. But in the Northern VA area with consistently heavy traffic the system is a joke. Google Maps, Apple, Waze are all 10x better at identifying the best routes to avoid traffic. When I leave the office, the BMW "fastest route" is the same 95% of the time and it leads me right into a terrible traffic jam 95% of the time. Only after getting stuck in traffic does the navigation system recognize the traffic and add +20 minutes to my route. I have checked all the settings in iDrive, everything is setup properly. My wife's X3 is just as bad.

BMW needs to allow CarPlay to display in the HUD or they need to fix their terrible "real-time" traffic. Or better yet, BMW should consider licensing the IP from google and integrate their traffic and route knowledge into the BMW system.
I had the exact same problem when I lived in nova. Even with nav and connected drive I still got a phone mount so I could use Waze (this was my F31). I am disappointed to hear it hasn't gotten any better.

OTOH one of the main reasons I moved was to be rid of all that traffic so maybe it won't be an issue for me now. 🤷🏻*♂️
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 06:08 PM   #4
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

When Android Auto gets released in June for BMW, it will support navigation through the instrument cluster and HUD. First car to do so I believe.

I am sure Apple will eventually catch up.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
37b
☠️
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
When Android Auto gets released in June for BMW, it will support navigation through the instrument cluster and HUD. First car to do so I believe.

I am sure Apple will eventually catch up.
It's up to BMW to implement it. CarPlay already supports it.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/20/2...een-no-support
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2020, 05:46 PM   #6
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post

I don't seem to have this problem.

Mine shows delays when the map first calculates my journey and then will update when driving asking me to change route giving a few options each time.

Have to agree though, displaying Waze or Google Maps in the HUD would be really useful.
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0